MTN Tough Worth It

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
my personal thoughts are that if it's motivator to get a person working out routinely, then it's worth it

do you have to have it to be in the best mountain shape ever? nope, not if you have the motivation to strength train a couple of times a week and hit the hills/mountains the rest of the days

I realize not everyone has easy access to hills/mountains, but nothing will get you into "mountain shape" better than time on your feet in the mountains

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I just got the no gear bundle. I decided I wanted something different, I’ve been doing the same sort of workouts for awhile now so I figured it would be a good way to switch things up. It should be especially nice during the winter months here where everything is all icy.

I guess I’ll just work through the whole thing starting with the 30-30 tomorrow.

simpy16

FNG
I just got the no gear bundle. I decided I wanted something different, I’ve been doing the same sort of workouts for awhile now so I figured it would be a good way to switch things up. It should be especially nice during the winter months here where everything is all icy.

I guess I’ll just work through the whole thing starting with the 30-30 tomorrow.
I did the same as you with the no gear bundle. I also bought the Spring training gym one as well. I am a couple workouts in on the 30-30 and like it so far. It really is pushing me to try to get it done in 30 minutes which is how much time I have on days I work (shift schedule). I will do the gym one on days I have off and have the time and ability to get to the gym. I also am looking forward to some pack workouts later in the spring, and another fun change of pace to only use 1 piece of equipment.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I did the same as you with the no gear bundle. I also bought the Spring training gym one as well. I am a couple workouts in on the 30-30 and like it so far. It really is pushing me to try to get it done in 30 minutes which is how much time I have on days I work (shift schedule). I will do the gym one on days I have off and have the time and ability to get to the gym. I also am looking forward to some pack workouts later in the spring, and another fun change of pace to only use 1 piece of equipment.

I’ll probably get the gym stuff once the gym here is opened to full capacity or I finally finish my shop and get some workout equipment. I’ve done some random mtn tough workouts before so I’m really looking forward to doing them from start to finish.

simpy16

FNG
I’ll probably get the gym stuff once the gym here is opened to full capacity or I finally finish my shop and get some workout equipment. I’ve done some random mtn tough workouts before so I’m really looking forward to doing them from start to finish.
Luckily I work nights so on off days I go to the gym around 2am and have it all to myself. Makes circuit training a breeze! Looking to get in shape to make a bou hunt up there this fall on the Haul Road.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Luckily I work nights so on off days I go to the gym around 2am and have it all to myself. Makes circuit training a breeze! Looking to get in shape to make a bou hunt up there this fall on the Haul Road.

Nice, the haul road is a cool place, I havnt been up for a number of years though. I’m planning to get a good sheep hunt in this year as well as a kodiak trip myself.

I didn't see this particular point mentioned thus far so I'll chime in - The most effective workout plan is the one you will actually do consistently. Paying some money is a good way to "put some skin in the game" as it were and it often motivates you to get the work done because you paid for it.

Once you're over the hurdle of consistently working out per "a plan" the question of which plan and the relative benefits of that plan becomes relevant. When I hear people have "done weight training, crossfit, cardio, etc," I think they went to the gym and did random crap. A good progressive program, will be better than random crap, but anything consistently is better than nothing. At our crossfit gym we buy our programming because doing good, thoughtful programming is really hard.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I didn't see this particular point mentioned thus far so I'll chime in - The most effective workout plan is the one you will actually do consistently. Paying some money is a good way to "put some skin in the game" as it were and it often motivates you to get the work done because you paid for it.

Once you're over the hurdle of consistently working out per "a plan" the question of which plan and the relative benefits of that plan becomes relevant. When I hear people have "done weight training, crossfit, cardio, etc," I think they went to the gym and did random crap. A good progressive program, will be better than random crap, but anything consistently is better than nothing. At our crossfit gym we buy our programming because doing good, thoughtful programming is really hard.
Good point, ive been lucky to not need much extra motivation to get workouts in, I've been working out or training for the better part of 20 years. I agree though, expensive equipment and training programs dont really matter if you dont use them.

country

FNG
It's a great program if you need a program for motivation and a scripted workout schedule with workouts. It helps you stay on track and the workout are tough but also scaleable. I did the backcountry bundle one time through completely which took about 8 months I think in total. It was tough and i was in shape, but I went back to crossfit afterward and can't say that doesn't work. It's all about the person and what they personally need to keep them motivated and going. Lot's of great programs out there as long as you stick to them.

Bringing this old thread back to life. Glad to hear it's working for everyone.
Thinking about joining one of their programs. I have a gym membership and access to hundreds of beachbody workouts through my wife.

Is their program worth it?

Thanks!
Any updates? Did you do the program. I'd love to hear your results if so. Also your level of commitment to the program.

I've pretty much made up my mind to buy it for my flatlander friends so they can keep up and have a more enjoyable hunt (I'm sure their wives will thank me later), but I'm still curious. I can't wait to give it a try as well. I've seen some of the workouts and heard how they are built/ structured. There's no doubt they are well thought out and designed for rough country: sidehilling, heavy packs, hiking through deadfall over logs, long days etc. I workout with professional athletes, and am in crazy good shape, but I still see the benefit. There's no doubt in my mind this is still going to kick my ass!

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
When I looked into it I couldn't justify the cost. Albeit, I'm sure it's a great program. I'm still young enough to get by effectively without a ton of preliminary effort - but I'm not getting any younger!

They do have a 50% off promotion going on now that I thought about looking into.

NorthCountryAB

Lil-Rokslider
I just ordered the bundle they have on sale beginning of this week.
I gotta say im super impressed. The 30 minute workouts leave me dripping in sweat.
Great program, awesome motivation, super cool community environment.
Totally worth the $200, even when I have to pay in Canadian Peso's lol

JCohHTX

FNG
Bringing this old thread back to life. Glad to hear it's working for everyone.

Any updates? Did you do the program. I'd love to hear your results if so. Also your level of commitment to the program.

I've pretty much made up my mind to buy it for my flatlander friends so they can keep up and have a more enjoyable hunt (I'm sure their wives will thank me later), but I'm still curious. I can't wait to give it a try as well. I've seen some of the workouts and heard how they are built/ structured. There's no doubt they are well thought out and designed for rough country: sidehilling, heavy packs, hiking through deadfall over logs, long days etc. I workout with professional athletes, and am in crazy good shape, but I still see the benefit. There's no doubt in my mind this is still going to kick my ass!
I have now done the 30 day no gear, 60 day no gear, and am almost through the pre-season prep. I think it is worth the money. I like the progressive nature and variety that keeps it interesting. For many workouts they give beginner, intermediate, and advanced options. It will get you in shape and it is fun and rewarding as you do it.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
How does the $200 no gear bundle they have going now work? Is it $200 for a year, or do you have those workouts saved somewhere indefinitely?

Might be worth me doing as I continue to work from home.

fatlander

WKR
How does the $200 no gear bundle they have going now work? Is it $200 for a year, or do you have those workouts saved somewhere indefinitely?

Might be worth me doing as I continue to work from home.

It’s for life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
So I ordered it. Did the 30 minute no equipment one this morning with my wife. My first impressions:

- 30 minutes my ass (I'm sure it gets faster as you get used to it)
- a lot more upperbody than I would have expected, but I assume leg day is coming
- I'm not crazy about the video format at first blush. In my wife's beach body workouts you do the entire workout in real time with the instructor and class explaining things. Just makes things easier and more streamlined to figure out what is going on fast and get on with your day. There are some timing issues with the beachbody format, but there is always a pause button.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I'm 1:15 away from Bozeman. Can you work out at their gym?

Gar

FNG
Reviving this thread from the dead ☠️ to provide a personal review.

I must admit I was skeptical of the MTNTOUGH online program. My background was primarily bodybuilding/ strength training (12-30); then more endurance focused on Triathlons and Adventure racing (30-42); eventually stumbling upon a little known (at the time), online training program known as CrossFit (CF). I soon became a certified instructor and CF Games judge (42-55).

I read about the MTNTOUGH program on this forum if my memory serves me correctly and have been following it (56-present).

In my personal opinion CrossFit was good at one time, and I gained a high level of good general fitness as a result, but as of late I believe it has become too political/ gay for my tastes, and based on my own personal experience seems to lend itself more to injury due to the nature of its competitive complexity.

When CF coach Greg Glassman made a comment about the criminal George Floyd (“It’s FLOYD-19” in reference to a tweet from the research centre Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation, which stated “Racism is a public health issue”,) and because of that comment had to resign from the company he founded, that was it for me.

For anyone that is interested in the truth about the death of George Floyd, it is worth your time to watch this video on YouTube:

MTNTOUGH is not inexpensive, but the program is worth the investment. They offer a good discount for First Responders and veterans.

They have also recently added Prehab and Rehab programs, as well as Mobility programs that you can follow along with online, or download and use anywhere. This alone is worth it for me as staying flexible and movement healthy is very valuable at my age.

The programming has significantly increased my strength and endurance when it comes time to head out into the wilderness on a solo backpacking hunt.

I have also noticed that as I age, my focus has been on getting the most out of my body for however many years I have left in it. MTNTOUGH meets those goals.

At almost 60 years old, following MTNTOUGH for the past few years has kept me motivated and healthy. There are now a good number of new programs that are sure to fit just about everyone. The "Minimal Gear Daily" program is good for those that just want to follow along online while someone else coaches them through a workout. They have also added a program for folks that have been out of shape for a spell, and just want to ease back into a fitness regime.

MTNTOUGH is definitely worth checking out, especially if it’s been a while for you. While I have personally met some of the men employed at MTNTOUGH, I am in no way affiliated with them. They are, in my humble opinion, a good group of men dedicated to hunting and fitness, and the MTNTOUGH online community has so far remained un-woke!🇺🇸🫡🇺🇸