Mtngear bipod?

Topknot

FNG
Any experience with mountain bipod?

Never heard of them, but New Zealand is putting out some crazy lightweight stuff when it comes to bipods. The backlanz is one I have been wanting to get my hands on for a while, also out of new zealand.

OP
T

Topknot

FNG
Agreed. I have a black diamond treking pole with a ice axe head, and I have used it as a rest, but the ability to attach it it to the rifle would be sweet. Not to mention somehow you can attach saw blades

OP
T

Topknot

FNG
Seems well thoughout. I do not like hunting with bipods because of noise, weight, catching on stuff, but for as simple as it is and for 5oz seems awesome.

mt100gr.

WKR
I'm looking at these now, too....do these bipods stay attached to, and fold under the rifle and lock there? (ideally forward, and under the barrel like a Harris) I can't find any pics or description....

I like my Spartan bipod well enough, but in the snow it's so nice to not have to put the kick stand on the rifle before setting it down.

And that mtn stick is pretty awesome too!

Has anyone tried these??

Mark at EXO

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have the mtngear bipod, but only limited experience with it so far. The level of adjustment that you get for the weight is insane. It does have play in it when not loaded, but does hold solid when loaded into. I plan to spend more time in the field with it on some hunts this year.

@mt100gr — Yes, you can keep it attached and folded forward under the barrel. It also detaches quickly, so you get the best of both worlds.

I just got the backcountry version of the bipod and have used it at the range. It’s sweet. I like it a lot more than the javelin it replaced. My only complaint right now is that it rattles a bit when it’s folded up and carrying the rifle. I’ve been playing around with keeping a rubber band around it near the attach point which seems to work to minimize rattling and still let’s you fold the legs down. I messaged Matt at mtn about the rattling and he said there is a way to tighten it up some and he’d walk me through it if I really wanted to do it.

I’ll likely be upgrading my stubai trekking axe to the mtn stick next year. It looks awesome but $$$.

philcox

WKR
I have the mtngear bipod, but only limited experience with it so far. The level of adjustment that you get for the weight is insane. It does have play in it when not loaded, but does hold solid when loaded into. I plan to spend more time in the field with it on some hunts this year.

@mt100gr — Yes, you can keep it attached and folded forward under the barrel. It also detaches quickly, so you get the best of both worlds.
I'd be curious how you like it in comparison to your Spartan.

Jr4

Lil-Rokslider
Any updates on this bipod, I have been looking in to these

slowelk

WKR
I just got the backcountry version of the bipod and have used it at the range. It’s sweet. I like it a lot more than the javelin it replaced. My only complaint right now is that it rattles a bit when it’s folded up and carrying the rifle. I’ve been playing around with keeping a rubber band around it near the attach point which seems to work to minimize rattling and still let’s you fold the legs down. I messaged Matt at mtn about the rattling and he said there is a way to tighten it up some and he’d walk me through it if I really wanted to do it.

I’ll likely be upgrading my stubai trekking axe to the mtn stick next year. It looks awesome but $$$.

As I've watching their content, I thought to myself that that thing must rattle. I hate rattling. Does the rubber band stay on once deployed?

Yes but the mtn bipod looks to have the adjustability of the hatch with the weight of the spartan. Curious if the adjustability is as good as the hatch
Very interested in this also. Sometimes lightweight leads to instability. The Hatch appears to be the most versatile but it comes at a weight penalty. That said, I would rather have the weight penalty for something more versatile, indestructible and that doesn’t rattle around on my rifle.

These are all assumptions from not physically having either in possession. Anyone have experience with both or have added opinions with actual experience? Greatly appreciated.