MTN OPS Merino Wool

KHNC

WKR
Question is : Is mtn ops merino worth paying 25% more than Blackovis? Based on this review, it does not appear to be the case. Thanks for the review.

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Question is : Is mtn ops merino worth paying 25% more than Blackovis? Based on this review, it does not appear to be the case. Thanks for the review.

I didn’t see any reason to pay extra for either brand. If you like the weight and color etc, you’re safe to shop for the lowest price in this case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

taybou

FNG
I've liked the black ovis merino so far this season. The lightweight hooded long sleeve (150gm I think?) has been great, not too hot, durable enough. I've picked up the couple pieces I have off camofire for 40-50% off their retail. It's been by far the best value I've come across for merino if you're ok with solids.

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've picked up the couple pieces I have off camofire for 40-50% off their retail. It's been by far the best value I've come across for merino if you're ok with solids.

Same here

BjornF16

WKR
Can you speak to durability, season to season?

I had several pieces from another well known company that didn't last one season without significant holes developing in the garments.

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can you speak to durability, season to season?

I had several pieces from another well known company that didn't last one season without significant holes developing in the garments.

I had the same problem in the past which made me super suspicious.
The Black Ovis shirts haven’t shown any signs of significant wear and tear. I can send you some photos. The earlier shirts had more obvious piling than this second round of shirts.

I think the biggest “issue” is to remember that it is wool and to wash it correctly. If you cook out the lanolin then it will lose its effectiveness. If that happens, you can’t really tell just by looking at it. You could end up wearing wool that doesn’t perform.

I can post pics of my most highly used pieces. There’s really nothing to see. No popped seams or holes, etc

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
1934697625fbc8098e8f56f5fc69c85d.jpg

Piling on the original.
8273a8985184e6a7815c126fb7cb7249.jpg

No noticeable piling on the new shirts

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
f49ec380da11aaad712f2cf9b9e68e09.jpg

607d3c61d42ef7e988d5a8ce38c0b5c1.jpg

The photos make it look like there is discoloration but I don’t see that in real life. I tried photos with and without the flash. Hopefully you can see the seams are still in good shape.
I wear the t-shirts the most.

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is the cover photo mimicking Mortal Kombat?

Haha.
I was trying to be puny... The two brands ended up being so similar, I thought it would be funny to represent the outcome of the article in the lead photo. Mortal Kombat would have been a great title though!

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Had my first hunt wearing the Mtn Ops Merino Crew Shirt this evening after work. Temperatures were low 50’s. I wore only the Crew Shirt and a camo cotton t shirt over it. I did work up a lil bit of a sweat going in, as I had to carry my 8 year old daughter on my back across the creek, a mountain snot covered rock stream wearing rubber boots. Of course this meant me crossing twice as I had to drop the bow off on the other side first before I could haul her. So I thought cool this will be a good test to see if it wicks the moisture away while sitting in a stand and sure enough it was a comfortable sit this evening. Didn’t see any animals, and on the way back out my boots started leaking and 50 yards from the truck my daughter found a way to fall in a ditch and cover herself in mud, so was memorable nonetheless.
eefa04dc796fc902a7a1b6237676fe66.jpg

Jim Carr

Super Moderator
Staff member
I got to put the shirts to some serious use the past week on my daughters elk hunt and high country mule deer hunt. We had snow and cold temps. I wore both the heavy weight 260 g and light weight 160 g exclusively . While I don't have a lot to compare these to. These were awesome on these hunts. I had 3K climbs in the morning which often leads to a soaking wet shirt which then leads to freezing my butt off on the winding mountain top. These made it comfortable from the hike up to glassing at colder temps. After this trip It will hard to ever wear a non merino wool shirt . On some of the colder mornings I combined both shirts which helped keep me comfortable. These shirts are very comfortable and nonrestrictive. They also almost always kept me at a comfortable temperature even when I got soaking wet in a snow storm. I love how merino doesn't carry smell's after week my bloody shirt ought to reek however it didn't at least that's what my wife said. Me a different story. My bloody shirts washed out quite nicely cant even notice they had blood on them.

.MTN 4.jpg.CS1A#2.jpg
MTN 3.jpgMTN 5.jpgMTN 7.jpgMTN 6.jpg