Mule Deer vs Elk

I try to get my deer down before the elk start rutting, switch areas and hit it hard then as well! Best of both worlds ;)

Ralph

FNG
High country bucks, you bet I hunt them. Always put in for a tag in my elk unit. But if I really want a deer, I'll drive out on the family property, glass, put one to bed, stalk, kill, drive up and load, and off to the processor. I could never do this with an elk. Granted the bucks are not spectacular, but that's how easy they are. Rifle hunt is down-right unfair on that land. Might as well put hair on a paper target.

pronghorn

FNG
I have always preferred hunting mule deer. In my mind there is not a more intelligent animal than a mature mule deer buck. It is a quiet game, no calling, just stealth. They are much easier to pack out too:)

flytrait

Lil-Rokslider
Love the passion everyone has their favorite. For me I have to concentrate on one at a time or I can't do either. Elk first then deer.

One of the things I like best about Mule Deer hunting...NO CROWDS. Everyone out here waits until the later part of September to hunt rutting bulls which leaves me all alone in the high country basins to hunt bruisers!!! This year I hunted 11 days for Mule Deer and saw one hunter...my boss...and we hiked in together!!!

I do love chasing muleys...but bugling bulls are hard to pass up. Although...I really would love to tag out on a velvet muley one of these years.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great thread idea.

Funny how that goes. I have hunted and killed mule deer....always late though. I have been building points and do need to get in on the early highcountry hunt. I'm absolutely in love with screaming elk. This is one of the things that make hunting great, we each have a passion for a particular animal, and probably for even different reasons for that animal. This year I will be hunting antelope again, and the big old snot blowing, pi$$ spraying, tree raking bulls of the West......is it September yet????

a3dhunter

WKR
While hunting elk I keep thinking about mule deer above timberline, while hunting mule deer I keep thinking I'll see another big one in the next drainage. The thought of elk is far from my mind.
I would love to get my first elk, but I seem to be more excited about deer hunting than elk hunting come September.

BMB

Lil-Rokslider
you know why i don't really care for mule deer hunting much.......cause i lack the patience to kill the old smart ones. i'm too aggressive and always find myself watching them hop-hop-hop away....unless it's in the 130-150" class. HAH

i hunt elk and mule deer 2 seperate times of year so its really easy for me to lock in on elk in Sept which in turn makes it very easy to forget about elk and concentrate on rutting open country mulies in January. i love hunting them both but nothing compares to a big bull screamin in your face. but as someone else mentioned, 30" bucks get me pretty excited too!

racatac

FNG
I love big assed muley bucks but big bulls are definetly #2 on my list! Plus big bucks take soo much more focus since i cant hear bugling,just shale slidin.

JG358

WKR
Who else has an issue with forgetting about what a mule deer is when the first elk bugle rings through the air?

Not me, I havent heard an elk bugle in CO in a couple years. I'm blowing off archery elk season all together to chase muleys this year.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Chasing a BIG stinkin Muley in November is a fun hunt, but a SCREAMING, RUT ENRAGED BULL AT 5 YDS IS A TREMENDOUS HUNT and gets the adrenaline going like no other! To each his own, that is why we have tags to chase what we prefer, but in my book it is a simple response. ELK

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
He says no little muley can create this adrenaline

Attachments

• triail cam.jpg
    triail cam.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 59