MT Elk Rut Update????!!!

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
What is everyone seeing in Montana as far as the rut progress? Are the bulls talking much yet?

Titaniumman

Lil-Rokslider
Well in my part of the 147,000 square miles I'm hearing from some guys that the bulls are starting to talk a little. It has gotten down to 30 degrees here that past two nights but still hitting the low 80's this week. I'm heading out on Saturday.

Jon Boy

WKR
Theres a thread on hunttalk, seems as though results are varied. Some places yes and some places no. Im headed out right now for 10 days (hopefully less!) Hoping to get my first elk!

Solitude

WKR
Took this one in SW MT on September 11th. Bugles were abounding on Tues/Wed as the cold front pushed through. Settled back down the last couple of days. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347676313.762841.jpg

flytrait

Lil-Rokslider
Just got back from a couple days in the back country in the SW portion of the state. Very quite hot and dry. I will be back up later this week for 10 to 12 days lets hope the temps drop some..

hobbes

WKR
A few bugles on the morning of the 15th, and bugling that night as well. Bugles on the morning of the 16th after a light rain cooled things off. A couple bulls really got crazy that evening and one of those again on the morning of the 17th after an even cooler night.

Lots of bugling last weekend in the west half of the state. Had several bulls screaming at me within 60 yards but no shot opportunity.

Jon Boy

WKR
Bulls in the crazies were fired up on monday morning. lots of hunters and had to go in 4-5 ridges over every morning to get into elk. The camp next to me found a group of 4 bulls together sunday night and killed to 6 points, put the tape on the bigger one and it grossed 360...I could never get the bulls on monday to come in. They just wouldnt respond to my calls. I would here them bugle, and throw out a small bugle back, 5 minutes later they would bugle in a different location. The wind was in my face the whole time. Seems like the bigger of the 2 was working his way up the drainage with some cows? Tried cow calls and they wouldnt respond to those either. Any suggestions? I came back for a few days to hunt the bull mnts with my buddy, they havent started up here yet.

Jon Boy

WKR
If today wasnt the peak in the little belts, I dont know what to expect tomorrow. I still have bugles bouncing around in my head. up at 2:30 to try it all over again.