Mule Deer vs Elk

Drelk

FNG
I love the sensory overload that elk hunting provides. David, I like big dumb and stupid. As time goes on I'm thinking of devoting the first ten days of September to sticking a mule deer. Sensory overload with a bull screaming at me is hard to beat

MOHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I'm glad to see there are so many different passions, and for various reasons. Being from the midwest mule deer are too much like whitetails to get my blood pumping much. An elk in rut is the true western experience in my opinion. I like to hunt animals in the rut whenever possible, so I try for early elk and late mule deer tags. Plus, and I'm probably in the minority here, I'm not a huge fan of velvet. Around here it shows an animal that was more than likely killed out of season when it's guard was down during the summer routine.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
that is a good point MOHunter about the velvet. Years and years ago, I used to think velvet was weird but have come to accept and like it. It's just so delicate and hard to get out of the backcountry intact.

Daniel Bybee

Lil-Rokslider
Well since I havent gotten to hunt elk in about 4 years, I have pretty much lost my drive for the giants. Big ol muleys have taken my passion to the next level, be it in the the desert, scrub lands or the alpine country(which I have yet to find in az). Hopefully will be moving to Grand Junction in 2013 if I can find a job, then I can hit the high country.

McFly83

FNG
I'm the opposite. I go mule deer hunting with an elk tag in my pocket just incase I stumble across a bull. I would rather hunt 180 mule deer than 380 bulls any day of the week. Theres nothing better than watching a big ole muley through your spotting scope. Elk are a dime a dozen. There are 350+ bulls are alot easier to come by with a bow than a 180+ mule deer. JMO

bigmoose

WKR
There is no way that I would have an elk tag while deer hunting...shoot one and you are packing meat for two days, if you are lucky, and there goes the deer hunt. Just my thoughts....LOL

Moose

I'd have to say mule deer all the way. Last year I found a 190 class muley here in Colorado during archery season. I also drew a limited entry elk tag in UT. Never even went to UT! Did kill the buck though :)

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Love your Avatar bigmoose- I'm a sucker for pics from 70's, 80's as they take me back to learning to hunt mule deer in SE Idaho as a kid. Lots of jeeps around then with bucks in the back! How old is pic?

Blayne SJ, have you posted a pic on the Rok somewhere of that bad boy?

Giving up a UT LE tag is no small feat. Did you apply for your points back?

bigmoose

WKR
robby...I'm glad you like my avatar. This photo was taken in Colorado in 1980 and is one of my favorites. Back then you could pretty much Jeep all over the mountain. Now all the old roads (trails) are closed but the hunting is better. The pack out is harder, but still, a good thing.

We put the spare on and left his head as you see it and headed for camp. I got a few looks, but back then it was all about the elk....lots of hunters too. Definetely a different era.

Moose

I will hunt anything I can. That being said Mule deer are king. Nothing beats chasing a big old mulie buck above timberline. I look forward to those few weeks all year long.