MtnTough uphill Murph

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I got an email that they came up with there own twist on this workout, but clicking on the link wants you to sign up.

Anyone know what their twist on Murph is?

Thanks

amassi

WKR
The 1 mi run portions are at a 10 deg incline. Also strict pull-ups. No kipping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
100 strict pullups or did they partition it into rounds?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
The 1 mi run portions are at a 10 deg incline. Also strict pull-ups. No kipping

Thanks!

I unsubscribed from their emails. They would send me little snippets/videos of different things that where often interesting, but now they want you to "join" (pay $) to see anything

I'll have to give that a go. I've never done kipping pull-ups, I'm sure they aren't bad for you- but strict pull-ups are what I always have done.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm sure they work the lats and other muscles, I think strict pull-ups (chin-ups) work muscles better.

To be honest, not even sure I could do one :)

lintond

WKR
100 strict pullups or did they partition it into rounds?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

100 strict pull-ups. They did say to do everything in order. So if you can only do one pull up you’d do 100x1, then move onto the push-ups.

So it’s not really any different just uphill and I know some people break up the pull-ups, pushups, squats into sets.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
for a half Murph I partition in five sets of 10 pull-ups, 20 pushups and 30 air squats

for a full Murph I partition in 20 sets of 5 pull-ups, 10 pushups and 15 air squats

I'd like to get to a point where I could reduce it to 10 sets for a full Murph, but not there yet :D

lintond

WKR
for a half Murph I partition in five sets of 10 pull-ups, 20 pushups and 30 air squats

for a full Murph I partition in 20 sets of 5 pull-ups, 10 pushups and 15 air squats

I'd like to get to a point where I could reduce it to 10 sets for a full Murph, but not there yet :D

I like that idea. Not sure why my brain has never thought to scale it.

Jwknutson17

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've always done the 5/10/15 method after my first go at 10/20/30 was a fail for pull-ups. Only guy I personally know who can do the 10 sets of 10 full lock out pullups is a rock climber with Popeye arms and skinny light body.

The 5/10/15 is still no joke. Key is just to keep going and not stop. The running portion is not that hard if your in any sort of cardio shape. I'll have to try the 10% incline next time.

I paid for the full MtnTough program. I jump around in the programs to mix it up a little. Dustin and crew are well worth supporting. Solid men of faith.

hunting1

WKR

I did weighted vest this year and did 5, 10, 15 x 20 and it was better than straight through (100,200,300)

Own a CrossFit gym and Kipping is still a thing!

fatlander

WKR
A Murph broken into partitioned super sets really isn’t that challenging. I got to the point I was cranking out partitioned Murphs much faster than the world record. Figured it was time to do one as prescribed w/o a vest and it took me just under 50 minutes. During the second run I had an out of body experience. Guys that can get into the upper 30’s with a vest and no partitions are absolute units.

Poser

WKR
Are kipping pull-ups still a thing now on 2022???

There is a Xfit box across the street from my office and they are definitely a thing (a very worthless thing often performed by people who lack the strength to perform a single strict pull-up and result in injuries as a result. To make matters worse, they are performed as a conditioning exercise, yet, conditioning being rather specific in its training effect, makes one wonder what the point is for conditioning the body to performing more kipping pullups is? Battle ropes are much the same. When will this bullshit die?)

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
There is a Xfit box across the street from my office and they are definitely a thing (a very worthless thing often performed by people who lack the strength to perform a single strict pull-up and result in injuries as a result. To make matters worse, they are performed as a conditioning exercise, yet, conditioning being rather specific in its training effect, makes one wonder what the point is for conditioning the body to performing more kipping pullups is? Battle ropes are much the same. When will this bullshit die?)

iTs FuNcTiOnAl BrO!!!!!