Mule deer behavior during the rut

Hi guys - I will be hunting in SW New Mexico on a January archery rut hunt. Pretty new to muley hunting so my question. During a traditional early season hunt, mule deer are pretty predictable with feeding in the mornings and then bedding in a spot for most of the day. Hunting those deer means finding them bedded and making a stalk.

However, during the rut, should I expect to wait for a buck that I spot to bed down or as soon as I see a buck or buck/doe combo I should start the stalk and should expect them to be constantly moving from where I first spotted them. Any info on strategy would be appreciated

During the actual rut, if a buck is with does he's most likely gonna do what they do. If none of the does are "hot" or if he gets out classed by another buck he'll be on the move again and I've watched them cruise a couple miles of desert in just a few minutes. Most of the cruising I've seen in AZ has been late morning through early evening. It seems like they like to be with a group overnight.

Find me on Instagram @970outdoors

Yep, he won't stick to his own routine during the rut. Bucks either follow the does and do whatever they do, or they go cruising in search of a new group of does.

chops24

WKR
Yep, he won't stick to his own routine during the rut. Bucks either follow the does and do whatever they do, or they go cruising in search of a new group of does.

good advice here. i hunt SW NM a lot and love the January hunt because there is so much action. when you get into them expect to get a lot of opportunities. They are lots easier to find during january because of they chase the does around all day.