Mtn House - Eat it other than hunting?

We got back late from a hunt once and thought it would be a good idea to make some of the sweet and sour pork at home. I couldn't eat it after looking at it. It was not visually appealing. I prefer to eat it in the dark.

We will make an occasional raspberry crumble though.
If you must eat mountain house... it is best eaten in the dark when you are exhausted and starving. My brother was pleasantly surprised by the taste of chili Mac on our last hunt. To be fair he was exhausted and starving. If you’re wilderness bound, it is a good idea to test out every single thing you’re taking at home. Really sucks when you make dinner and can’t choke it down.

edit: The MH stroganoff and lasagna are also edible… When you’re exhausted and starving.

Honestly if they didn't f with my azz so bad I'd eat them when car camping, but other than backpacking the answer is NO!

TheGDog

WKR
I do every time i feel like i need my crap to explode violently.
You gotta learn what are you trigger ingredients for IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) and then just search for their food items which don't have them. For myself, it's any kind of Bell Pepper. Tongue likes the tastes, everything else? No bueno. It's hard to find items without these types of ingredients because it seems this is often how they go about offsetting how the dehydration process makes flavors go bland. They just hurl a buncha peppers and spicy isht at the problem. They do this for the VAST MAJORITY of this type of product! And it sucks majorly!

Their Beef Stroganoff is tasty and doesn't cause disruption like that. Their Chicken and Rice doesn't cause disruption like that... but that particular meal can be hard to finish it. And that particular one can cause me acid reflux. So for now just Beef Stroganoff and the Biscuits and Gravy for breakfast.

LOVE their Biscuits and Gravy, but all the black pepper they put in it tends to make me gassy. That one though, I enjoy it enough I'll put up with that aspect. Just because it tastes so damned good on cold mornings.

TheTone

WKR
I’ve had a biscuits and gravy or two at home. Ate multiple other MH as meals on work days, my job has me outside and remote most of the time

gabenzeke

WKR
The birthing process is so bad after eating them that I wouldn't feed one to an enemy. I only eat them in the mountains and only a couple in a trip as a last resort.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Aces11

Lil-Rokslider
I have never considered making one at home, at the end of a long day in the mountains I look forward to eating one though.

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
I agree with the spattering of comments. lol

But there is just one Mtn House meal that I will eat when not outdoors

These Turkey Dinners are pretty good

06017A6D-C53F-4F68-AAAF-2ADB8065CD08.jpeg

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I won't touch the stroganoff......nasty stuff. But the lasagna I could eat anytime, and have. I add more water than most probably do.....but I do that with most of them and eat them a little soupy. I add the normal boiling water, but then add cold water to make it cool enough to eat it. I love good chili mac, but not a fan of MH's attempt at it. I also don't have the intestinal issues that some seem to have from it. I could see that being a downer. Maybe I'm just used to all that salt with my normal diet??? You know they use salt in water to initiate part of the "cleanse process" with cleanses. Perhaps that's the issue for most. I don't mind all the salt, because I'll sweat most of it out every day while elk hunting and need to replenish it.

Last edited:

hunt1up

WKR
Other than all the salt I really don't hate MH meals at all. I much prefer Pack-it-Gourmet though, and Heathers Choice if I wanna feel like I'm eating something healthier.

I've eaten a few at home in the earlier days of eating them. Had to know what to expect.

Northpark

WKR
I honestly don’t mind MH at all, though I prefer Peak refuel. Not a picky eater though in the slightest.

I really wouldn’t eat any at home mostly due to cost and the abundance of game meat in my freezer.

Little Debbie is a saint, and has her own food group as far as I'm concerned. The chocolate Fall Party Cakes are my all time favorite.

I prefer the Christmas tree cakes personally.

TheGDog

WKR
Here-Here! on the testing them out at home first before relying upon them in the field!

I ALWAYS do that with a food stuff I'm considering adding to the repertoire. With my Acid Reflux and then sensitivities to certain kinds of peppers (Bell). I gotta first check the ingredients list much more thoroughly than most would. It sucks. But ya know what sucks worse? Having acid belch back up into your voicebox out in the middle of TimbukThree! Or... as that other gentleman expressed it, having a less-than-pleasant situation on the back-end. I already don't like having to deal with taking a dump out there, so I certainly don't want to make that worse and make a situation that requires more effort in cleaning after.

Plus, when I'm out there I try to think about the way ingredients would smell on my breath while on the sit. I mean, I usually have a piece of Extra spearmint gum I'll chew on after a midday snack when don't have opportunity to brush yet. But some types of meals can make ya belch up a lil all day from the belly, so it's not like the gum can even do anything about those blurps of gases from within the stomach. And you just know if it's because of some spicyness to the food, the deer's gonna smell that very different to his environment spice and those stomach acid smells inter-twined in there too. So I try to pick stuff to eat where that's less likely to happen. And mostly just so I can remain quiet in close quarters situations that this spot was presenting me with.

Drenalin

WKR
I tried Peak's beef stroganoff this weekend; I know it's not Mtn House, but I'd eat that meal anytime and anywhere!