Mule Deer Information

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
Can any of you guys recommend and articles or books that has really helped you in some way? I only have a basic understanding of mule deer hunting and looking for some resources. I have read Robby's book "Hunting Big Mule Deer" and found it to be a great read. Anything pertaining to biology or habitat would be great. Since I'm new its very hard for me to narrow down areas of possible interest while trying to plan a hunt. I can find a very broad area I think is good but I cant really find the spot within the spot if that makes sense. Any help is appreciated!

Last edited:
Reread Robbys book and then start with some of the books he's reviewed on the blog.
Reread The Legends book
Check out other books by folks like Walt Prothero, Mike Eastman, David Long
Reread Robbys book
Check out stuff like this
The migration initiative out of Wyo
Reread Robbys book one more time and you'll be ready.

Macegl

Lil-Rokslider
Robby's book is the best out there for hunting methods that will help you be successful in a variety of situations and habitats.

David Long's is very good for glassing techniques. Mike Eastman's is a good high country hunting book. Dwight Schuh's book is a great resource for stalking mule deer.

A other book I really enjoyed is Dennis Austin's. However it is written from more of a historical and management perspective, and not specifically for hunting.

None of them can replace what the deer themselves will teach you. But they will give you a good starting place.

Ben RT

Lil-Rokslider
I actually just went through and read/watched all the Rokslide articles and RokBlogs on Mule Deer (thank you COVID19 and Robby Denning!). They can be found by hitting the Home button up top, then scrolling to the "Popular Categories" at the bottom and selecting "Mule Deer." There's 169 posts (not forum postings, but actual blogs/articles) that date all the way back to 2013. I went to page 17 and worked backwards (took me a couple months).

Robby has really put a ton of effort (time, money, etc.) into sharing his knowledge to guys like me and you over the years. It may seem like we suck up to him, but I think the guy deserves some respect for not only what he's accomplished, but what he and his family have sacrificed to help others accomplish their mule deer goals. I'm pretty sure he hasn't struck it rich here...

I'd say go sift through those 169 posts and then re-read Robby's book (as mentioned) and maybe you'll have an idea of what books to then go buy.

I'm also tagging in because I'm on the hunt for another mule deer book! Good luck to you.

Tmac

WKR
Since you mentioned their biology, I’d recommend Mule Deer Country by Valerius Geist. Has some great pictures too. Geist is one of the most prominent biologists in studying NA ungulates. He’s retired now I believe, but his study of the MD herd around Banff is very informative.

OP
D.Rose

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
Got a couple of the books mentioned above ordered... Any podcasts you guys recommend?

Did you order all weather white tails by Jeff sturgis? I know hisstuff is focused on white tails, but I think you can pertain a lot of his stuff to mule deer. And most other game for that matter. Two years ago I had a few trail cameras out all fall through winter. After I checked them I saved all the pictures of bucks 2.5 years and older taken during daytime . Jotted down the dates and went back to weather underground and looked at things like temperature drops, wind drops, rising pressure etc etc. out of 40-50 pictures (not a huge sample) I bet 8 out of 10 were on those high percentage days. When there was bad weather conditions the picture dwindled substantially, even with does. I never thought I would see that much of a correlation. Could have been coincidence, may be not, but something to keep in the back of your mind when you have limited time to hunt. BTW the these pictures were in a rutting area mainly taken between mid OCT- January.

Did you order all weather white tails by Jeff sturgis? I know hisstuff is focused on white tails, but I think you can pertain a lot of his stuff to mule deer. And most other game for that matter. Two years ago I had a few trail cameras out all fall through winter. After I checked them I saved all the pictures of bucks 2.5 years and older taken during daytime . Jotted down the dates and went back to weather underground and looked at things like temperature drops, wind drops, rising pressure etc etc. out of 40-50 pictures (not a huge sample) I bet 8 out of 10 were on those high percentage days. When there was bad weather conditions the picture dwindled substantially, even with does. I never thought I would see that much of a correlation. Could have been coincidence, may be not, but something to keep in the back of your mind when you have limited time to hunt. BTW the these pictures were in a rutting area mainly taken between mid OCT- January.

What does Sturgis claim about the weather and deer movement? Storms certainly can make them active after a couple days.

Similar to his YouTube videos I felt like he repeated himself to nail down some key points. He orioritized certain days after weather changes (best day was right after, then little less good and then only slightly good). Talked about different strategies to hunt in rain, wind, snow etc. how to hunt hot and cold weather (revolves around how it stresses the deer out and how that increases urge to feed) or how they need to feed 5 times/ day and if weather makes them miss a time they will be out right after. Or feeding during the break in a rain storm etc. amount of movement during wind doesn’t change. But where they move does (leeward ridges). Not all cold fronts are created equal... if there is a cold front after a few weeks of warm stable weather, that is much better than a cold front only a week after another cold front. That’s just a few tidbits I remember. He mentions a lot of stats too. I wouldn’t have bought the book but my buddy had it and lent it to me to read. We all know weather can create good movement, i was just curious how he thought it did. Was pleased to see the correlations so on point with my pictures of bucks.

OP
D.Rose

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
Killed this old public land buck with his weather method a few years back. Been following him for close to 3 years. He puts out high level stuff. One of my favorite people to follow for deer just because all of his information pertains to every hunter in some way.

Attachments

• 56C23A9F-E282-4F01-AD6F-C960BC2ADBF5.jpeg
    56C23A9F-E282-4F01-AD6F-C960BC2ADBF5.jpeg
    710.1 KB · Views: 29
I shot this guy during a full moon phase two years ago. Waited out the morning in a transition area between bedding (and rutting) area on a river bottom and river breaks where they generally come from in the morning. Well he came from the bedding around 10 right after another younger buck and was heading to the breaks (completely opposite of what they normally do in mornings). Knowing this information works well. 2D7826BD-E818-40FF-88FF-D20C46FDD22E.jpeg

I wish I had my book from @robby denning now, Lent it to my best friend, because he points out several good books in there. Specifically I want to remember what book he recommended for tracking deer, I’ve been way more cognizant of tracks (whitetail and Muleys) the last couple years and it has taught me a lot.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I wish I had my book from @robby denning now, Lent it to my best friend, because he points out several good books in there. Specifically I want to remember what book he recommended for tracking deer, I’ve been way more cognizant of tracks (whitetail and Muleys) the last couple years and it has taught me a lot.

Thanks for the mention. The book you’re talking about is from Tom Brown Junior. “The art and science of tracking“. It’s got a little bit of hocus-pocus in there, but some very good information on tracking that goes way beyond anything most of us will ever be able to accomplish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
D.Rose

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the mention. The book you’re talking about is from Tom Brown Junior. “The art and science of tracking“. It’s got a little bit of hocus-pocus in there, but some very good information on tracking that goes way beyond anything most of us will ever be able to accomplish.
I also bought “The Art and Science of Tracking” on your recommendation. I am about halfway through it now and it is VERY in depth on tracking. It’s hard for me to comprehend the level of detail he goes in to but does get my mind and thought process triggered. I always thought I was detail oriented and paid close attention to the small details. After reading through part of that book I have a long ways to go yet.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I also bought “The Art and Science of Tracking” on your recommendation. I am about halfway through it now and it is VERY in depth on tracking. It’s hard for me to comprehend the level of detail he goes in to but does get my mind and thought process triggered. I always thought I was detail oriented and paid close attention to the small details. After reading through part of that book I have a long ways to go yet.

Exactly how I felt. But the book raised my awareness big time about tracks. And according to the author, tracking IS awareness

mainbeam pursuit2

Lil-Rokslider
There are several great books out there, you should find some info in each different book that is very useful. I have books from Robby, David Long , Mike Duplan, Mike Eastman and others. All have made me think about my approach to hunting. Like mentioned above don't overlook podcast, Robby and Jason Carter's podcast on Epic is very good. Another book people usually don't want to mention, due to his legal problems is Kirt Darner's. Not trying to fan any fires as he has had plenty of troubles but sure seems to know mule deer, plenty to be learned from his book.