Mule Deer Hunt West Texas

eamyrick

WKR
I’m heading out 11/23 to hunt an old ranch in far West Texas along the Rio Grande. It will be my first Mule Deer Hunt. Place is canyon country down to the river approximately 2.5 miles by 4.5 miles wide. If anyone has any suggestions or experience in the region let me know. -Elijah

d3ntalbliss

Lil-Rokslider
Glass, glass, and more glass. Pretty open country down there. Watch out for illegals. Last time my brother and I were down there we came across 8 illegals. We never felt threatened but you never know especially with this large caravan ;)

OP
eamyrick

eamyrick

WKR
I’m taking 10x42 SLCs on a tripod. I don’t really care about horn size. Do you think I should rent a spotter or some 15s? My buddy is also going and is using my 8x42s.

Do you think I should rent a spotter or some 15s?

I think that's going to depend on the property's size and its specific terrain features. If you can move around a bit and glass different pockets from multiple spots, the 10x42s should do it. If for one reason or another you can only glass the entire property from one spot and its a couple miles across, you may want the 10x42s to locate suspicious objects and a spotter or 15s to judge them.

I’m heading out 11/23 to hunt an old ranch in far West Texas along the Rio Grande. It will be my first Mule Deer Hunt. Place is canyon country down to the river approximately 2.5 miles by 4.5 miles wide. If anyone has any suggestions or experience in the region let me know. -Elijah

Elijah would love to know how your hunt went I hunt far west along the Rio Grande myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
eamyrick

eamyrick

WKR
82391d87978bb359d5772eb9ef592f18.jpg
8ac1a95d0cd3984210cd76803263effd.jpg
c8a12e8c41308e17134d7cbffbfe8bb5.jpg
9efe1c0caa69288da51a6fdc32ff1235.jpg
30473374e27c327da017a328b1461858.jpg
639f9d58544a698c6b8e5de7cccbc546.jpg
6151112e7ad5d0a20984bfb9d9a106b2.jpg
a9ee2d95e4c1852ad03a204ec19f528d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- - - Updated - - -

Headed out from Austin the morning after Thanksgiving. 18 miles down a bumpy dirt road and we found our camp site. Glassed the first night and didn't see anything but had approximately 30 Javelina all around camp when I got back. Day 2 was a learning experience but didn't spot any deer. On the night after day 2 it was overcast which I thought would be great for deer moving on day 3 which was cold, cloudy, and windy. After setting up at our glassing spot I began hearing some noise in the distance at around 8:45. A 9:00am i picked out 3 bucks in the arroyo. 2 were fighting and the one on the right pictured above was a stud for West Texas and looked to be a 5x5. I ranged the bucks at 738 yards. I made a plan to work a ridge with the wind in my face and pick the bucks back up around 350. I dropped down and when I came back up I could not locate the bucks. I worked the ridge slowly but never saw the bucks again. Major bummer but that's the nature of the country. Cuts cross ever canyon and I believe the deer simply moved off out of view.

- - - Updated - - -

After seeing the bucks I worked my way to the mountains and took a break. My plan was to work up the mountains and spot bedded bucks. I was slowly working down a ridge, glassing the cuts, when two tall forky bucks exploded out of nowhere about 150 yards away. As mule deer are known for, one of the bucks stopped and gave me a 5 second stare and I ranged him at 205 yards. I didn't feel confident in the off hand shot and dropped down to get onto my bipod. By the time I picked the buck back up he was gone.

- - - Updated - - -

Day 3 proved to be the most fruitful as the weather started working against me just like Day 2. Cold and moonlit at night and bright and warm during the day. I jumped 2 does on Day 5 and spotted a doe working a ridge the last morning but couldn't locate anymore bucks despite glassing 5-6 hours a day. I saw deer sign everywhere but with the country holding limited deer, and the bucks bedding down low in the arroyo's, it was almost impossible to pick any up without jumping some like the bucks on the afternoon of day 3.

- - - Updated - - -

A little bit about the country: I booked the hunt through Mike McKinney at West Texas Hunts | West Texas Hunt Organization. Mike was awesome to work with and one of his partners checked on my buddy (who took most of the awesome photos) and I twice. We learned that the ranches on both sides of us had also proved difficult and both groups had left early. I also learned that the guys who hunted behind me the second half of the season left after a day and a half. It was tough country and alot of guys can't handle the terrain and low deer numbers. I plan on going back next year for sure. I had a great time and its more reasonable than heading out west since I'm only 8 hours away and already have a TX hunting license. I had 7500 acres to myself and much more after the other groups left. 3-4000 acres would have been more than enough to keep me busy.

- - - Updated - - -

Lastly, this is Cartel country. The word is that the town in view on the other side of the border was pushed out by the cartel. I talked to border patrol on the way out and they told me about recent groups who have been caught crossing in the country. I carried a pistol the whole time and was extra aware of my surroundings. We also ran into wild horses which are used on lead by smugglers to bring contraband through the mountain passes. I also spotted some size 7 footprints several miles in which I'm told likely belong to Central Americans coming across. All this adds to the allure for me as this is wild country. We were told that lions are active in the area but I didn't see any sign.

- - - Updated - - -

What worked/gear? I ran Swaro SLC 10x42s on a Manfrotto Tripod which I thought was perfect for glassing the area. Having more power may have helped spot game past 1 mile but it took so long to move in the country I don't think seeing something 1.5 miles away would have been fruitful. We took alot of water and between my buddy and I went through about 6 gallons a day for food and hydration. I drank almost 200 ounces everyday while hunting and another 100 ounces before and after at camp. I wore Danner Acadias and they stood up to the constant climbing and thorny/rocky terrain. I ran a KUIU 3200 which I previously used on a Bear hunt. Its been used for 30lbs day loads for 10 days (10-15 miles each) and I have zero complaints. Time will tell when I finally get it loaded up with an animal.

As far as firearms I took a Tikka T3x 308 with Swaro 4-12x50. I swore I would pick up a long range setup capable of 600 yard shots when I got back but decide to switch to a 270 Tikka (for flatter trajectory) and focus on precise dope out to 500. Committing to a long range system is not something I have time or coin for at this time.

If you have any questions let me know. Thanks -Elijah

Nice write up on the hunt. I'm from the Austin area also and would love to pick your brain some more about this hunt.

Man- I didn't know what to expect, great share right there. I am glad I am not the only who struggled with those Trans-Pecos bucks this year, the Texas general mule deer season does not align with the rut so when you get a hot opener and a full moon that daytime activity is absolutely brutal. I hunt further upstream from where I think you were hunting in Hudspeth County along the Rio Grande myself. Thanks for sharing the hunt detail and awesome pics.

robie

WKR
Nice man good luck. I've looked at a lot of Mike's hunts over the years. Seems like he has some good property in rough country.

OP
eamyrick

eamyrick

WKR
Nice man good luck. I've looked at a lot of Mike's hunts over the years. Seems like he has some good property in rough country.

Mike is a great guy. I wasn't sure about this year as money is always tight after Christmas but after talking to him on the phone again I booked right away. The math makes sense for me vs going out of state (licenses/gas/time). Its hard to beat being the only one hunting on 6500 acres in the mountains.

Arminho

FNG
Mike is a great guy. I wasn't sure about this year as money is always tight after Christmas but after talking to him on the phone again I booked right away. The math makes sense for me vs going out of state (licenses/gas/time). Its hard to beat being the only one hunting on 6500 acres in the mountains.

Hi Eli,
I have a feeling this is the same place I just came back from. Sawyer Ranch down by the river? Mike McKinny is the man, and I've hunted with him on two other occasions. Can't say enough good things about him and his guys. I jumped on this lease 7500 acres January of this year, and am hoping it'll be productive. There are only two guns per mule deer season, so it should be enough land like you mentioned.

I went out this past weekend and put out some 250gal IBC water tanks out there and set up some cameras, hoping the water will pay off over the next few months. Coming from Dallas, it was nice seeing how remote and wild it was out there. We saw one other person there all weekend, and it was the guy who helped maintain the place. That and plenty of border patrol.

Saw a ton of auodad and some fresh mule deer droppings but it was 95F and June, so I'm not expecting much action right now. Did ya'll stay at the old house, or camp out on the property? I took my truck out there(F250 Fx4) and it got the job done, but it's a long wheelbase! Don't know how early I'll have to be leaving in the mornings to get out to where I want to get without spooking stuff.

I'm a new member on here so I can't message ya just yet, otherwise I would have!

Armin