MT General Tag

King Kong

FNG
Hello team,
my friend and I drew MT general Elk-Deer tag. We are heading over for our first scouting trip in 3 weeks which will be focused in the SW corner. We are going in to this completely blind since I have not hunted Montana, other than mule deer up north in the Missouri breaks. Not looking for specific locations but would appreciate any advice on other general areas or units to consider. The plan is to find an area to set up base camp and hike out and back each day. Thanks in advance for any intel that you can offer.

WCB

WKR
Bring some heat for the bears if you are in SW MT. Also, SW MT is pretty general in itself. Depending on how long you will be out there I'd say pick 2 or 3 spots/areas to check. I personally wouldn't spend all of my time in one spot scouting as you may be scrambling if you show up during season and it is overrun with hunters or you can't find elk.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
There are loads of elk in Southwest MT, but it may be difficult to find decent mule deer on public. The breaks are a much better option for mule deer. Be prepared to be in grizzle country 24/7. The Gravellys and the Snowcrests would be a good place to start looking.

Preston

Lil-Rokslider
Expect lots of pressure, anywhere within 50 miles of Dillon/Ennis will have elk and lots of hunters. Better deer hunting on the east side of the state. Good luck

OP
K

King Kong

FNG
LOL. All good. I will make sure that I hunt with someone that cannot outrun me..... Elk is the focus early during archery. We have targeted 3 game units to scout on this first, one week trip. Thanks again.