Mule Deer Books

Hi folks, I've been puttin in a lot of time gaining a greater knowledge of Mule Deer habitats, ecology and hunting techniques. YouTube and forums have been great but I feel there is more out there. I recently turned more towards books so I thought I would throw it out there to see if anyone has a few suggestions regarding the topics above. I've gotten into books by Dwight Schuh, David Long, Kirt Darner, Mike Eastman and obviously Robby Denning.
Any others yiu guys can suggest?

Thanks Pat

You got the good ones IMO...spend extra time and $ applying what's in those and you'll be Robby's book is the gift that keeps on giving in my experience so far. I've re-read that one several times already and had different nuggets jump out with different experiences that have made all the difference for me. Have you found Jason Carter with Epic Outdoors yet? He's a great resource also, although not a book.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OP
BullRiverMusk
You got the good ones IMO...spend extra time and $ applying what's in those and you'll be Robby's book is the gift that keeps on giving in my experience so far. I've re-read that one several times already and had different nuggets jump out with different experiences that have made all the difference for me. Have you found Jason Carter with Epic Outdoors yet? He's a great resource also, although not a book.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Right on, I'll be sure to have a look. Thanks

also check out Valerius Geist 's Mule Deer Country. It's kind of a library style introduction to mule deer, pretty short with lots of pictures but i found it ranks up there in the top 3 of my favorite muley books. Lots of basic biology and evolutionary history of mule deer i found very informative. I love reading about mule deer and you have named most of the good books. Robby has listed some great books somewhere on here...

OP
BullRiverMusk
also check out Valerius Geist 's Mule Deer Country. It's kind of a library style introduction to mule deer, pretty short with lots of pictures but i found it ranks up there in the top 3 of my favorite muley books. Lots of basic biology and evolutionary history of mule deer i found very informative. I love reading about mule deer and you have named most of the good books. Robby has listed some great books somewhere on here...
Sweet buddy, i'l be sure to take a look

OP
BullRiverMusk
Any deer book could help you with mule deer hunting. Don't let the title of a book fool or make you look elsewhere. Lots of great mule deer tactics in blacktail and whitetail books.

Blacktail Trophy Tactics 2- By Boyd Iverson
Trophy Blacktails: The Science of the Hunt- By Scott Haugen
Mapping Trophy Bucks- By Brad Herndon
Mule Deer: A Handbook for Utah Hunters and Landowners- By Dennis Austin
Mule Deer Strategies: A Handbook of Hunting Techniques- By Walt Prothero
All Weather Whitetails: Forecasting Your Next Hunt of aa Lifetime- Jeff Sturgis
Whitetail Success by Design: Designing Your Next Hunt of a Lifetime- Jeff Sturgis
Mature Buck Success by Design- Jeff Sturgis

Check out all the information on Western Association of Fish & Wildlife Agencies (WAFWA) website:
https://www.wafwa.org/committees___groups/mule_deer_working_group/publications/

Also, go to Google Scholar and search for as many research papers on deer that you can. Learning and knowing everything you can about your target species will help your hunting success.

If you ever decide to hunt desert mule deer.
Deer of the Southwest- By Jim Heffelfinger
Awesome man, thanks for the info

Hi folks, I've been puttin in a lot of time gaining a greater knowledge of Mule Deer habitats, ecology and hunting techniques. YouTube and forums have been great but I feel there is more out there. I recently turned more towards books so I thought I would throw it out there to see if anyone has a few suggestions regarding the topics above. I've gotten into books by Dwight Schuh, David Long, Kirt Darner, Mike Eastman and obviously Robby Denning.

Thanks Pat
The Edge by David Long and Mike Duplan is great.

clwg97

FNG
First year I plan on Mule deer hunting and I just picked up Robby Denning's book. Excited to sit down and pick my way through it.

Thanks Pat
Of the books you listed what one did you find most useful for someone who is hoping to get out this fall for his first mule deer hunt?