Mtn ops

LaHunter

WKR
It's quite accurate actually.
Many popular protein supplements are full of fillers, heavy metals and have very poor amounts of protein.
If you have a good diet than Omega 3 supplements could just be a waste of money even IF the quality is high.
If you're diet is crap and you're activity is so over the top extreme than maybe an electrolyte formula might not be just really expensive urine?

Your original claim is that pretty much all supplements are "scams" and their claims are "cons". That blanket statement is false. I'm sure some are, but not "pretty much all". There are high quality and poor quality supplements.

There are high quality trainers and poor quality trainers, we don't assume all trainer's claims are scams or cons do we?

Omega 3 supplements can have positive benefits regardless of diet. Many people have a genetic predisposition to poor lipids profiles.

Electrolyte supplements are used pretty widely by all types of athletes. A person does not have to have a 'crap' diet coupled with 'extreme' activity level to realize some benefit with them.

Your original claim is that pretty much all supplements are "scams" and their claims are "cons". That blanket statement is false. I'm sure some are, but not "pretty much all". There are high quality and poor quality supplements.

There are high quality trainers and poor quality trainers, we don't assume all trainer's claims are scams or cons do we?

Omega 3 supplements can have positive benefits regardless of diet. Many people have a genetic predisposition to poor lipids profiles.

Electrolyte supplements are used pretty widely by all types of athletes. A person does not have to have a 'crap' diet coupled with 'extreme' activity level to realize some benefit with them.
I stand by what I said
I didn't say ALL supplements were garbage. I would say the vast majority of the stuff out there is.
If anything has a big marketing campaign with flashy packaging, catchy names and big claims I call BS on it.

jp0212

FNG
I would agree with Coach Chris to an extent. The supplement industry is a huge multi-billion dollar business, and as always in that type of environment you will find a plethora of crap pretending to be great. I am not necessarily speaking about Mtn Ops or Wilderness Athlete, but speaking more to what you find on the shelves of most box nutrition shops (i.e. GNC, Hi-Health). If you do a good amount of research you will find reports where individual labs found the macro-nutrient breakdown to not be accurate at all, and additionally they found a ton of other chemicals in the supplements that shouldn't have been there. Before you purchase any supplement I would recommend researching the brands as much as possible. Also, people should know that getting nutrients through food is ALWAYS better than supplementation. Some really good sources to check stuff out are:

Protein Powder - Clean Label Project
Supplement Ratings and Reviews - Labdoor

Regarding the Mtn Ops vs Wilderness Athlete, and potentially others such as Dark Mountain and Bowmar Nutrition, I can't speak to their quality much as they don't go into detail much. Finding legitimate quality is tough because even the claims they make are sometimes tough to understand. Looking at their websites, neither Mtn Ops nor Dark Mountain make any claims regarding their quality practices. Wilderness athlete states they utilize products made exclusively in NSF certified facilities. That is an independent, third party organization you can pay to periodically inspect your facilities. Bowmar Nutrition makes a statement on their website the utilize GMP certified facilities, but that may not mean much. GMP (Good Manufacturing Processes) are a requirement by the FDA, so stating they utliize those facilities is simply stating they are keeping everything legal at the minimum standards set forth. The only caveat is they might have meant some other certification (such as NSF) but didn't state it. Pretty unlikely. I would have to give the nod toward Wilderness Athlete here given they are willing to pay for the NSF certification. Some really good sources about this information are:

Facts About the Current Good Manufacturing Practices (CGMPs)
The Truth About GMP Certifications for Supplements - Transparent Labs

I know I really want to support all 4 of those brands as they support hunting, but personally I would prefer to use the highest quality products on the market. If you are looking for really high quality supplements I would check out Promix. Note, I spend my own money on their products and have absolutely no affiliation with them.

*zap*

WKR
Never have used any mtn ops...I have found that metabolic nutrition has very good products. Their TAG glutamine recovery supplement is awesome. Normal glutamine is mostly absorbed in the gut and very little reaches the muscle cells thru the bloodstream, TAG is specially formulated to go 100% to the bloodstream. It absolutely works extremely well, when used after any very strenuous activity when you are completely drained and you know your normal recovery time I guarantee you it will half the recovery time. If I am really beat down I take a dose every two hours and am like new after 6 hrs. Without it, it takes a day to feel new again, maybe more. But I am 62 and push hard....recovery at my age takes longer than it does for a young pup....:D

geoff995

WKR
There stuff is pretty expensive for what it is. I can generally buy 2 of another brand (wilderness athlete for me) for the price of 1 mtn ops.

Conbriden

FNG
I take the ignite but I think you could find a better price on a supplement that isn’t marketed towards hunters and gives the same effect

Give the Syntha 6 protein and Recovery powder from BSN a try. Good quality supplements.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I like the TrueMass from BSN. Essentially a meal replacement. Good stuff. NO Xplode for pre workout

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Forest

WKR
There stuff is pretty expensive for what it is. I can generally buy 2 of another brand (wilderness athlete for me) for the price of 1 mtn ops.

I have used a little of each and like both, but when it comes to price (excluding sales) the price per serving seems almost identical on the products I have looked at. WA looks cheaper but serving sizes are quite a bit different. Am I missing something??

Why bother with the Mtn Ops and WA and all the donations, marketing hype, t-shirts, etc when you can just get online and get hopped up on some Mexican or Chinese supplements? Just roll the dice people! YOLO. Here's a description of one I pulled off the interweb. You tell me this wouldn't help you get a 400" bull or a 200" muley or plow a late season elk in a foot of snow? This stuff can cure your osteoperosis and menopause - Mtn Ops isn't claiming that - Yet.

Today, the medical use of it continues to be in place for breast cancer and severe burns. Sometimes, it is prescribed for osteoporosis and women going through menopause.
In regard to performance enhancement, Halotestin is considered one of the most powerful as well as the fastest acting of all anabolic steroids. Even with that reputation, only a small fraction of hunters actually use it. Halotestin isn’t going to build huge masses of Boone & Crocket antlers between your legs. What it will offer though is a surge in overall strength and increase in effective range with your Lapua. This can help a hunter engage in those challenging hunts that put critters on the ground and likes on the Instagram page.
While hunters mainly rely on Halotestin in elk season cycles, there is also a place for it in muley rutting cycles. Some hunters will add it to a rutting cycle in the last couple of weeks before they take part in a YouTube series. It should be used along with a strict diet plan and carefully selected camo pattern. Halotestin can be very effective but the side effects can also be harsh to contend with if one fails to punch his tag.
There is a concern about possible aggressive behavior with the use of Halotestin. While it needs to be addressed, the issue has been blown way out of proportion. It is true, the use of Halotestin can cause a hunter to behave more aggressively than before. As a result, it can cause a hunter to push themselves further and to continue working to become stronger – what many refer to as the Cam Hanes effect.
However, the use of Halotestin isn’t going to change your personality. It isn’t going to hinder a hunter’s ability to know the difference between bull and cow. It also won’t alter your decision making process when you get that 200” muley in the crosshairs. It can make you more aggressive like the “Apex Predator” but that isn’t necessarily a bad thing, it is all about how you use it. Many hunters use that aggression to challenge and motivate themselves. It’s all about the ad revenue, subscribers and likes!

Last edited:

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
I like the Ammo. I believe it helped me to drop over 20# to get ready for my sheep hunt last year. If that was placebo then so be it, but according to the nutrition label it has alot of quality food ingredients (flax seed, etc.) in it, as well as protein. Also tried Magnum, Ignite, and Yeti. After the holidays I have put back on all the weight, so I am getting refocused on diet and exercise. I did order another jug of Ammo as part of that.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Working in the personal training industry for 27 years makes you “supplement wary”. Lots of hype out there. Nothing replaces clean eating (healthy fats, H2O, lean protein, fruits & veggies, minimal processed foods). If you’re not investing in that, supplements aren’t going to make up for the difference.

Beyond that, I’ve seen empirical evidence (meaning experienced exercisers continuing to buy and use over the decades) for some of the better protein supplements especially when used as meal replacements, pre-workouts when needed, Omega-3, glucosamine sulfate w/ chondroitin, baby aspirin (for lowering risk of heart disease). Probably a few more I’m forgetting. This proves nothing more that a lot of intelligent people use them and report benefits.

MTN OPS is a sponsor on here so I’m already biased but I’ve used their Yeti preworkout successfully (there’s a test thread that me and a few members did on this forum a few years back) and I’m about to post on their sleep aid formula in a minute that I’ve been testing since last March. Take it for what it’s worth and draw your own conclusions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: