MT vs. CO Dilemma

yoopshoot

Lil-Rokslider
This year I had hoped to draw a MT general elk tag. I was unsuccessful, however in anticipation that I was going to draw the tag, I had done extensive E- scouting and picked some areas I believed would hold elk. After not drawing the tag, I signed up on the alternates list and was way down the line like 500th in line. So I essentially wrote off MT and fell back to OTC CO and bought my CO tag.
I leave in one week for my hunt . This afternoon I receive an email from MT FWP that I am next in line and have an opportunity to purchase a MT general tag, should I choose to.

So what do I do? Do I burn the $600+ I have spent on my CO tag and buy the MT general tag instead? Or this close, stick with OTC CO? I would love to hunt both states but that is not possible this fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having just got back from CO, Burning the $600 doesn’t sound like a completely bad idea. I spent more time trying to get away from ATVs, SXSs and other hunters than hunting. Could be better in the unit you’re headed to, or maybe it’s the same in Montana.

Depends on your budget, 600 is a lot. Make the most of it wherever you end up. Good luck

Last edited:

HuntNTag

WKR
Not knowing where you are hunting and where you would have been hunting makes it tough to give you good direction.

My personal opinion as I work with clients for tag acquisitions and hunt planning, is that I’d take that Montana tag over Colorado all day but burning $600 is a tough pill to swallow for many.

Do what is right for the family, the pocket book and yourself. Consider thinking about how you will feel if you forego Montana this year. Will you feel like you will be thinking about what’s on the other side if you were in Colorado?

Even though MT would probably be a better hunt, you already spent the money for the CO tag. $600 is a lot of money to just burn. You could see if you could get your money back, CO is giving refunds if your hunting area is effected by fires.

Birddog3

FNG
I would struggle to loose the 600- try for refund cause your areas on fire- that said I’m in a similar dilemma have a montana tag but usually hunt otc Colorado. Right about now I’m missing all my usual haunts there, and just knowing the area and a plan helps. Good luck with your decision.

We are truelly blessed to have these opportunities.

I don't buy my CO OTC tag until after I have traveled to CO and I'm sure I'm going to hunt there.

I know in the past CO would give you a refund if you return the tag before the season started. I admit I have not read the regs thoroughly since they made a bunch of changes a couple or 3 three years ago. So that may not be valid any longer.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Which state will you look to in the future? How many days can you give Montana with two months to hunt ?

Hmmmm if swing for the fences and try like hell to hunt both!!! If you do get a crack at the Montana tag that is. It's to much of a coincidence to pass up.

Is his tag in unit 14?
It’s otc so no just making him aware a new fire started and they closed down most of the National Forest that comprises unit 14, which is where I’ve been hunting the last two weeks unfortunately.

OP
yoopshoot

yoopshoot

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate the feedback and insight. I am analytical by nature , so I made a list of pro/cons and the pros for me personally point to MT . I’d like to hunt MT more frequently in the future so I think I’m gonna buy the tag. I’m doubtful about a CO refund, but I’ll give it a shot.
I didn’t anticipate this opportunity so it was a little curveball last night when I was notified.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk