Mule deer rut with bow -tactics

Cowbell

WKR
Drew a January archery tag in southern NM and this will be the first time I've had a chance to chase MD in the rut. Would like to hear different tactics that more experienced hunters have used to find success.

rob86jeep

WKR
I'll be there as well. I'm more concerned with the weather then the deer though, lol. I haven't done any January camping in NM before so I'm hoping my 15 degree sleeping bag will enough.

So many of my buddies that live in Boise hunt late archery. All they ever do is see a bunch of deer and spook the deer all around. You have to be very strategic and careful with your stocks or sit trails, etc.

Last edited:

JPD350

WKR
This is in the south east desert of NM a few years ago, single digit temps with wind and snow. The year before we had 4 ft snow drifts everywhere and you couldn't hardly get off the main paved roads. Be prepared for frigid weather and to hunt in that weather. Glass them up and stalk them although when the snow or ground is frozen you need to glass them and jockey yourself in a spot where you think they will go, let them make the mistakes because they can hear you crunching from a long ways. It can also be 60 degrees and beautiful but I have had more cold weather than mild. A couple years ago in the boot heel we had 2 six inch snow storms backed up by 2 solid days of rain, frozen crunchy snow and then a freaking mud pit.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_e48.jpg

JPD350

WKR
Or it can be dry hot and very windy with lots of sand blowing around, super fun.........hit areas out of the wind, the deer bed down in tight draws but the bucks will make the does get up every once in a while.

OP
C

Cowbell

WKR
Or it can be dry hot and very windy with lots of sand blowing around, super fun.........hit areas out of the wind, the deer bed down in tight draws but the bucks will make the does get up every once in a while.
Do you see many deer when it is like this?

OP
C

Cowbell

WKR
I'll be there as well. I'm more concerned with the weather then the deer though, lol. I haven't done any January camping in NM before so I'm hoping my 15 degree sleeping bag will enough.
What unit - feel free to pm me

JPD350

WKR
Do you see many deer when it is like this?
No you don't see a bunch because you lose the ability to see far so it's spot and stalking bedded deer. Glassing areas in the morning and evening will help you figure out where to find them when it gets windy.

OP
C

Cowbell

WKR
No you don't see a bunch because you lose the ability to see far so it's spot and stalking bedded deer. Glassing areas in the morning and evening will help you figure out where to find them when it gets windy.
Thank you for sharing

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lannyw