Mtn Tough Gym Foundation - Best Slam/Wall ball subs with kettlebells, dumbbells or cable?

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
Loving Mtn Tough. Aging, with significant medical challenges but better shape than over 20 years and MTN Tough is now my training week. I train at our Y, and they don't have slam balls available for general use (has to be in crossfit, and has to be in class or with a trainer). Looking for good subs for slam ball and wall ball. If you have vid links, all the better. Thanks.

OP
Leverwalker

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
Light weight thruster is a good wall ball substitute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Excellent. Thank you. I had seen a series of videos but lost track of where they were, but by searching under the name found them again, and this one's great. Thanks again.

Seems like KB swings to all the way overhead are basically the same movement patterns as slam balls. You can even accelerate the downswing like I do sometimes if I’m trying to speed up a set of KB swings.

You could take a sledgehammer to a tire or chop firewood, but I don’t think the ymca would like you doing either of those as a substitute in their gym.

OP
Leverwalker

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
Seems like KB swings to all the way overhead are basically the same movement patterns as slam balls. You can even accelerate the downswing like I do sometimes if I’m trying to speed up a set of KB swings.
Yep, thanks, that's exactly what I ended up doing at the gym yesterday - engaging lats, shoulders, core, and powering down. I find that if I focus on ending with my butt slightly lower than my hips (i.e., starting position for deadlift), I avoid the "swing" way back behind me at the endpoint down, the bell ends up just slightly behind me between my legs, and this really gets the burn in all the right areas. More "power down" than "swing an arc down." Not sure this is making sense, but this helps keep everything tight for me.

OP
Leverwalker

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
You could take a sledgehammer to a tire or chop firewood, but I don’t think the ymca would like you doing either of those as a substitute in their gym.
Lol, yeah, when I was looking up subs that was one I laughed at. Right along with pulling a sled loaded with boulders.

BTW, if you've not seen them, these guys are pretty much the model of public gym etiquette. Or hunting awesomeness.

OP
Leverwalker

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
Slam balls are cheap on Amazon.
Yeah, but like buying individual dumbbells for home or similar, never been too much of a fan unless I'm pretty certain it's a fixed weight for something - otherwise I keep buying as I develop up.

bigbuckdj

WKR
For slams, I did decline medicine ball crunches on a steep decline bench. Like a medicine ball throw but don’t toss it. Seems like it might work some of the same stuff

OP
Leverwalker

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
For slams, I did decline medicine ball crunches on a steep decline bench. Like a medicine ball throw but don’t toss it. Seems like it might work some of the same stuff
That's an interesting one, I can see that. The only difference I might see, is the acceleration/explosive power v. constant motion of the crunch. I found the kettlebell is nice, because I can really "throw" it down with speed and force, using these muscle groups. But I think your idea is a great one nonetheless. Good rotation in. Thanks.

OP
Leverwalker

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
Slams are for abs/core. Med ball V-ups would be another good substitute.
I consider the slam almost a total body exercise, with the emphasis on power. I feel it especially in my lats, shoulders, tri's, core/abs, glutes and legs. Not so much chest or biceps. I've found the key is to set my lats and shoulders and avoid the arc'ing swing, and really hammer it down in a more linear way, landing just behind my feet between my legs.

Good idea on the med ball v-up. Truthfully just doing the 3 x 20 suitcase crunches without any weight as part of the warmup kicks my butt for now, but it's another great one for rotating in. Thanks as well.