Mtn Dew

OP
E

Elktaco

Lil-Rokslider
Regular old Mountain Dew! Me and a coworker were having a discussion whether or not it decreased physical output. I try to stay away from it in the mountains due to I think the carbonation might mess with my endurance and stamina. Does it or am I over thinking things and just go ahead and drink it? Btw I also drink a ton of water so I'm not worried about the dehydrated part

Regular old Mountain Dew! Me and a coworker were having a discussion whether or not it decreased physical output. I try to stay away from it in the mountains due to I think the carbonation might mess with my endurance and stamina. Does it or am I over thinking things and just go ahead and drink it? Btw I also drink a ton of water so I'm not worried about the dehydrated part
I think you're overthinking it.

Well in that case, I prefer pepsi.

One or two here and there won't hurt.

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk

AlleghenyMountain

Lil-Rokslider
Them that refuse it are few!

In all seriousness, when I see the pictures and read the descriptions of the elevation gains you're dealing with Elk hunting, I wouldn't touch anything but water unless I was taking an easy day. Except coffee in the morning of course.

Sapcut

WKR
I say don't drink Mountain Dew anytime ever, hunting or not. There aren't many nonalcoholic drinks that are worse for the human body. It's ridiculous bad.

I don't particularly want anything raising my heart rate more that the nonoxygenated air already does. It typically raises it 10 bpm at rest. Amp is not what is needed, imo. It's lung and quad stamina, know when to stop and rest but don't rest too long.

It's not the carbonation that will drag you down, it's all the sugar. If your not filling your nalgene or platypus with it, a little dew wont hurt. I personally can't drink it, gives me heart burn. Im with smokin x's, I'll drink a few Pepsi's at camp though.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

K_pem

WKR
I prefer sugar free energy drinks if thats what youre drinking it for, and ones with increased electrolytes and vitamins, ect are much better. In short however, the answer is no, it will not be detrimental to your elk hunt to drink a soda here and there. What is more detrimental is how many you drink at home on a regular basis leading up to the season, and how good of shape you are in going into it. You will more than burn up the glycogen stores during a day of elk hunting that the sugar in the soda will go back to replenishing. As for the carbonation or some particular substance in the soda decreasing perfromance acutely, thats straight up blasphemy and anyone here telling you otherwise has zero idea what they're talking about.

Im not just saying this out my behind, I have a B.S. in Exercise Science, have worked/competed in strength sports and bodybuilding for almost the past decade and have managed supplement stores. Also my best friend and hunting partner is an ultra marathon runner. He has done 50+ mile races and his go to at every check station is a large flat pepsi.... (flat so he can chug it down easier, he has regular pepsi at the ready as well)

eagle_eye

FNG
A friend of mine used to be what I call a Dew-aholic, maybe 6-12 a day. He is an avid hunter. Has taken one of the oldest Billies in the state of CO in the past several years. Has taken some really nice muley bucks. He always had a dew in his hand. He ended up developing Type-2 diabetes. I surmise it was all the sugary "nectar of the gods" he was drinking. He no longer drinks Mtn. Dew. If you were to ask me, I would stay away from the stuff, especially if it's a mainstay in your diet. Just might shorten your hunting years. As for this year, why not have a few dews. Think more like "how is it going to effect me 10 years down the road," if it's your go to drink. Might as well throw all the other sugary drinks in there too.

lots of Dew hate. Man im a little bummed out. You know that stuff is nectar after a long hard day. I can barely drink the stuff anymore as it is too sweet. But an ice cold dew hiding in the back of the truck can be a life saver.

kravguy

WKR
Hello. My name is Paul and I'm a mountain-dew-aholic. It's like my morning coffee. I'm good for 1 or 2 a day.

TheCougar

WKR
My buddy drinks Diet Mtn Dew and eats Doritos like it’s going out of style. I don’t get it. Meanwhile, I’m on the other side drinking a recovery mix and eating a protein bar. We’re like the odd couple in elk camp sometimes!