MTN TOUGH Backcountry Hunting Postseason Program Thread

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Need to go over a few:

Week 8 Day 1:

Supersets with some new strength exercises thrown in to shake it up.

Week 8 Day 2:

“The bear”

This was s challenging series of rower followed by swings or front squats. Burpees in the middle. Good one.

Week 8 Day 3:

Supersets deadlifts and straight arm pull downs followed by 2 more supersets at four rounds each.

I was too uncoordinated to do the RDLs on the Bosu Ball, so I ended up having to do them on the floor, and still almost fell over.

I like the progression from the last few weeks.

Tomorrow is NOT the mind Splitter, but looks equally challenging.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Week 8 Day 4:

“Mount Blackburn”

This was a pretty tough one.

The toes to bars were really tough.

T

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Alright everyone I’m back going. I finished out week 7 fairly weak but started week 8 this morning and I feel great.

Week 8 day 1.

Squats and incline bench are the same as before. The rest was switched up a bit. The Bulgarian squats are no joke.. I had about 40lb dumbbells starting out and ditched the weight for the rest just getting the hang of it. The hip abductors were also tough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Week 8 day 2 this morning. The workout was The Bear.

I ran on the treadmill for the cardio portion. Kettlebell swings, sqauts and burpees were the other exercises. I still hate burpees.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Week 8 day 3.

Another lifting day. Deadlifts were the same and everything else was shaken up a bit. I did the regular RDLs because I don’t have a half ball thing.. plus single leg RDLs are tough to do anyways!

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I’m away from the gym all week, so I will be just doing some body weight stuff to minimize losses and restart week 9 next week.

country

FNG
Just started the program today. Have been doing crossfit for a couple of years but looking for something new and more specific to what I actually train for. Was a tough one, modified 22's, took me 26:45. Looking forward to tomorrow. Think I am really going to enjoy this program in a weird kind of way.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Just started the program today. Have been doing crossfit for a couple of years but looking for something new and more specific to what I actually train for. Was a tough one, modified 22's, took me 26:45. Looking forward to tomorrow. Think I am really going to enjoy this program in a weird kind of way.

Thanks for joining in.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
This thread makes me feel so lazy. You guys really impress me staying so vigilant

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
This thread makes me feel so lazy. You guys really impress me staying so vigilant

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

This thread is nice for me because it keeps me somewhat vigilant. Holds me accountable which is the little push I needed especially early in the year like this.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Catching up on the rest of week 8.

Week 8 day 4.
Fairly simple day, I did the beginner status so only one round. 4 exercises for 3 rounds.. 40,30,20 for reps and calories on any machine you wanted. I ran on the treadmill because that’s all I’ve got.

Week 8 day 5. Initially missed this day due to a hectic ranch work day. There was fire involved so I somewhat caught up today. Instead of 6 miles I did 3 due to time. We’re in the middle of calving on the ranch so our schedules are crazy right now. I’ll continue finding time and chipping away though!

KHNC

WKR
Ill start the Mtn Tough program again first week of June. I have other programming i do in off season. I liked the backcountry one last summer for sure.

JohnnyR

FNG
This thread is nice for me because it keeps me somewhat vigilant. Holds me accountable which is the little push I needed especially early in the year like this.

Accountability: so easy to forego when it's just ourselves pushing ourselves.

I think the mountain fitness ideal is great. How to achieve it without some form of accountability, though - that's the tough part.

One of the reasons I really enjoy being part of a regular group (my BJJ partners) that has similar performance goals is the constant scrutiny of other "teammates." This is what we had in the military and it pushes you past what you think you're capable of.

Glad you guys are providing some of that for each other.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Week 9 Day 1 completed.

Squats and incline bench were 4 rounds at 6 reps per exercise. The rest of the exercises were 4 rounds at 10 reps a piece. The Bulgarian squats are still tougher than I’d like them to be. Another good lift workout!

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Last week was pretty rough. I was ill but feeling better now.

Back at it ... Week 9 Day 1:

I’ll echo Jordan. I liked the workout, but felt a bit woozy after. Not quite fully recovered.

I hope I get another shot at this one. I really like the strength supersets.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Week 9 Day 2:

“The Beast”

I’m still not 100%, but I feel better than yesterday.

I made it through this set OK but didn’t press the rower as hard as last time.

Looking forward to continued improvement.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Week 9 Day 3:

Feeling better yet.

Really liked the workout, but had to do RDLs on the floor. Still not ready for the Bosu ball on those.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gotta catch up on a couple.

Week 9 day 2:
More running and kettlebell swings/squats. All is good with those except the burpees mid-way. I don’t like those.

Week 9 day 3:
Like Matt I did my RDLs on the floor instead of the half ball thing. For one I don’t have the ball thing and even if I did I don’t have the balance to use it. Overall good workout. Will get week 9 day 4 squeezed in this evening.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Catching up again on posts from last week.

Week 9 day 4 and 5:

Cardio work with step ups and abs intertwined. I like the day 4 workout and doesn’t really take too long. Day 5 was interval cardio work. Looking forward to week 10!