MTNTOUGH 30-30

Just started the new bodyweight-only workout from the good people over at MTNTOUGH and I’m really enjoying it (as much as one can “enjoy” self-inflicted torture).

I’ve seen some conversations on their 8-month program here but nothing on this new version. While there are forums in the MTNTOUGH program to post I was curious if any fellow Roksliders were doing this program as well. Interested to hear others ideas, opinions and experiences. So far I’m really impressed, as much with the intensity of the workouts as I am with the customer support when I have questions. I think they’ve built something really special here and especially like that, while it’s directed at hunting prep, the philosophy is more centered on being ready for anything at any time.

Would love to hear others’ thoughts.

OP
R
Havent seen the body weight program. Will have to check that out.
I’d recommend it. It’s a beating and assumes you’ve got the knees of a teenager. At 44 years old I have to modify for all the impact lunges but I feel myself pushing harder on this and making more progress than I have from Insanity and other at home programs. And $100 for lifetime access is a pretty great deal.

renagde

WKR
I've been eyeing up this program. I like bodyweight programs because I don't have a gym close by and I don't have the money to invest in a home gym. Is it 5 days per week, and every day intense or does it give you some rest days?

OP
R
I've been eyeing up this program. I like bodyweight programs because I don't have a gym close by and I don't have the money to invest in a home gym. Is it 5 days per week, and every day intense or does it give you some rest days?
It’s a great set up. Five days on and two off. Each day is a unique workout with new goals. They alternate the workload and intensity in each - for example, one day will be an all out quad and lung killer and next will be a timed run aimed at endurance followed by some core work. Program is very flexible and can be done at your own pace. I add in some days of heavy 5x5 lifting to maintain my lower rep strength base.

So far the only piece of gym equipment I’ve seen you may need is a floor mat for core work/stretching and somewhere to do pull-ups. I’d suggest you take a look at their website - they have a couple workouts there including the Beartooth. Their famous “22’s” is also available online. I suggest you try that out to see if it feels like a fit as it gives a pretty good idea of what you’re getting into.

I’ve done Insanity and Asylum and honestly I’ve never worked this hard before. But it’s very rewarding and you can see how it’s tailored to getting you in great functional shape for the mountains vs just looking good. And team is great - very responsive and good online support network. You get a lot for $100.

Stroke250

Lil-Rokslider
I may have to check this out as I like torture. I currently do Street Parking programming for my workouts. I love their workouts and it’s a good balance but something else would be nice to try in addition to those.

renagde

WKR
It’s a great set up. Five days on and two off. Each day is a unique workout with new goals. They alternate the workload and intensity in each - for example, one day will be an all out quad and lung killer and next will be a timed run aimed at endurance followed by some core work. Program is very flexible and can be done at your own pace. I add in some days of heavy 5x5 lifting to maintain my lower rep strength base.

So far the only piece of gym equipment I’ve seen you may need is a floor mat for core work/stretching and somewhere to do pull-ups. I’d suggest you take a look at their website - they have a couple workouts there including the Beartooth. Their famous “22’s” is also available online. I suggest you try that out to see if it feels like a fit as it gives a pretty good idea of what you’re getting into.

I’ve done Insanity and Asylum and honestly I’ve never worked this hard before. But it’s very rewarding and you can see how it’s tailored to getting you in great functional shape for the mountains vs just looking good. And team is great - very responsive and good online support network. You get a lot for $100.

I have used their 22's workout in preparation for my fall hunt and I really like it. Sounds like i would enjoy this program, I think I'll have to try it.

Jason_F

FNG
I just finished the 30-30 program this morning and LOVED it!! Yes, a lot of it sucked, but I sucked more so I stayed after it.

Like someone else mentioned, I too (at 41) had to modify a few things to accommodate knee issues. Mainly it was not doing jumping lunges and doing regular lunges instead, or sometimes just doing less overall (for instance on a few weighted rucks it called for lunges at certain intervals, but with the weight on I didn't feel comfortable about it so I'd only do half the reps or stop if I hit a few with bad form and started to worry about knee stability).

And the best part is that really all you need is someplace to do pull ups & chin ups and possibly a yoga mat.

I'm deciding what to do next, but I'm thinking I may spend the next 30 days doing 2-3 days of the 30-30 programming mixed in with some weight programming I was doing before I started 30-30, and see where that gets me.

I would definitely recommend the 30-30 program!

OP
R
Anybody else using this? Just got skunked on an otc elk hunt in Colorado, looking to try this to jump start me for training through the winter

I think you’ll be really happy if the goal is all around fitness and mental toughness. If looking to gain a strength base or get mass back after the season, you may want to supplement this with a couple days of heavier weight training or, better yet, try their post-season program

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

outdoor_matt

Lil-Rokslider
Very curious in this program as well. Plus, right now the MTN tough programs are 20% off with the black friday codes, hard to pass up. I do a fair bit of work on the road, so this might be perfect as I often don't have access to a lot of equipment.

ItemB

Lil-Rokslider
Does this program have a lot of running? Like to stay indoors when it gets cold out and thinking this might be a good at home program to do inside

OP
R
Does this program have a lot of running? Like to stay indoors when it gets cold out and thinking this might be a good at home program to do inside

Yes, pretty good amount of running on this which, even in moderate Dallas, can make things tricky in the winter. Hate to run in sub-40 weather. But you can sub in other things. I use an assault bike in my garage when it’s too cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much will this hurt a rank beginner? It has been years since I was in the gym regular and that was pretty basic maintenance work. As a few mentioned, age is not in my favor. I do some slow jogging to keep OK base condition. But I have not done a focused or regimented exercise program in a very long time.

Should I consider the 30-30 program as a beginner or should I do some other intro work to get in the groove first?

Jason_F

FNG
@arrowfoster

I’d say give it a shot, knowing that you may have to scale things down (I did). And the best part is you can do the program again, so you’ll do better on a second pass...

but yes, I’d say give it a shot because it’s not overly complex in terms of equipment and it’s very scalable.

Thanks for the encouragement Jason. I’m still considering it.

Is there much in the way of specific exercises mixed with intervals of running? I don’t really have a place to run except the tar&chip road through the neighborhood and that is a quarter mile down the hill from the house. Just wondering about the level of inconvenience I may have to implement this. Or do I carry a mat down to the road and let everyone watch me suffer between runs out in the winter weather?

I wish they would release an actual app so I don’t have to use the cumbersome website. Opening a new window and logging in etc is just not something I should have to do in this mobile world we live in. #1stworldproblems. But still.

So is this web based to the point that one needs to be connected during the workout? No download or printout?

I guess I should just contact MTNTOUGH with my questions as it seems like I have a bunch. Sounds like using this program may not be feasible in my situation.

So is this web based to the point that one needs to be connected during the workout? No download or printout?

I guess I should just contact MTNTOUGH with my questions as it seems like I have a bunch. Sounds like using this program may not be feasible in my situation.

I log in and then take screenshots of my workout. It’s still kind of annoying because if I want to watch one of the videos mid workout I have to log back in etc. It’s just kind of a pain.

Jason_F

FNG
Stefan is right, it’s mildly annoying that you get logged out of their site in about 15-20 minutes. I set up the password to save to my phone with my thumbprint, that helps a little with the inconvenience.

It would be awesome if it was a standalone app, but I can see where they’re coming from too (I think), which is that apps are expensive and require more support (costs) versus a website.

Their site does work well, I like it. And they have lots of video tutorials and coaching which is helpful as well.