MT HD 425 pressure?

crunchy

Lil-Rokslider
MT HD 425 general information.

I will be heading back to Montana in September for a few weeks. I've been doing some digital scouting, looking for new areas. 425 and 442 caught my eye

Are there tons of hunters there during archery season in 425?
Should I be looking elsewhere?

I've hunted 343 and 293, good for deer but not elk. I was fortunate enough to draw the big game combo and trying to sort things out still.

Not looking for lat longs just general information thanks

Last edited:
OP
C

crunchy

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure about hunting pressure as i have only hunted it once or twice but it is loaded with griz

You bring up a good point that I didn't consider thanks. Where they overly abundant, enough that the elk population is struggling?

Wapiti1

WKR
No, the grizzlies aren't damaging the elk population in the game range area. There have always been a fair amount of grizzly in that area. The front from Augusta north has always had a fair number of bears. My great uncle shot one on top of Castle Reef in the late 60's and we had many encounters (from a proper distance) over the years.

During archery season, that unit is mostly local elk, and can be tough. Access in 425 is somewhat limited, not impossible, but limited. The local elk might all be on private. Pushing further west up into 424 is probably what you will need to do.

If you go there, take fishing gear. The pot holes across the front, Nilan and Willow Creek are great trout fishing.

I'm surprised you didn't find elk in 293.

Jeremy

OP
C

crunchy

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate the reply.
Are you referring to it as hard hunting because of the topography? Or just particularly weary animals? Or the number of them?
As far as access it looks like there is a road going straight to the game area.

Yea I really would like to have found elk in 293. I was always right behind them. Plenty of sign. Saw plenty of them private landdown in the valley Nothing around the stemple. It was rifle season too though, so I think they had moved down to their winter range. I even have a place to stay there..it's my back up for now

Last edited:

Wapiti1

WKR
The front in 425 is easy walking for the most part, but access on that side is tough. You will have to walk a ways to get around some private sections. Once you get past the front, the terrain is pretty rough. Rougher than the area you were hunting in.

Access wise, yes there is a road, but just the one really. I assume you mean the Beaver Creek/Willow Creek road and Benchmark Rd. There are a lot of trailheads that horse trains use to get back into the wilderness. My opinion, you will find more elk during archery season on the west side of the B-W road, and along the Benchmark road (either side). The elk density isn't high there. They have a lot of room to spread out.

No hunting on the Game Range and where Gibson Reservoir ends going west and where Benchmark road end going west, the Preserve begins, no hunting there either. Look at the hunt planner maps on the MT FWP site.

It is really neat country, and beautiful. You'll see bighorn sheep which is just fun.

Jeremy

MLemmens

FNG
I'd like to freshen this topic, or field a PM from someone who wouldn't mind discussing 424 /442

MT257

WKR
I believe regs changed this year and require a 900 archery permit to hunt the game range.

jksiller

FNG
I'd like to freshen this topic, or field a PM from someone who wouldn't mind discussing 424 /442
Did you end up hunting this area last year? My plan is to hit it up this year - providing the fires don't change my plans!