MT wolf

doin1

FNG
I will be relocating to MT next summer. It doesn't sound like enough wolves are being taken. Are the tags not being sold? Are hunters just not being successful? I don't necessarily want one but feel like I should help in conservation. Will I find it hard to get one?

Shrek

WKR
Poison is the answer to the wolf problem. How it came to be that if an animal doesn't live in all the places it once did it is endangered I have no idea. Under that thinking they need to put wolves , lions , and bears in new york city's central park.

Expect to put a LOT of miles on your boots/snow shoes if you expect to get one with your rifle.

I'm with Matt, trapping is the way to go FOR SURE. I think the reason not very many have been killed so far in Idaho and Montana is they are losing their status as a "once in a lifetime" predator hunt in the lower 48. People are thinking that wolf tags are here to stay, and they'll buy one, but not dedicate much time to that specific species. Another issue is that wolves are SMART! After the last few hunting seasons, they are beginning to realize that humans = dead wolves. Before hunting them, you would hear multiple stories every year of wolves having no fear of humans. That isn't the case anymore. I know of two friends hunting Idaho this year that saw wolves under 300 yards but as soon as they saw them they took off.

My .02 anyways.

Mike

littlebuf

Banned
I kinda hope there just not being tagged as much as there being shot.i think id be a real bad blood trail tracker if I was hunting wolves

Wolf tag is about the same as a bear tag now. Many buy them just in case they see one on their elk/deer hunt, but few are actually targeting them. I don't think they're easy to kill either.

Poison is the answer to the wolf problem. How it came to be that if an animal doesn't live in all the places it once did it is endangered I have no idea. Under that thinking they need to put wolves , lions , and bears in new york city's central park.

Wyoming is in the same situation with its wolves and our wildlife, and a few other factors. I wish we could all come to an agreement on the need to manage our predators, including grizzlies. I say we put rats on the endangered species list, haha.

I have seen a few wolves taken from Montana and they are pretty big. Until they drop the price for nonresidents I will stick with my predator wolf hunts :).