MT Elk Lawsuit

Gerbdog

WKR
Gets a little too political in these threads...

I think most (almost) agree we would like our public land to stay public.
We would like access to public land.
We want fair chances at tags, same as everyone else, whatever those rules may be (im against welfare tags)

Which pretty much puts me squarely against the group that is behind that lawsuit. I guess if they had it their way it'd be old school England again and only the wealthy and the king are allowed to harvest animals on the land.

Sounds pretty dang oppressive.

OP
S.Clancy

S.Clancy

WKR
Possibly true but a majority did. Texas style elk management for the well heeled in 3....2....1.

Combined with transferrable land owner tags, and a beat down to 93k elk will continue.

Hank and GG were great choices for the wealthy NR landowners in Montana.
Yea, I don't have a lot of hope that he will be a single term gov either. So, 6 more yrs of this.

Yeah, we need to elect some REAL leaders in this state....like Liz Cheney!
She would be an amazing leader of Clown Town.

I did see a Wyoming judge basically said corner hopping is not a problem. So that opens up some land in Wyoming...for the residents since 90% of tags will go to them :)

Such a simple thing we are trying to do in hunting, such a convoluted system for doing it.

Gets a little too political in these threads...

I think most (almost) agree we would like our public land to stay public.
We would like access to public land.
We want fair chances at tags, same as everyone else, whatever those rules may be (im against welfare tags)

Which pretty much puts me squarely against the group that is behind that lawsuit. I guess if they had it their way it'd beold school England again and only the wealthy and the king are allowed to harvest animals on the land.

Sounds pretty dang oppressive.
I like this forum because it's largely about hunting and things tangential to hunting. I left all social media because I hated the politics and mean girl attitude everyone had when discussing politics. I feel like the discussions in here are typically on topic, and yeah sometimes we have to get too political but that is the nature of hunting in the 21st century. So a few jabs here and there are fine, and I appreciate all I can learn about legislation related to hunting.

I hate politics and they f--- up far more than the fix. But what can most of us non-billionaires do about it? Hunting is the one area I care about that we can make change and we can have success in local politics. So I'm all for a small amount of politics in my hunting forums....without it I feel like the billionaires will just win faster.

Augie

Lil-Rokslider
Ahh yes as everyone knows the best way to manage an elk herd is to allow more opportunities for hunting bulls specifically on private land LOL. If the landowners were really concerned about the elk numbers being above objective then they would be yelling from the rooftops asking for hunters to come and hunt their property allowing access. Instead they want general tags allowed to be used on private property when we all know they will just continue to restrict hunter access....well except to those hunters and outfitters who have deep pockets to pay for exclusive access. Honestly, FWP should make the play to just relocate the above objective elk populations to under objective parts of the state that has better public access as stated in the article. Then you'll still see UPOM stomping their feet for not getting their way even though the elk herds would be on objective.

Scoot

WKR
Elections have consequences... Montana elk hunters are getting exactly what was promised by those they elected.
Amen! Between these legalized criminals and the other big group of legalized criminals in MT (the outfitters association), they should all be strung up. It's so sad that voting for anyone is a matter of voting for who sucks less. But MT has a whole bunch elected officials who REALLY SUCK! I love the state and a ton of folks who live there, but SOB they are doing all they can to wreck it. It's so dang sad!

WCB

WKR
Amen! Between these legalized criminals and the other big group of legalized criminals in MT (the outfitters association), they should all be strung up. It's so sad that voting for anyone is a matter of voting for who sucks less. But MT has a whole bunch elected officials who REALLY SUCK! I love the state and a ton of folks who live there, but SOB they are doing all they can to wreck it. It's so dang sad!
MT has bigger problems than who is in office right now....wait till it swings the other way permanently because of how the big cities and demographics are changing. It won't swing back the way it was it is going to take a giant leap in the wrong direction. Ban on bear hunting, ban on lion hunting, trapping ban? sounds great.

Scoot

WKR
Yup. Like most states in the west, MT is in for some big changes and most on this site won't like them (me definitely included) . Gonna get ugly...

Like I said above, the options suck! Just gotta pick the ones that suck the least and hope the lefty commies don't outvote you anytime soon.

Last edited:
OP
S.Clancy

S.Clancy

WKR
Yup. Like most states in the west, MT is in for some big changes and most on this site won't like them (me definitely included) . Gonna get ugly...

Like I said above, the options suck! Just gotta pick the ones that suck the least and hope the lefty commies don't outvote you anytime soon.
I'll just move to WY then

BuzzH

WKR

The lefties aren't the ones waging war on elk and elk hunting in Montana.

Scoot

WKR
Buzz-- definitely agree! It's "our side" that is Fing this up so badly right now. But WCB is alludng to a different issue in his post too.

2 issues: 1) our side has slime ball criminals screwing hunters over, and 2) the landscape of politics in MT is changing quickly and for the worse.

Buzz-- definitely agree! It's "our side" that is Fing this up so badly right now. But WCB is alludng to a different issue in his post too.

2 issues: 1) our side has slime ball criminals screwing hunters over, and 2) the landscape of politics in MT is changing quickly and for the worse.
I really don’t think this issue is as much about left vs right. It’s more about ultra rich vs everyone else. There are super rich D’s and R’s. I don’t think any of them give a rats ass about us little people. Just so happens that the R’s are currently in power in MT. I doubt the MT D’s will do any less boot licking.

jimh406

WKR
Interesting how vocal people on this thread who don't live in MT want to tell Montanans what to do, and what our politicians stand for. Seems like they should be using their energy fixing their own states. All states need some work. At least then, they could direct their confusion somewhere else.

Interesting how vocal people on this thread who don't live in MT want to tell Montanans what to do, and what our politicians stand for. Seems like they should be using their energy fixing their own states. All states need some work. At least then, they could direct their confusion somewhere else.
What I said applies to my state as well. It applies to all western states, especially in the Rockies. Rich folks come out and buy a few hundred acres, or spoiled folks inherit a few thousand. Both groups start to believe their wants are the only valid ones. This case is very similar to the corner crossing case we just had in WY.

Scoot

WKR
I guess I was unaware one had to be from MT to comment on what's going on there. I'm a NR to MT, but I love the state and about 99% of the people I've met there. It's a great state! But there are problems there currently and more coming in the future and you don't need to live in MT to see things are changing for the worse for anyone who likes to hunt or enjoy the outdoors.

I'm from MN and you are definitely right- the problems in this domain in my home state are many and big. Some similar, but many different problems here.

Lastly, my intention wasn't to "tell Montanans what to do". I was just articulating my frustrations with what's going on there now and what appears to be inevitable change in the pretty near future. NR hunters who hunt DIY are getting bent over in Montana. Guides are getting welfare. The outfitters assoc is in bed with the politicians. ... and more. If you think I need to live in the state of Montana to comment on or care about these things, then we simply see it differently.

Sorry. We’re full. You can thank Robert Redford and that goddamn fly fishing movie.
🤣
Sorry. We’re full. You can thank Robert Redford and that goddamn fly fishing movie.
🤣
You know that movie's about MT right? Cry me a river we took the direct hit you just got grazed 😂 Anyways the movie is a drop in the bucket compared to the pandemic boom, and the Yellowstone series I guess? (never seen it)

Roam_USA

FNG
I’ve been in Montana more than half my life. I’ve seen both sides of politics run our wildlife agencies and as a moderate conservative I would take Steve Bullock back in an instant compared to this yahoo governor now. GG has come to call on all that political funding he had behind his campaign and the rooster has come to home to roost from his deep pocket constituency, simple as that. Timing was perfectly terrible, Covid put Montana on a rocket ship to the moon for wealthy folks seeing the necessity of having space during a time of heavy restriction and turmoil in large cities across America. The threat of re-defining the 1031 exchange structure has been around even in the Trump Era, could be a factor, not for certain… but it’s been on wealthy folks minds no doubt. The Montana ranch real estate market has never seen a bigger driver than a massive bull market slamming the back of a new wave pandemic in a world of media fear-mongering and the next level of polarization in this country. Red vs. Blue, my tribe your tribe… it’s disgusting. We have this incredible state where there’s plenty of room for public land hunters and landowners to co-exist, compromises on both sides, sounds like a balanced relationship to most. Unfortunately most don’t hold power, and a few get to call these shots.

I have a 9 week old son, my wife and I talked about children for a long time. There’s times we said “does the world need more people?”…. The answer was yes, but it needs more good people, and that’s our sole focus as parents. I dunno if he’ll have half the opportunity I’ve had in this state over the past 22 years, but I’ll go down swinging with my best effort.

To those who speak of Montana as a NR, we Montanans appreciate you’re best intentions for concern. As Montanans who live the day in/out of this state’s lifestyle, economics, grind, etc., we are even more concerned for the preservation of our home. Getting rich here was never a thought or intention, lucky or not, we have privileges that are a serious concern now. Rant done.