Mule Deer and Moving

Jimss

WKR
"To qualify for any resident game and fish license, preference point, permit or tag, a person shall be domiciled and shall physically reside in Wyoming for one (1) full year (365 consecutive days) immediately preceding the date the person applies for or purchases the license, preference point, permit or tag and the person shall not have claimed residency elsewhere for any other purpose (including, but not limited to, voting, payment of income taxes, purchase of resident hunting, fishing or trapping licenses, etc.) during that one (1) year period."

Kerrbow

Lil-Rokslider
"To qualify for any resident game and fish license, preference point, permit or tag, a person shall be domiciled and shall physically reside in Wyoming for one (1) full year (365 consecutive days) immediately preceding the date the person applies for or purchases the license, preference point, permit or tag and the person shall not have claimed residency elsewhere for any other purpose (including, but not limited to, voting, payment of income taxes, purchase of resident hunting, fishing or trapping licenses, etc.) during that one (1) year period."
He can get a non-resident that first year after he arrives and then from then on can go the resident route for licenses. I think some states only require 6 months residency requirements. I never understood "snowbird" mentality until I spent my first winter in Colorado and then realized those people were pretty smart. Seems the best of both worlds if you can make it work.

'

S.Clancy

WKR
I live in MT. Stay the hell out of the Bitteroot unless you liked Cali. Winters in Sheridan/Buffalo are not nearly as bad as central/most of WY, in fact it can be one of the milder areas. If it were up to me, I would choose WY, but you'll be missing some amenities you may be used to.

OP
B
I am good on amenities and not fond of people to be honest..lol I had a feeling that bitterroot area would be a bit high dollar for me. I just wan to decent home on 10+ acres get horses again or even mules fish and hunt!!

robAK

Lil-Rokslider
Grew up in southern ID, 17 yrs in AK, now in Sheridan. If mule deer is the driver, LaBarge or near there is the perfect place to be. Pronghorn hunting between Rock Springs and Rawlins and on up to muddy gap is real good. Green river for fishing and if you don't mind driving, eastern ID for pheasants and geese. The big horns are awesome but we don't grow em like they do over there.

Challis/Salmon area is cheap living. Not nearly as good elk/deer hunting as LaBarge area, but you do have good steelhead and trout fishing. Antelope south towards Arco and the big desert, but again, not nearly as good as WY.

iseebucks

Lil-Rokslider
If I were you I would consider moving to a state that has spring black bear hunting. It will be nice to have that coming from CA.

OP
B
Grew up in southern ID, 17 yrs in AK, now in Sheridan. If mule deer is the driver, LaBarge or near there is the perfect place to be. Pronghorn hunting between Rock Springs and Rawlins and on up to muddy gap is real good. Green river for fishing and if you don't mind driving, eastern ID for pheasants and geese. The big horns are awesome but we don't grow em like they do over there.

Challis/Salmon area is cheap living. Not nearly as good elk/deer hunting as LaBarge area, but you do have good steelhead and trout fishing. Antelope south towards Arco and the big desert, but again, not nearly as good as WY.

Thanks a bunch spent quite few nights in the Mt west of La Barge elk hunting. Have a buddy in Kemmerer as well. He said the area could be in trouble financially with the power plant scaling back. that's sad. I am also a touch leary about the crouds along the grays and la barge for deer. Actuallly sitting on 10 pts now for deer and not sure what to do. Warden told me crowds for rifle deer have become in sane and fights over camp spots. Id spike out but still nice to have a base camp. thanks for all the advice guys I am def leaning toward WY there are few places in MT still on the list around Dillon and little north and east. I need to get off my ass in make a decision!!

Tupp

FNG
CO for archery has yielded pretty good for the group I hunt with. Great draw odds and there’s plenty of deer. Elk though, we haven’t had much luck with yet