MTN OPS Merino Wool

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
10/7/20 update, the final review is up on our homepage here:

MTN OPS vs. Black Ovis Merino Review

56d7128f162f2c6e2771245249006cb3.jpg

In case you missed it... MTN OPS is selling merino now!! I’ve been running all three pieces this season.
701ad6f40ab60c595808b46d56cae2ab.jpg

The short term has been great.
bf29e62da5686b3f519740ea4036de99.jpg

We’ll see how it holds up in the long run. No reason to think it won’t last. Performs amazing so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, the shirts taste terrible ;)

I’ve been using Black Ovis’ NWT Merino for a few years now. Black Ovis has about everything Merino: bottoms, tops, underwear, beanies, gloves, neck gators etc.
Its been interesting to compare the two.

HuntNTag

WKR
Do they feel any different between the 2? Either or heavier or lighter?

I’ve run the badlands merino and the kuiu merino for years now and there are noticeable differences next to skin so I’m curious of your findings.

Thanks!

I got some of their merino early and tested it over the summer. I did several runs before washing and it still felt and smelt fine before I washed it and I'm a sweaty guy. Haven't worn it on a hunt yet where durability would be a concern but believe it would hold up just as well as any other merino. I agree that it is super soft and very comfortable.

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I did a 7 day backpack trip on the archery opener here in MT. I wore a MTN OPS top all day, every day. I slept in it. I hiked in it. I only took it off to dry it by the fire after a snow storm. It was flawless.
I’ll save the “big reveal” on how it compares to Black Ovis for the review. ;)
But if you’re interested in either brands, both are a safe play and good buy.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I did a 7 day backpack trip on the archery opener here in MT. I wore a MTN OPS top all day, every day. I slept in it. I hiked in it. I only took it off to dry it by the fire after a snow storm. It was flawless.
I’ll save the “big reveal” on how it compares to Black Ovis for the review. ;)
But if you’re interested in either brands, both are a safe play and good buy.

Thanks Howard

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do they feel any different between the 2? Either or heavier or lighter?

I’ve run the badlands merino and the kuiu merino for years now and there are noticeable differences next to skin so I’m curious of your findings.

Thanks!
There is a difference in weight. It's so slight, I can't really tell the difference. I'll message you some extra info.

My180sx

FNG
56d7128f162f2c6e2771245249006cb3.jpg

In case you missed it... MTN OPS is selling merino now!! I’ve been running all three pieces this season.
701ad6f40ab60c595808b46d56cae2ab.jpg

The short term has been great.
bf29e62da5686b3f519740ea4036de99.jpg

We’ll see how it holds up in the long run. No reason to think it won’t last. Performs amazing so far.

how is the sizing with their stuff?

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
It’s pretty straight forward. No surprises.
Most all the merino that I’ve used feels a little “clingy” but I’m a bulky guy.

My180sx

FNG
It’s pretty straight forward. No surprises.
Most all the merino that I’ve used feels a little “clingy” but I’m a bulky guy.

what is your height and weight? and what size did you go with cheers!

farmer14

Lil-Rokslider
Also interested in their sizing...I’m 5’11 170 lbs athletic build (that’s what my wife says to pump me up I think). Thanks in advance

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
what is your height and weight? and what size did you go with cheers!

I’m 5’ 10”
Chest size runs around 44-45”
Waist runs 34-36”
Preseason I weigh around 218-220 lbs
End of season I weigh around 200-205 lbs

Most all brands I wear XL on tops.
a30ade0af71b8da4dc573ecb25abfadb.jpg

Preseason, when I’m heavier, the belly and love handles are a tighter fit.
By the end of season, it’s much more athletic fit.

The lighter the top, the tighter the fit.
The heavier tops fit more loosely.

Preseason photos below
2c93103bdef1ecaed1579489008f59be.jpg

4cb6986e178d3f4f0952b0d45841c6c0.jpg

The heavier hoodies for both MTN OPS and BlackOvis are a much more loose fit.
3b3bf2cf23b23ed9f77cca6b0d54ac20.jpg

0e3f83b8ec3ae2436319d0d5f2ded3c5.jpg

Jim Carr

Super Moderator
Staff member
IMG-4636 (1).jpg

I have been able to spend time in both the battleground 160 gram and the 260 gram zip up. I spent quite a bit of time in warmer temps so the 160gram crew I ran it everyday out in the field I've washed it once so far. washing. Still never spelled at least that's what My wife Jenny said when I made it back home after a 4 day scouting trip. I was a little warm and did sweat a bit on some of the warm days especially gaining elevation. However it dried out quickly which is nice when to be able to be dry when I reach my glassing perch. Often on cool breezy mornings being dry makes a big difference and it will only be magnified come later in the season. I did get to spend some time in freezing temps and it was almost perfect on the ascent. One day to test how quick it dried out I dove in a stream It was dry within 30 min.IMG-4342 (3).jpg
IMG-4627.jpg I ran the 260 gram zip on a frosty morning steep hike . Ended up a little sweaty heading up the 160 gram would have been perfect on the hike up. However glassing on top the 260 gram didn't seem to retain any moisture and I was almost perfect temp wise. Very comfortable on top glassing. As for sizing I'm 6-1 205 and got the extra large I have to say they fit very well and both are extremely comfortable. I believe the XL would fit someone a bit bigger as well.IMG-4634 (1).jpg

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Checking in with my review thread here as well:

I received the 2XL sizes, I am built like sponge-bob squarpants, 5'7" about 250 lbs at the moment. Short arms and legs etc. The 2XL fit me just fine.

Other than some merino glove liners from Black Ovis this is my first experience with Merino Wool. Right away out of the package all the clothing appears very well made and stitched together good. Very lightweight, not bulky, feels a bit "smoother" or more "silky smooth" than the glove liners from Black Ovis.

So far I have worn them while doing some pre season scouting, as our hunting seasons here in the east haven't really kicked off yet in Virginia. Temperatures have been anywhere from the mid 60's to the 70's while I have worn the Mtn Ops clothing. I can tell you they wick away moisture very good and dry out quickly.

I look forward to updating this thread more and more as hunting season kicks off here for me, and I also have a Nebraska Mule Deer/Whiteail Hunt coming up in November as well. So alot more to come from me here, stay tuned.