MT or WY?

This probably gets beat up quite a bit but hopefully I can get some information from someone here. If you had to pick between MT or WY for a mule deer hunt which would you pick? Not “trophy” units, just units with good numbers of deer. I’m trying to make time for a deer hunt this year either before my AK trip or after. Good land access, good deer numbers and beautiful country. Thanks everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NUGGET

WKR
If you don’t want a trophy Montana is for you. A big public land muley is 150”. You can hunt them in the rut which is why a 150” buck is a Montana hawg

mhouck06

FNG
The research I have been doing seems to indicate MT would be your best choice. Im actually attempting to go there this year for the same type of hunt. MT seems to manage more for opportunity than trophy.

OP
rooster440
I think I’m going to focus on the central to eastern side of MT. I know the SW sees a lot of elk hunting pressure so I’m hoping I can stay out of the way. Are doe tags by draw only?

aidan_downey

Lil-Rokslider
I am from Montana and currently live in Wyoming. If you're not looking for a trophy Montana is certainly better. But if you want more opportunities at 150+ deer then Wyoming is the ticket.

netman

WKR
I agree with Aidan. I find Wyoming really friendly with mule deer. Biggest mule deer I’ve seen were in Colorado. The most in Wyoming.

OP
rooster440
Hoping to head that way this fall. Looking for units with good population, good access and decent harvest statistics seems to be the huge issue. A backcountry hunt for a solid mule deer with the chance at a doe seems like one hell of a hunt!

Rich M

WKR
Hoping to head that way this fall. Looking for units with good population, good access and decent harvest statistics seems to be the huge issue. A backcountry hunt for a solid mule deer with the chance at a doe seems like one hell of a hunt!

I just did a bunch of research with similar requirements. The thing I noticed was the high hunter density in the areas with higher kill numbers. Another thing was smaller bucks cause they all get shot.

Still researching... Best of luck to you.

mhouck06

FNG

I’ve used go hunt for my research. Really helped me narrow down units where I can get away from the crowds but also have a decent shot at something nice.

morten

FNG
i have never hunted Wy but have hunted Mule deer on public land in eastern Montana. The area we go is pretty much a sure draw. We do a lot of spotting from the truck then stalking in. We see 30-50 bucks per day. of course lot of thee are small but still fun. if you are happy with a 20'' 4X4 you should fill your $600 tags. Dont be afraid to knock on doors. very few people will let you hunt anymore but it only takes one good ranch as some are 30,000 plus acres. If you go this route PM me and i can give some more specific details.

OP
rooster440
Another stupid question: if I apply for a 600 license, is it only good for #600? Or is it good for all of R6?

morten

FNG
Another stupid question: if I apply for a 600 license, is it only good for #600? Or is it good for all of R6?

We applied for a general license and it was good for the entire state except for restricted areas. I would contact the Montana DNR to be sure. They are very helpful and friendly.