MTN Tough Worth It

treillw

WKR
Thinking about joining one of their programs. I have a gym membership and access to hundreds of beachbody workouts through my wife.

Is their program worth it?

Thanks!

CHSD

WKR
I was in your boat about 18 months ago. I ended up getting getting the backcountry bundle. It was expensive but I have used it at least 12 of those months. I am glad I got the program. I would rather move weights in the weight room than do a beachbody workout, but that is just me. I still do some beachbody stuff but not near as much as I used to. I am not sure if I have ever been stronger in my life.

I am sure you can get workouts for cheaper but I like having a plan in place every time I go to the gym.

Poser

WKR
In my opinion, any “hunting specific” program is a joke and has a low ROI vs an effective barbell training program + hiking with a pack on. They are selling you on fancy and complex and people use soreness as the
Metric of success. Being in shape for hunting requires neither fancy nor complex training. Being sore is no measure of progression.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
In my opinion, any “hunting specific” program is a joke and has a low ROI vs an effective barbell training program + hiking with a pack on. They are selling you on fancy and complex and people use soreness as the
Metric of success. Being in shape for hunting requires neither fancy nor complex training. Being sore is no measure of progression.
I'm curious if you've tried the program or are speaking more in general?

Look at the volt athletic app. It’s $10/month and customizes to you. The feedback that it gives is great. I love it. It doesn’t have mountain hunting specific workouts, but I set it up for tactical/military training and it kicked my butt.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
an effective barbell training program + hiking with a pack on.

Mtn Tough’s programs incorporate both of these heavily.

Plus, they offer a ton of support to members, including stretching routines and excellent technique videos for each prescribed excercise.

It really works for me. I love being able to just pull up my workout for the day and get it done.

As far as ROI, that is up to the individual with MTN Tough. The cost is one and done, not subscription. If you buy it, it’s yours and you can use it as many times as you want.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Yes - Matt put it perfectly.

Their programs aren’t just what to do, it’s how to do it. Very heavy with sport specific stuff, weights, and variety. You aren’t watching a video for 30 min to do them, it’s an intro and workout notes.

Worth it? Yes, for me.

Whisky

WKR
I've tried a handful of various Mtn Tough workouts when gyms were shut down. I still use the 22s on occasion when at home, or on the weekends, to mix it up. They all kick my ass. If I wasn't buddy buddy with my gym owner and get free personal training sessions 5 days/week, I would definitely entertain the Mtn Tough programs. Mtn Tough would be dirt ass cheap compared to the training sessions (if I was being charged). As I get older, I like being told what to do, and have some structure.

dth_

FNG
Ive done the personal trailer thing, I've done the bro-split gym thing, and I've done the crossfit thing. Recently bought the MTN Tough bundle because it is effectively a 12 month training program you can use for as long and as many times as you like for not much more than the cost of a years gym membership. The SIL pays like $200 monthly for programming, coaching and nutritional help-- all done remotely, on top of her monthly gym membership. Between the upfront cost of a bit of training equipment and the access to the MTN Tough program, I think I am far and away money ahead. Plus I don't have any d-bags or covid protocols to deal with in my gargage.

JCohHTX

FNG
It generally focuses on legs and lungs, which is what I have historically avoided in the gym. The routines mix it up to keep it interesting. But I will say it has been tough on my knees.

simpy16

FNG
Mtn Tough’s programs incorporate both of these heavily.

Plus, they offer a ton of support to members, including stretching routines and excellent technique videos for each prescribed excercise.

It really works for me. I love being able to just pull up my workout for the day and get it done.

As far as ROI, that is up to the individual with MTN Tough. The cost is one and done, not subscription. If you buy it, it’s yours and you can use it as many times as you want.

I think I will get a MTN program this spring. I needed to get off the couch and get going. I am working night shift now and needed to get myself not just sitting around eating all night. I am doing a Nike program for 8 weeks to get my feet wet and to be committed to something and then I want to buy one of the MTN programs and really start focusing on this next year.

I'm looking in to their programs and have a few questions for those that have used their program and if it is aligned with my goals and strategy.

I'm looking at their https://mtntough.com/pages/no-gear-bundle
It includes the 30-30, 45-70, NG60 + the MNT tough nutrition coarse.
  1. Would this be a good way to go? Or would you recommend a different bundle for my goals?
  2. Any feedback on the nutrition course offerd in the bundle?
  3. Is this a yearly purchase, or do I have a lifetime access to the program?
  4. This will integrate with a iPhone, iPad, laptop when on the road?

Goals:
  • Get in the best heathy shape of my 49 year old life.
  • I'm starting a 12 1/2 week weight loss challenge at work and want to use this as my foundation.
  • Drop unhealthy fat, gain strength and cardio.
  • Slay some unhealthy eating habits, snacking, late night eating. Get my nutrient program on point. I don't do fast or junk food, I don't drink.
  • Dial in a complete fitness program for functional fitness. I have in my life trained for a 1/2 marathons. Power Lifted heavy for strength and done some cross fit programs. But never put it all together for functional fitness.
  • A structure program I can focus in on putting in the work not the planning. I'm an overthinker.
  • I travel for work. Program that I can take on the road to hotels and stay on the program.
  • I have good selection of free weights at home, kettle bells, treadmill, air dyne and stepper.
Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I'm looking at their https://mtntough.com/pages/no-gear-bundle
It includes the 30-30, 45-70, NG60 + the MNT tough nutrition coarse.

1. Would this be a good way to go? Or would you recommend a different bundle for my goals?
2. Any feedback on the nutrition course offerd in the bundle?
3. Is this a yearly purchase, or do I have a lifetime access to the program?
4. This will integrate with a iPhone, iPad, laptop when on the road?

1. Should be a great way to move towards your goals.

2. The nutritional component will be as important as the exercise component.

3. Lifetime. Buy once cry once.

4. The course is online and accessible through any browser software. You should be GTG.

Sounds like a great plan. Good luck!

I have a pretty solid home gym so I bought the 365 package for gym use. I have to augment the program at times for things I don't have but ultimately have a WOD ready for you is a real difference maker on the mornings that motivation is lower. Even if you get outside or do your own program half the time, it is still worth it to own. The "hunter" marketing might be an unnecessary gimmick to some, but I think it helps me keep front of mind on why I am keeping in shape vs. a generic form of coaching.

I am on day three of MTN Tough 30-30. I went with their "No Gear" bundle program.
It includes
  • 30-30 No Gear
  • 45-70 Heavy Pack
  • NG 6O
  • EAT MTN Tough Nutritional Program
Along with the MTN Tough support resources.
So far I see a High ROI in what they are offering. I have done Gyms, Home Gym workouts, Cross Fit etc. I see no gimmick with MTN Tough on their "hunting specific” program. Heck the backcountry nutritional planning, program and support tools and learning about Macros was worth the price by it self.
When I called both times to ask about specific programs I spoke with their very helpful staff and never once felt pressured to buy anything.
Just my 2 cents

Mike1187

Lil-Rokslider
I purchased the Backcountry Program last February and it’s been a game changer. After my workout today, I was telling myself this might be the best all around shape I’ve been in, I’m 38.
What drew me to the program was the well balanced workouts, they focus on all targets...cardio, endurance, and strength mixed throughout the programs. Also, no scheduled times or classes, you get to work it into your schedule.
So many times I felt lost on what to do when I got to the gym. You don’t have to worry about that, open the app and get to work. The mental side of these workouts are great...there will definitely be times when you are gassed, sore, and want to quit but push through because you know you just have those last few reps to feel the accomplishment of conquering that workout.

Get it, you won’t be disappointed! Like others have said, buy once cry once.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I purchased the Backcountry Program last February and it’s been a game changer. After my workout today, I was telling myself this might be the best all around shape I’ve been in, I’m 38.
What drew me to the program was the well balanced workouts, they focus on all targets...cardio, endurance, and strength mixed throughout the programs. Also, no scheduled times or classes, you get to work it into your schedule.
So many times I felt lost on what to do when I got to the gym. You don’t have to worry about that, open the app and get to work. The mental side of these workouts are great...there will definitely be times when you are gassed, sore, and want to quit but push through because you know you just have those last few reps to feel the accomplishment of conquering that workout.

Get it, you won’t be disappointed! Like others have said, buy once cry once.

Would you say that you could substitute the running for other stuff??? Like if it called for a 400m run could somebody do like a hard minute of jump roping or something??? I ask because outdoor running isn’t an option here for 4-5 months of the year and with gyms closed treadmills aren’t an option unless you have one (I don’t).

Mike1187

Lil-Rokslider
Thinhorn_AK, I would say there is an alternative. Jump rope is probably a good one, the goal is to get the heart rate up. Not sure what would be the best but that’s the beauty of the support, it’s there for questions like this...they are quick to respond, knowledgeable and have been very helpful.