Mtn bike for hunting

wapitibob

WKR
If you aren’t a regular rider the weight and efficiency probably won’t matter, you’ll be pushing it up hills. I went full suspension from a hard tail and wouldn’t go back for love or money.

My Wyatt. Made in Onalaska WI. Great components, hardtail with lock out front forks which are nice when on hard pack. Awesome guys and superb customer service. Looking to add a trailer.
464230B0-BC90-45E5-B5E8-86AFE2F40270.jpeg3B6CEBF4-D204-4631-9106-F84252774A9F.jpeg

Savage99

WKR
I just went thru all this last Fall. I ended up with the Salsa Timberjack and couldn’t be happier. It’s rigged up for bikepacking and hunting, but still fun to ride on the weekend.

55c946acf807c1f45f9f302a6750cb19.jpg
218e98f4a33e9fd1f098cbe7cf2a6c24.jpg
ac33655b93a8234817b9506063041213.jpg

You can’t cheat the mountain

Where did you get the rear rack? And many of your cargo attachments look really useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

def90

WKR
I’ve mountain biked since the late 80’s, if you lose energy on uphills with a full suspension bike I’ve never noticed.

The fatter the tire the more rolling resistance but you will get more floatation in soft sandy conditions and you will get a larger traction patch for riding in snow. Larger diameter wheels will reduce rolling resistance. I would consider a 29 inch before a fat tire.

OP, you have yet to mention what kind of terrain and what kind of trails you will be riding on. Out here in Colorado I can’t think of a single place (well maybe one place out east where I whitetail hunt) that a mountain bike would be an option. Riding with a full pack, plus your cased bow or rifle anywhere out here and you will be worn out before you even get to the hiking part.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Biktrix Juggernaut here. Ebike with a Burley Coho Trailer on the back. I need to get out this year and take some photos of it all geared up. Its a great setup.

Attachments

• IMG_0078.JPEG
    IMG_0078.JPEG
    287.9 KB · Views: 36
  • Burley.jpg
    Burley.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 37

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I’ve mountain biked since the late 80’s, if you lose energy on uphills with a full suspension bike I’ve never noticed.

The fatter the tire the more rolling resistance but you will get more floatation in soft sandy conditions and you will get a larger traction patch for riding in snow. Larger diameter wheels will reduce rolling resistance. I would consider a 29 inch before a fat tire.

OP, you have yet to mention what kind of terrain and what kind of trails you will be riding on. Out here in Colorado I can’t think of a single place (well maybe one place out east where I whitetail hunt) that a mountain bike would be an option. Riding with a full pack, plus your cased bow or rifle anywhere out here and you will be worn out before you even get to the hiking part.
I have found lots of places to access with the bike and trailer that can get back in there fairly well. There are even parts of the continental divide trail you can ride on that are pretty scenic rides. 2013 hiked in on the Continental Divide trail and had 3 Mountain bikers pass us heading in. so its definitely doable. You are correct though. being in shape is definitely going to make life more enjoyable.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I also have a Salsa Timberjack and I love it for hunting. The 1x11 drive train is super quiet, which is a plus. The plus size tires are great for all terrain types. I was using an old Giant before this, and it was functional, but the Salsa was well worth the 1K or so I paid for it

Pasayten

FNG
I get what a fat tire bike does on snow, but what does it improve on a dirt trail? I hauled a bull out on a Trek 29'r once, borrowed a bob trailer to use with it but was a dumbass and didnt try it on my bike until we got to elk camp. Super sad! Didnt fit with the 29 in tires! Some pretty brutal 7 mile trips with a pack full of meat and antlers on my back followed. All good though it was still better than no bike.

I get what a fat tire bike does on snow, but what does it improve on a dirt trail? I hauled a bull out on a Trek 29'r once, borrowed a bob trailer to use with it but was a dumbass and didnt try it on my bike until we got to elk camp. Super sad! Didnt fit with the 29 in tires! Some pretty brutal 7 mile trips with a pack full of meat and antlers on my back followed. All good though it was still better than no bike.
yea, the bob needs a special attatchment and the correct yoke. i used a 29er yoke and bent it wider to fit my 26x4 tires, but it also works for my 29x3 tires.

Poser

WKR

Snow and sand is really the only advantage unless you just like riding fat tires, which are heavier and less efficient to turn. I’m always amazed at the difference in efficiency when I switch from my fat bike for winter commuting to my summer commuter bike. There is some argument for the “suspension” of fat tires, but they can also get real bouncy and out of control on you vs. conventional tires if the pressure is too low. It is a pleasure to ride a fat bike, however.

I have a set of 29x3 tires for my pugsley. I definatly notice when i put my 26x4 on. Basically i start the october\november hunting season with the 29x3 and move to the 26x4 when we get over a couple of inches of snow.

Whiteline

FNG
Going to try the specialized fuse 27.5 this year for whitetail in Michigan. Many great ideas here for mods and accessories!!

jsnyder

FNG
I am no expert, but went with the Trek Roscoe 6. I have used it for scouting more than hunting so far, but feel like it has been a good compromise bike.