MT General MD Tag Odds

mproberts

WKR
Seriously!! I feel like I figured all this out a couple years ago and now have completely forgotten how it made sense... talk about a convoluted system.

Speaking of MT being messed up. They zero'd out my preference points right after this years combo draw, so I bought a point in July. It now shows 1pt on the online portal, but I started thinking about it and thought for sure I should have 2pts. I called them and on their system it shows me having 2pts and that nothing should have zero'd out earlier this year. It's like wtf guys?!

Last edited:
Apologize for asking an offshoot question: is it possible to draw a deer tag while also building bonus points for elk?

mproberts

WKR
Apologize for asking an offshoot question: is it possible to draw a deer tag while also building bonus points for elk?
Yes, bonus points are different than preference points. Bonus points are for limited entry permits, not the combo license.

No, if you meant preference points used for combo licenses. You can't draw a combo tag while building preference points.

I could be mistaken but I think it’s possible but you have to draw the combo tag and then not draw the elk permit you are after. Then return the elk portion of your combo. At least that’s how I thought it worked.
Anyone know if you can just purchase a bonus point without having a tag?

mproberts

WKR
I could be mistaken but I think it’s possible but you have to draw the combo tag and then not draw the elk permit you are after. Then return the elk portion of your combo. At least that’s how I thought it worked.
Anyone know if you can just purchase a bonus point without having a tag?
There is no way to return just a portion of your combo tag. Bonus points can be purchased after the draw from July-Sept

Yes, bonus points are different than preference points. Bonus points are for limited entry permits, not the combo license.

No, if you meant preference points used for combo licenses. You can't draw a combo tag while building preference points.

So I understand the difference. Maybe I should have added a qualifier.

I want to apply and have a shot at limited entry elk tags and also have a good chance at the mule deer general. I don’t want the general elk tag tho.

mproberts

WKR
So I understand the difference. Maybe I should have added a qualifier.

I want to apply and have a shot at limited entry elk tags and also have a good chance at the mule deer general. I don’t want the general elk tag tho.
You have to have a general elk tag to apply for an elk permit, if not your application will be disqualified. As stated above there is no way to return just the elk portion of your combo tag, or change it to a deer combo tag. Definitely not the most ideal system.

You have to have a general elk tag to apply for an elk permit, if not your application will be disqualified. As stated above there is no way to return just the elk portion of your combo tag, or change it to a deer combo tag. Definitely not the most ideal system.
As I recall, if one draws an elk/deer combo (general) license, but fails to draw a specific unit in the limited quota draw, you can opt to have the elk portion returned with a teensy refund. You can also get refunded for both deer and elk licenses. At least that was the system the last time I applied. And that deer tag wound up costing on the order of 8-900 bucks.

j_volt

WKR
Montana FWP sent me the attached back in September.

Attachments

• 2020 NR combo drawing preference points.pdf
    96.4 KB · Views: 32

mproberts

WKR
As I recall, if one draws an elk/deer combo (general) license, but fails to draw a specific unit in the limited quota draw, you can opt to have the elk portion returned with a teensy refund. You can also get refunded for both deer and elk licenses. At least that was the system the last time I applied. And that deer tag wound up costing on the order of 8-900 bucks.
So this is my understanding based on what I have seen happen to guys I know, but I could be wrong because it really isn't clearly spelled out anywhere.

Yes, Montana does give you the option when applying to pick what you would like to happen if you are unsuccessful in your elk permit draw... one of the options is to exchange your big game combo license for a deer combo license with a partial refund included. What Montana leaves out is the fact that they don't guarantee you that deer combo license (I am only basing this on the fact that I know people this has happened to).

So it's my understanding that while they give you the option to request that exchange it is not a guarantee you will get it, I have no idea what process they go through to determine all this. I sort of assume they submit your request in with everyone requesting to be on the alternate list. If anyone knows more about this please chime in.

Attachments

• Refund options.PNG
    Refund options.PNG
    177 KB · Views: 20