MT Unit 455 Beartooth Game range advice

Tenormsster011

I had the great fortune of drawing a once in a lifetime tag. I've been getting in shape like crazy as I won't have horses or pack llamas for this hunt. I was wondering if anyone familiar with the area could give me pointers. Im a Montana resident and will be scouting it this summer/fall. I've always been a meat hunter and put in for this unit based on some friends who hunted it years ago but I was hoping for some advice from someone more current. Thanks to anyone who replys to this post. Your time is greatly appreciated

Last edited:
OP
T

Tenormsster011

The draw odds are around one percent with just the straight draw. This doesn't include the points system which would even make my odds worse.

michaelwilson950

I hunted a piece of private in 455 in 2017. It is veeeeery close to the game range. Don't know if my experience will be applicable, but we saw a ton of deer. I would assume as light as the pressure is on the game range it would be the same. We shot the 2 biggest deer we saw. I am sure we could have killed better deer, but we weren't being too picky. Beautiful country. What are the dates on the game range hunt?

Attachments

• 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    583.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 20171116_155450.jpg
    20171116_155450.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 73

BuzzH

I had the great fortune of drawing a once in a lifetime tag. I've been getting in shape like crazy as I won't have horses or pack llamas for this hunt. I was wondering if anyone familiar with the area could give me pointers. Im a Montana resident and will be scouting it this summer/fall. I've always been a meat hunter and put in for this unit based on some friends who hunted it years ago but I was hoping for some advice from someone more current. Thanks to anyone who replys to this post. Your time is greatly appreciated
Have you considered shooting a whitetail? I would if I had that tag.

mtblackdog

Not a major trophy unit. But you should find a good buck or two. A 160 class 4x4 should be shot if you find one.

Legend

Not a major trophy unit. But you should find a good buck or two. A 160 class 4x4 should be shot if you find one.
I second this advice. Just because it is a hard draw does not mean it grows big mule deer.

Flatgo

I’d focus on a whitetail in there if it was my tag. I’ve seen some crankers come out of that unit... and I am almost exclusively a mule deer hunter

OP
T

Tenormsster011

Have you considered shooting a whitetail? I would if I had that tag.
Absolutely I've considered shooting a white tail. I'm normally a meat hunter so the first buck that's as big or bigger than the does it's with goes down for me. But I want to show some restraint this year. So I'll shoot either species.

OP
T

Tenormsster011

I hunted a piece of private in 455 in 2017. It is veeeeery close to the game range. Don't know if my experience will be applicable, but we saw a ton of deer. I would assume as light as the pressure is on the game range it would be the same. We shot the 2 biggest deer we saw. I am sure we could have killed better deer, but we weren't being too picky. Beautiful country. What are the dates on the game range hunt?
Great bucks! Thanks for the encouraging pictures. It's a general season so I have all five weeks to go get them.

alecvg

I wouldn’t hold out for a monster, 160” plus should certainly be shot. I’ve seen a handful that big in the velvet up there, but nothing bigger.

Cody finch

4 of us had the tag in 2018 hunted hard through out the season holding out for big muely buck, we all ended up shooting a whitetail the last weekend of season. The best bucks we saw were in the burns and very difficult to find. We were all disappointed to say the least, if I hunted it again I would be in Elkhorn creek looking a big whitetail. Fish and game should list it as a whitetail tag not a trophy tag at all. Good luck.