Mule Deer Hunts

tmull1

FNG
Hey Guys,

Ive been mule deer hunting in Montana the last few years with the general tag and planning to this year but I am noticing the tag is getting more and more popular. (40%) odds last year. Looking for a backup in and I have been looking at Idaho over the counter and have it narrowed down to a few spots, 51 50, 59A but I am opening to suggestion. Its just about getting out into wilderness with a shot of seeing some deer. not a trophy hunter. Would anyone recommend those spots or maybe some other over the counter units with public land?

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
I hate to hear the odds have dropped so low for that general tag, montana as my first mule deer hunt and first western hunt, i hope to make it back next year for sure

OP
T

tmull1

FNG
I hate to hear the odds have dropped so low for that general tag, montana as my first mule deer hunt and first western hunt, i hope to make it back next year for sure

me too. last year was my first time there and had a blast was hoping to go back.

Cubby

WKR
I live in MT so I don't know exactly the regs but out of state resident OTC general deer tags are limited?

Tmac

WKR
Years ago they were a tough draw, 20% or so, iirc. Then MT went to the much higher fees and they were easy to draw. I must have drawn 10-15 years in a row. The last 3 years or so I’ve watched the draw success steadily fall. I did not draw last year, so I bought a point and should draw this year. If it stays like this, the days of non-resident deer hunting in MT on a deer combo every year are pretty much over. I suspect some of the bad winter issues in western WY and the like 2-3 years ago pushed some demand into MT, I hope as those areas recover MT odds will improve.

Cubby

WKR
Yea makes sense now that I think about it, if it were unlimited we wouldn't have any bucks left. Well good luck with your tag. I have drawn my elk archery for 17 years in a row until last year when I didn't draw, really bummed me out.

Wassid82

WKR
Idaho is a fun place to hunt with beautiful country. Mule deer numbers are tough right now. I didn't find a shooter buck until after the season closed. First time in a decade or more. We had a couple of years of bad winter kill and so not many older bucks right now. That will change sometime.....

Wapiti1

WKR
I would look at Wyoming and Colorado as well. You don't need points for some tags in either to just go chase deer. First and second season CO, or archery are easy draws in many units. Wyoming also has a lot of general zone tags that aren't hard to pull.

Jeremy

Sanchez

Lil-Rokslider
I applied for the Montana non resident big game combo this year. For the last ten years or so I have gotten it every year.

This year I am thinking that with the corona virus, and all the CWD in mule deer my odds are still pretty good.