Muledeers should be hunting on flat or mountains?

Sonora hunter

Banned
Guys, like we know most of the hunter normaly they hunt muledeers on hills land or mountain lands., in my experencie is more big bucks on flat lands they grow more.

Enviado desde mi HUAWEI Y560-L03 mediante Tapatalk

LandYacht

WKR
Opposite in my experience, seems most of the bucks in the Valley floor are genetically smaller. Our guess is they get kicked out of the hills by the big boys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Both, big bucks are smart, and know where to hide. I see big bucks in both mountains and lower country, as long as there is security. That is why some big buck live in city limits where no hunting allowed.

RoJo

WKR
Hunting desert muleys is a bit of a different ballgame. Desert bucks tend to live longer in areas that get less hunting pressure. Generally speaking, that translates to the flatter terrain that does not lend itself to glassing. So in that respect I would agree with Mr. Sonora.

Been hunting Mule deer in Northern Nevada my whole life and it seems to me that high mountains (like alpine) seems to produce a better quality and quantity of better than average buck, but the only real bruisers (180"+ bucks) I have seen have been in the lower lands with a lot of smaller bucks. which I think does have a lot to do with pressure and quality of food.

• Banned
OP
Sonora hunter

Sonora hunter

Banned
Hunting desert muleys is a bit of a different ballgame. Desert bucks tend to live longer in areas that get less hunting pressure. Generally speaking, that translates to the flatter terrain that does not lend itself to glassing. So in that respect I would agree with Mr. Sonora.
I agree with Mr. RoJo, i have tow ranchs on a isolated zone and is typical to see roman nose mulyes(8 to 10 years old muley). Well and this past season i got that nonetypical from that picture.

Enviado desde mi HUAWEI Y560-L03 mediante Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
We banned Sonoran hunter. This thread was a farce as evidenced by all the PMs he sent out trying to advertise his ranch. We call those Spammers. Thanks to all who gave me a heads up.

Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
Now that we've set the stage for a discussion on hunting desert muleys, I'd sure entertain any tips and/or advice.

I bow hunted 30 in NM last year and drew another archery tag for 33 this year... split season Sept 1-24 and Jan 1-15 (pre rut/rut)

I've read Robby's book and Dwight Schuh's book and experienced the desert backcountry for myself a few times last year. I have a unit 33 map from mytopo.com and several BLM quad maps that I've been going over, as welll as GE. I'll be making a few trips soon to burn some rubber and leather.

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey thanks for reading my book. Water and trail cameras seem to be a top technique for the desert

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
Too bad he got banned, I was looking fwd to more of his tips... 😜

bohntr

WKR
Nomad:

I've written a few articles on low desert mule deer hunting (archery only) I can send you (or to Robby to post somewhere here??).......I'm not an expert by any means, but I've bowhunted the Arizona desert for over 30 years now and will share what I know in terms of tactics and what I look for.

RoJo

WKR
I assume you're talking about using predator calls.

Yes, but I have also heard of people having some success with grunts and rattling in some situations, although I have not tried that myself.

Predator calls (i.e. fawn distress) will attract does sometimes, and during the rut buck(s) may follow the does in. I have even seen smaller bucks (forks & spikes) respond to fawn distress first and wait for the does to come in, like "I'm going to hang around this crying baby and pick up chicks!". This kind of calling should be used sparingly though, they wise up pretty quick.

dacd4134

Lil-Rokslider
Nomad:

I've written a few articles on low desert mule deer hunting (archery only) I can send you (or to Robby to post somewhere here??).......I'm not an expert by any means, but I've bowhunted the Arizona desert for over 30 years now and will share what I know in terms of tactics and what I look for.

Maybe Robby would let you post them (or post them for you). I'd be really interested in reading them as well.