MT General Elk

Boone-In-Wall

Lil-Rokslider
Now that I've drawn a MT General Elk tag, can I hunt any unit/regions that allows for General Hunts? I'm wanting to know if I can jump from unit to unit as long as neither of the units have a Elk Permit requirement. Even if they're in different regions? For example, I'd like to conveniently hunt unit 215 & 340 since they are adjacent. For some reason, I feel like I read somewhere that you have to pick a region to hunt. Perhaps I am mistaken.

Thanks!

bsnedeker

WKR
If there is a general season listed you can hunt it with the general tag. You don't need to pick a specific region or unit to hunt, you can jump around as much as you'd like. I typically hunt elk in 3-4 regions per year.

Echo

FNG
In response to this part of your post "For some reason, I feel like I read somewhere that you have to pick a region to hunt."

You most likely read about units that require a permit. Montana had a few regulation changes this year that restrict permit holders to hunt the unit in which they drew the permit.

The general tag is different and can be hunted in any general unit during archery and rifle. Be aware that some general units in Montana do have sections of the unit that require a permit. It's always a good idea to do plenty of research on the unit boundaries and regs for units you're interested in hunting well ahead of time. Pay close attention to the type of elk you're allowed to harvest in each unit with a general tag, as well.

Decent elk hunting in that 215/340 part of Montana. Like many districts in Montana though the elk like to refuge on private

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk