Mule deer elevations

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
So I live in North Idaho. I hunt anywhere from 1500 ft in elevation to 6500 ft in the North Idaho area. Normally, I only see mule deer at about 5000 ft and higher.

I was out bear hunting today, and I saw the first group of mule deer at 2800ft. After all said and done, I saw a total of 16 mule deer, all below 3200 feet. This is really my first time glassing during the spring, so my question is, is this a normal thing for them to drop down to a lower elevation in the spring?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I live in North Idaho. I hunt anywhere from 1500 ft in elevation to 6500 ft in the North Idaho area. Normally, I only see mule deer at about 5000 ft and higher.

I was out bear hunting today, and I saw the first group of mule deer at 2800ft. After all said and done, I saw a total of 16 mule deer, all below 3200 feet. This is really my first time glassing during the spring, so my question is, is this a normal thing for them to drop down to a lower elevation in the spring?

I'm a NR so I don't know much but my guess is they go down lower for there winter range. Obviously this isn't high elevation and idk what snowfall is like at 5000 ft but I know most ungulates have a winter range in lower elevation then after winter is iver they go back up

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
What are they feeding on this time of year? This time of year deer generally convert from shrubs they've been concentrating on in the winter ranges all winter to high nutrition forbs. I'm not exactly sure what forb and shrub species deer concentrate on in your area but they are recovering from winter conditions. I would also venture a guess that bucks are in bachelor groups and does are getting ready for birth of fawns. If there are lots of predators deer may also wander to areas where they feel safe? There are quite a few reasons why deer hang out at certain areas and elevations at certain times of year. You may be able to pick up on some of these things if you watch what the deer are eating, how they are behaving, etc in your particular area.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with what’s been said. Just sounds like deer in transition back to summer range. Around here where deer summer at 9-10K, they are all still well below that.

Thejet

WKR
I don’t believe there is a set elevation because it changes based on units/areas. But once you connect on a elevation in your area it gets consistent

I would also agree with what has already been said deer are likely in a transition zone on their way up to summer range. Northern Idaho is an interesting place when considering mule deer habitat we just don't have any real true high alpine habitat. sometimes their summer range really isn't all that far from their wintering range. I just saw a mule deer doe this weekend in North central Idaho near a creek in the valley bottom not a mile as the crow flies from the highest peak in the area that is only about 5200'. It would be cool to hunt mule deer in this country if nothing else for the different challenge of hunting them in dense timber.