Mule Deer Bedding

FYT

Lil-Rokslider
Hi all,

I'm trying to put my first Muley buck on the ground during 2nd rifle in CO this year. I'm 0 fer 2 so far. I feel pretty good about the scouting and work I've put in this year- much more than in years past. One thing I'm struggling with is finding beds. I also elk hunt and I have a pretty good general idea of where to look for concentrations of elk beds, but I feel like Muley's are so much more random with where they choose to bed.

Anyone have any thoughts on what I should be looking for both on maps and when I have boots on the ground? Where do you find Muley beds in your area?

The unit I'm hunting varies from 6500 or so at the bottoms to 11000+ on the peaks. I've been scouting one area pretty hard that is in the 7200-9500 range, with grass flats toward the bottom end, mixed P/J and Oakbrush as well that works up into aspens and timber at the top. I was scouting the other day and all of a sudden two bucks were in the middle of the grass flat. Might they just bed down in the middle of the tall grass and stand up to feed when they're ready to? Sure seems like that's what they were doing but that surprised me - I envision them wanting thicker cover than just tall grass I guess.

Regardless of that- again, do you find that there is specific type of terrain or habitat that attracts Muley's to bed in? Or, am I just overthinking it because they're smaller, more solitary animals and can just sort of tuck into bed wherever they feel safe?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Last edited:

amassi

WKR
Buck gets tired and hot lays down in shade
Buck is tired and cold, gets out of wind with sun on face
Mulies love to lay down in tall sage brush, no one bothers them and they're basically hidden unless the brush isnt quite tall enough and you can see the horns sticking up
***not my pic, stock google photo***
76911f3795d9d0212c791b8b306892d6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Ein

FNG
Found an empty bed the day after archery closed. This buck might as well have been in a cave. There was a big old tree right in front of it giving two narrow routes in or out between the rocks...F0B58F39-660F-4E47-9B58-C90ECCB57BC5.jpeg

Reactions: FYT
OP
FYT

FYT

Lil-Rokslider
Get on the glass while they are feeding and keep a plucked eye until they bed.View attachment 121036View attachment 121037View attachment 121038

Dude that picture of the stalk! Awesome!

Thanks so much for the replies everyone- super helpful. Keep 'em coming!

And I agree, glassing and putting them to bed is best, but I'm trying to get a starting point. I've been scouting when I can, but it's not super easy for me right now with a 4 week old and 2 year old at home. I only have so much scouting "capital" I can spend with my wife because I'm saving up my time for the actual season. I get out once a weekend or so until the season.

Dude that picture of the stalk! Awesome!

Thanks so much for the replies everyone- super helpful. Keep 'em coming!

And I agree, glassing and putting them to bed is best, but I'm trying to get a starting point. I've been scouting when I can, but it's not super easy for me right now with a 4 week old and 2 year old at home. I only have so much scouting "capital" I can spend with my wife because I'm saving up my time for the actual season. I get out once a weekend or so until the season.
I know how you feel with a 2.5yr old at home! For me a tactic I use is don't chase the specific deer you see since you don't have the time. Instead learn the way the animal acts and use that as a tactic to find more of them. I'm usually scouting bear but one thing I have learned is once they're out and found a good food source, most days of the week they'll be in there working the food over. Try and split up your time between mornings and evenings as well. It could be possible they head to different areas depending on time of day. I think it's helpful to learn the area better than one specific animal in a situation like yours. Keep tabs on time of day you see them feeding and bedding and make notes to try and keep them somewhat predictable.

OP
FYT

FYT

Lil-Rokslider
I know how you feel with a 2.5yr old at home! For me a tactic I use is don't chase the specific deer you see since you don't have the time. Instead learn the way the animal acts and use that as a tactic to find more of them. I'm usually scouting bear but one thing I have learned is once they're out and found a good food source, most days of the week they'll be in there working the food over. Try and split up your time between mornings and evenings as well. It could be possible they head to different areas depending on time of day. I think it's helpful to learn the area better than one specific animal in a situation like yours. Keep tabs on time of day you see them feeding and bedding and make notes to try and keep them somewhat predictable.

Completely agree. I'm not trying for any specific buck. I don't have any named bucks, lol. In fact, I'm prettymuch certain to take the first legal buck I have a chance at. If I'm successful in my elk season and have meat in the freezer I may be slightly more picky, but even then not much more. I've really honed my scouting down to one specific area that's about 2,000 acres and unless something crazy with weather or fire or aliens happens then that's my plan A spot. The nice thing is I can access the scouting pretty easily and will hopefully really get to know that area.

I've identified a few spots that look like potential bedding but they're on the far end of that area and I haven't actually walked to them yet.

I've only scouted that larger area once in the morning and more in the evenings- it's a good reminder to get back out there in the morning and even into midday if I can and not just go there in evenings only.

Thanks for the advice! Good luck this fall!

Poser

WKR
They may not be as edge specific as Whitetails but they do like and use edges. At higher elevation, if you can find where a treeline abuts a mountainous feature: rock formation transitions into scree slope transitions into treeline. Preferably, these transitions are pretty tight.

whoop

FNG
That is a seriously cool photo. Buck has no idea what's coming. Would love to hear the story on that one.
After an hour and a half sit at 18 yds with a gusty prevailing left to right wind. Wind stops and drifts right to left for about 10 seconds. Buck stands with velvet tips on each side of the pointed rock, then exits straight away.

After an hour and a half sit at 18 yds with a gusty prevailing left to right wind. Wind stops and drifts right to left for about 10 seconds. Buck stands with velvet tips on each side of the pointed rock, then exits straight away.

Dang!! That sucks to be that close and not have it work out. Better luck on your next hunt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk