Staff member
Ugh. I totally forgot. Hold on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don’t have any FL, so I couldn’t say. No idea.

thanks for doing this review. Stupid question maybe? have you reviewed these relative to kuiu / firstlite? guessing there's some really nice savings to be had in that department?

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
thanks for doing this review. Stupid question maybe? have you reviewed these relative to kuiu / firstlite? guessing there's some really nice savings to be had in that department?

I have not. I’m sure someone else on here has some experience but I don’t. Sorry.

Buzby

WKR
Despite what each company says, I have a hard time believing these aren’t made at the same chinese factory. Most corporate CS employees would have no idea what’s going on in the contract factories that are making their items. FYI Duckworth makes good merino grown and made here, If someone is looking for non-chinese wool.

CoMtnMike

FNG
agreed, like more options for merino. My 15-20 year old ibex (USA made) and Icebreaker are still going awesome, but ibex went out of business and all my newer icebreaker has holes in it. Been looking at FL, but the prices are made me hesitate... maybe all 3 will have good deals this month!

yellarcat

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone tried the Sitka merino core, specifically the lightweight? Looking for something for September elk.

ezwy

FNG
Did you find you used the kangaroo pocket at all?
I thought that was a nice touch, but wasn’t sure how functional it would be.
I’m still hoping to see “zip off” bottoms from black ovis. Their merino is really the only that I have any experience with due to price point. But I love it and wouldn’t mind adding a few pieces to the closet.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Alright Finally updating my review here as we are into our 2nd week of rifle season here in Virginia and I just got home from a Mule Deer/Whitetail Hunt in the Sandhills of Nebraska.

Overall I have to give this Merino Wool an A+ from Mtn Ops, I have worn it in bow season, muzzle loader and rifle season in Virginia, as well as on a couple squirrel hunts with dogs (lots of moving and walking) here in Virginia. All you eastern guys, I would guess, based my expereince you could wear this as a base layer under a t-shirt for 85-90% of bow season and be comfortable.

During my week hunt in Nebraska temperatures ranged from low 30's to a high of 78, it worked well as a 1st layer during the colder mornings and evenings, and as a stand alone layer, or a layer just below a cotton t-shirt on the hotter days while we were out there.

It wicks moisture well, is very warm for it's warmth to weight ratio etc. I can see myself using this for many years to come as long as it holds up, and look forward to when they will offer pants as well. It has a permanent spot in my layering system

Bo2103

FNG
Checking in with my review thread here as well:

I received the 2XL sizes, I am built like sponge-bob squarpants, 5'7" about 250 lbs at the moment. Short arms and legs etc. The 2XL fit me just fine.

Other than some merino glove liners from Black Ovis this is my first experience with Merino Wool. Right away out of the package all the clothing appears very well made and stitched together good. Very lightweight, not bulky, feels a bit "smoother" or more "silky smooth" than the glove liners from Black Ovis.

So far I have worn them while doing some pre season scouting, as our hunting seasons here in the east haven't really kicked off yet in Virginia. Temperatures have been anywhere from the mid 60's to the 70's while I have worn the Mtn Ops clothing. I can tell you they wick away moisture very good and dry out quickly.

I look forward to updating this thread more and more as hunting season kicks off here for me, and I also have a Nebraska Mule Deer/Whiteail Hunt coming up in November as well. So alot more to come from me here,
Checking in with my review thread here as well:

I received the 2XL sizes, I am built like sponge-bob squarpants, 5'7" about 250 lbs at the moment. Short arms and legs etc. The 2XL fit me just fine.

Other than some merino glove liners from Black Ovis this is my first experience with Merino Wool. Right away out of the package all the clothing appears very well made and stitched together good. Very lightweight, not bulky, feels a bit "smoother" or more "silky smooth" than the glove liners from Black Ovis.

So far I have worn them while doing some pre season scouting, as our hunting seasons here in the east haven't really kicked off yet in Virginia. Temperatures have been anywhere from the mid 60's to the 70's while I have worn the Mtn Ops clothing. I can tell you they wick away moisture very good and dry out quickly.

I look forward to updating this thread more and more as hunting season kicks off here for me, and I also have a Nebraska Mule Deer/Whiteail Hunt coming up in November as well. So alot more to come from me here, stay tuned.
I am 5’8 230 do you wear kuiu gear also? If so what sizes do you wear? I am new to Rokslide and was going to PM you but can’t see how. Lol hard to find a person with a similar build like me.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
XXL on the Kuiu freind, i have a coat and some pants of theres, XL is to small for me (although i do fit into most XL clothing elsewhere lol) I think Kuiu is made a little small

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did you find you used the kangaroo pocket at all?
I thought that was a nice touch, but wasn’t sure how functional it would be.
I’m still hoping to see “zip off” bottoms from black ovis. Their merino is really the only that I have any experience with due to price point. But I love it and wouldn’t mind adding a few pieces to the closet.

Sorry so late. I just saw this.
Personally, I use the kangaroo pocket quite a bit actually. Mostly to keep my hands warm. Through most of September and at least half of October I don’t wear anything more than my Black Ovis wool gloves. I use my pouch to keep the edge off just enough to survive the rough spots.
I never carry anything in the pouch though.