Mule Deer hunting while Elk Hunting

I would rather not burn my 2 points on a mule deer tag if it is going to be wasted.....I am going there to hunt elk.

You may have just answered your own question.

Also, have you considered if you want to deal with two animals on one hunt? That's a lot of work, and a lot of meat to deal with.

Finally, think about how you'd feel if you had a chance to shoot a nice mule deer, but didn't have a tag, and you didn't shoot an elk. Would you then be sorry you didn't buy the mule deer tag?

Would you rather hunt again the following year in Colorado? Or is this a one and done trip? If your tags are few and far between, I’d probably just focus on elk and come back again to hunt mule deer. If you have lots of hunting opportunities then you should double up your tags.

BPollard

Lil-Rokslider
So I am set on elk hunting next Sept in Colorado....drop camp. Have been advised by the outfitter that I should also get a Mule deer tag, that he will put us in an area with good mule deer bucks that is also great elk country. I have 2 pts and the area is 100% with just 1 point...or was in 2020 anyway.

My question is, is it likely that I might have an opportunity at a good mule deer buck while in the process of elk hunting? Or would I have to engage in completely different tactics for the mule deer where it would take away from time going after elk. I get the whole, if you tag an elk on first couple of days, now you have a deer tag and can keep hunting, but being an archery hunt in CO in a OTC unit, I am not counting any eggs. I would rather not burn my 2 points on a mule deer tag if it is going to be wasted.....I am going there to hunt elk. But, at the same time, if it is realistic that I might have an opportunity while elk hunting, I'd like to have the option to shoot. I have seen plenty of mule deer before, but don't know anything about "mule deer hunting" tactics for a nice buck in Sept, as you can probably tell by my post....

Thanks for any advice
From my experience you come across a lot of mule deer while in search for elk. I climb to the high points to glass and usually kick up a couple en route.

CMF

WKR
I've only hunted CO once, this past September. I got within 60yds of a group of nice bucks, and probably could of got closer if I slowed down, but I didn't have a tag and was looking for elk. Unless you're saving points for some hard-to-draw unit, I'd get a tag. I'm definitely getting any available tags and taking advantage of any opportunities going forward. Unless I'm on an epic tag.

After several failed attempts stalking mule deer while I was elk hunting, I vowed to never interrupt an elk hunt chasing Muleys again. mule deer can be hard to get into bow range without a bit of luck, or everything lining up perfect. With that being said I shot the best buck of my life last year while walking home from an elk hunt. I hadn't seen any elk due to extremely high winds. I was walking out when I happened upon a 170" mule deer 50 yards from me with a tree in between us blocking his vision. without both tags I would have watched him bound off like I normally do. I was able to harvest my elk 2 weeks later, and helped friends hunt mule deer in October. usually I like to just focus on elk because they can be easier to get into bow range during the rut. Anything can happen though, I would want both tags in my pocket.

rclouse79

WKR
I love having a deer tag in my pocket while elk hunting. I have gotten close to getting a nice buck a couple times. For me archery hunting is a low percentage endeavor and having a secondary opportunity gives me a higher chance of action and more hope when things are slow.