Mule Deer/Optics/Next Purchase

Hey all,
Now that my big fall hunt (Wy elk) is over, I am starting to get back to the drawing board for the next 3-4 years. I will most likely draw a great CO mule deer tag in 2021 and it has me thinking about my optics setup and the need to potentially start putting some money aside. I typically hunt elk (calling the majority of the time) and so I dont typically use my binos much each September. I hunt blacktail July-September in CA and then Coues/Mule deer every Dec/Jan in AZ. I have always used a pair of Vortex 10x42 vipers on a tripod and have had enough success with them but have never really been a trophy hunter. I look for legal and then typically start making a plan.

On that note, I would like to make an investment into new glass but it stresses me out to make the wrong choice. I have spoken to a lot of reputable hunters locally that I trust as well as listen to Snyder and Jay Scott talk about glass. I dont own a spotter but I seem to be able to borrow one when I go to AZ. It is nice to have. Going off of what most say, I am thinking that I will start saving my $$ and in a year plus, buying a pair of Swaro 12x50 ELs. I dont live near many good optics companies so my plan between now and then is to visit some optics stores on trips or next years fall hunts.

Does anyone have any advice with regard to going this route. There are some things i prefer to buy new, binos are one of them. Not really interested in buying used as I spaz out about if they have been dropped, left in a hot car etc. Being the nature of summer blacktail and dec/jan AZ spot stalk, I am glassing off a tripod probably 90% of the time. I like the 12's route as I feel like I can still hand hold them in a pinch. Does anyone think I should save for a spotter instead? Doesn't seem right to me but I also have never owned one. I would love to have a pair of nice binos going forward and thinking this is probably the best time to do it. Maybe in 5+ years I will look at antler size more after I have killed more and a spotter will be my next big purchase.

I always really appreciate all of the feedback on this site and advice. Thank you all in advance for your help.

Let me know if there are any clarifying questions I need to answer that will better help out.

Going with 12x50 ELs is never a bad idea. Wide field of view and packs like a 10x when you’re on the move and can mostly hang with 15s when they’re on a tripod.

For what you described you may be better suited going with some slc or meopta 15s and keep your 10s for your archery hunts. Especially since you don’t have a spotter yet.

BluMtn

WKR
I carry 12x50 ELs and highly recommend them also. I don't pack a spotting scope on hunts, just from the pickup. I can see what I need to see with my binos.

Dennyd

FNG
Used to carry two sets of bingos and realized that was not smart, packing in to hunt coues deer. 15x56 swaros on my chest in Alaskan guide pouch.

After many years and different optics, I have settled on 10x42 Leica ultravid and Kowa 554 spotter (15-45x55). If you say where you are, someone will probably let you look through their stuff to help you make a decision. Come to Vegas and you can try mine, and also stuff I still have from previous purchases.

elkguide

WKR
After years and lots of money spent, I settled on Swaro 10X42's and also a spotter. I find that Swaro glass in 10 power does everything I need short of confirming trophy quality at long distance.

Definitely look through many before you spend the money.

litework

FNG
Somethings got to give if you want a top notch system..

Saving money for a Swaro scope and running Vortex Diamondback or anything of the sort will get you to your end goal faster perhaps?..