Mules for hunting in the east

Lowg08

WKR
I’ve read the current mule topic and I was wondering how a mule compares to a horse in back country hunting. Riding is not an issue. I’ve broke colts to have gas money in high school, worked two horse barns during the summers, worked at a horse barn for a little while working at the power company, rode padded walking horses and currently tinkering at my sis in laws thoroughbred rescue. I have owned horses before and got rid of them when my kids were little due to no time. Now that they are all
Riding age and riding I’m considering it again
I’ve always been told they are more sure footed and could tote more gear. I just want to make a good decision considering my boy is still a green rider and we are still ponying my daughter. My wife is a good rider on a solid horse. Is there any down side to them.
I’m partial to a draft mule for myself just because I’m so tall I look dumb on a 15- horse. Other than that a standard mule will be great for my family members.
Any advice or experience will be helpful thank you all

ultraedge

FNG
I have owned six that we rode while hog hunting with dogs. There are mules that will suit any level of rider. I have used them day and night to hunt and drag or carry live hogs in varied terrain. They handle rough terrain better than an average horse. It usually took about six months of riding to get them to cross water,steep banks, neck rein, jump fences, etc. Mine had an uncanny sense of direction. When you rode away from home or the trailer, no matter how far you went or how many different directions you took, they could head directly back to the point of departure. I have also ridden them while they trailed up wounded game(deer). One deer(bad hit) was jumped six different times in thick river bottom and ran, but that mule found him every time and we retreived it.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
It’s not terribly rough in the places I want to go. It’s just out of my by foot range where no one else will go.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
look up Devin Duncan on facebook, him and his dad use them extensivley up here in the mountains of virginia for both whitetail and turkey , he can answer any questions u might have about them. And they have success using them

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
Thanks a bunch. That sounds great. I’ll be using them for whitetail, Turkey, bear and hog and all that in between

Nicklhead

FNG
Stronger than horses. People say stubborn but it’s the fact they think before they just react to the rider. My favorite mule is a mix of walker and draft she has three speeds of walk. We hunt out west here in Colorado. Rocky terrain no shoes. We went for a ride about 4 weeks ago and a man on a horse was at the same trail head asked if he could join the group I told him our mules walk fast he said no problem. After 3/4 of a mile he rode up in a trot and said he realized his horse was not going to keep up. Thanked us for the opportunity and turned around to another trail. I hunted on horses for years and love my mule Kate is 7 and as smart as any 15 year old horse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nicklhead

FNG
Stronger than horses. People say stubborn but it’s the fact they think before they just react to the rider. My favorite mule is a mix of walker and draft she has three speeds of walk. We hunt out west here in Colorado. Rocky terrain no shoes. We went for a ride about 4 weeks ago and a man on a horse was at the same trail head asked if he could join the group I told him our mules walk fast he said no problem. After 3/4 of a mile he rode up in a trot and said he realized his horse was not going to keep up. Thanked us for the opportunity and turned around to another trail. I hunted on horses for years and love my mule Kate is 7 and as smart as any 15 year old horse.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
that is great. Im looking into the draft mule. Percheron mule to be exact

I’ve had mules all my life . Few things to remember.
The all have some quirk that can be mild or extreme.
They are very intelligent compared to most horses.
A mule wont hurt its self .
Some mules ride rough when they put their foot down. Can be rough on the rider.
Big man doesn’t necessarily need a big mule . It’s like you said looks funny to us.
Test drive your mule a while . Don’t ride it in a round pen and say I’ll take it. Do real world riding.
There’s a good magazine you may like
Mules and More I think she has a free online edition this month.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
Thank you for the info. I will definitely heed all the advice in picking them out I’m not in a great big hurry though. I’d rather take my time and get what I want

We live in the Ouachita Mountains of Arkansas.. Mule country, yep. Have hauled and used em in Wyoming, Montana, Colorado. They are not horses. We've been in the horse business for our living for 50 years. The mule is a thinker, a precise handler of rough terrain, heat tolerant, easy keeper, tough and strong. A good mule you have taken the time with, is a fantastic beast. A bad mule is not what anyone needs. There's not much in between. They need tack that fits, and they like their saddle a bit further back than what you'd be used to with horses. Keep em comfortable, treat em fair, use em hard, they'll make you proud. I know we haven't been without a mule for at least 20+ years.

Attachments

• Margo statehouse mountain.JPG
    Margo statehouse mountain.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 35

Nicklhead

FNG
We live in the Ouachita Mountains of Arkansas.. Mule country, yep. Have hauled and used em in Wyoming, Montana, Colorado. They are not horses. We've been in the horse business for our living for 50 years. The mule is a thinker, a precise handler of rough terrain, heat tolerant, easy keeper, tough and strong. A good mule you have taken the time with, is a fantastic beast. A bad mule is not what anyone needs. There's not much in between. They need tack that fits, and they like their saddle a bit further back than what you'd be used to with horses. Keep em comfortable, treat em fair, use em hard, they'll make you proud. I know we haven't been without a mule for at least 20+ years.

You could not have said that better. Saddle back and tack that fits. There is nothing like a uncomfortable mule also. Bad fitting tack is like to small of boots for us. Way to say it.