Mtn House - Eat it other than hunting?

Oregonboy

WKR
I've definitely done it a few times in a pinch. I will never understand why MH gets so much hate. There's a few flavors that's aren't great (teriyaki chicken and rice) but most are delicious. I always look forward to the beef stroganoff when I'm hunting.

bsnedeker

WKR
I ate one of the ice cream sandwiches my wife got for me to try it out....not a fan!

Marble

WKR
I'll get into my backpackers pantry stuff from time to time when I travel. It's usually their breakfast stuff.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
I would like to see a documentary along the lines of “Super Size Me” called “Mountain House Me” where someone eats nothing but Mountain House. My guess is they would be dead within a year. It would be an expensive and stinky way to go.
I read an article the other day on a through hiker for the pacific crest trail. He did it in something like 120 days. He was an athlete that regularly did athletic competitions. He began the hike with a battery of tests including cardiovascular measurements, BMI and something that measures the elasticity of your arteries. At the end of the hike, the same tests were conducted. His overall general cardiovascular condition declined severely. A comment was made that his arteries aged at a rate dramatically faster than other high risk segments of the population.

It was hypothesized the results were caused from the common poor diet of hikers, eating non fresh foods that were highly salted, sugared and processed.

It made me wonder if eating more, what I beleive to be, balanced and complete meals, instead of jerky, sugary candy bars etc, if the same results would occur.

xcutter

WKR
I read an article the other day on a through hiker for the pacific crest trail. He did it in something like 120 days. He was an athlete that regularly did athletic competitions. He began the hike with a battery of tests including cardiovascular measurements, BMI and something that measures the elasticity of your arteries. At the end of the hike, the same tests were conducted. His overall general cardiovascular condition declined severely. A comment was made that his arteries aged at a rate dramatically faster than other high risk segments of the population.

It was hypothesized the results were caused from the common poor diet of hikers, eating non fresh foods that were highly salted, sugared and processed.

It made me wonder if eating more, what I beleive to be, balanced and complete meals, instead of jerky, sugary candy bars etc, if the same results would occur.

I am in the category of eating junk food more when out hunting elk as I only get to do it a week out of the year. I really look forward to making my daily food ration as it's when I feel free to eat all the junk food I want. Specifically PB M&M's and Peanut M&M's. I think I ate 3 pounds of them in 6 days last year. LOL

Every time I come home from a road trip some of my freeze died food is missing. Wife is the confirmed culpret!

I like enough to eat it casually, but 10 minutes to pan fry a steak wins out 99% of the time.

I give it a good 20 - 25 minutes to completely rehydrate. Makes a huge difference.

Marble

WKR
I am in the category of eating junk food more when out hunting elk as I only get to do it a week out of the year. I really look forward to making my daily food ration as it's when I feel free to eat all the junk food I want. Specifically PB M&M's and Peanut M&M's. I think I ate 3 pounds of them in 6 days last year. LOL
I did that until 2018. I then cut out the candy bars which really sucked. I did miss them. But I noticed I ate my meals, drank more water and had less joint issues.

I guess the refined sugar messed with all of that stuff.

I still bring sugar, but not nearly as much.

Titan_Bow

WKR
Since being diagnosed with high blood pressure and an enlarged aorta because of it, I’ve not had a Mountain House or any brand of store bought dehydrated/freeze dried meals. They just use too much sodium in them, and when I keep my intake to 2kmg or less, I can control my BP with diet and exercise. The moment I start ingesting high sodium foods and highly processed foods, my BP goes through the roof!
I got into the routine of making all my own meals for hunting/camping/fishing and they are way better than a MH. I had actually eaten them at home often just to test how well a certain recipe rehydrates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moserkr

WKR
I would like to see a documentary along the lines of “Super Size Me” called “Mountain House Me” where someone eats nothing but Mountain House. My guess is they would be dead within a year. It would be an expensive and stinky way to go.
Id take that challenge lol. For some reason, Im one of the few where Mtn House agrees with me very well (on the mtn at least). Never eaten it at home. Tried every other brand and no problems either, I usually go with whatever's cheaper. I was blessed with liking all foods and having them all agree with me. Best trip was when we brought a “heavyset” fng backpack hunting with us. He brought every mtn house you could imagine including desert!! He was too tired to even eat so I gained weight on that trip lol.

That being said, this is my last year with freeze dried food. Going half homemade dehydrated this year, next year full homemade. Already saving leftovers for next year’s stash. Make extras, freeze leftovers, then dehydrate when I can fill the unit, and keep the dehydrated meals frozen until the hunt. My homemade meals generally cost $1-2 per serving, so Im saving lets say 75% of each meals cost. To top it off, I control the portions and ingredients, which I make sure are only the best.

z987k

WKR
Not only would I not eat them at home, when I take them on trips I try to find anything else to eat to avoid them.

NVVAHunt

Lil-Rokslider
Not Mountain house but have had a Peak meal occasionally when feeling super lazy. The biscuits and gravy is pretty damn good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't eaten a MH in years but will be eating some here in a couple weeks, I really like their Granola and blueberries w/milk and I hate granola. lol

mlgc20

WKR
Absolutely not! I am not a savage. The person who eats a MH meal at home is the same person that eats the premade gas station tuna fish sandwich.

Before a 10+day hunt i will eat a three day meal plan just as a system check...especially when trying new meals out.

Only to test different meals to confirm whether I like them. I actually don't mind Mountain House, but considering the cost I keep them for trips.