Mules vs Horses

Takeem406

WKR
Thinking it's time to get a horse (horses) for hunting. But I'm told mules are better to ride than a horse in the mountains. Might be this year, maybe a couple years from now but I need em.
I hunt solo a lot because of work schedules and as much as I love packing out with my Tenzing, horses are smarter.

How much do good mules go for or any pointers on buying or a reference.

Also for saddles what's a good way to go. Today I noticed my Kenetreks didn't fit my buddies stirrups worth a hoot.

Thanks!

roknHS

FNG
Mules are smarter than horses. They don't founder like a horse will. They won't drink too much water when they're too hot or eat too much grain if they find a sack open. You can bully a horse to get into a tight spot to retrieve a downed game animal, don't try that with a mule or you'll end up losing the battle. Mules remember if you mistreat them. Lots of time and miles will make you and your stock a lot smarter. You will have wrecks......not "if" but, "when". Mules live quite a bit longer than horses so they have a longer useful life.
Decker pack saddles are the most popular if you use mantys. Sawbucks are more popular with bags. A riding saddle with a flat seat will kill your butt. A lot of slope to the seat is much more comfortable. Boots and stirrups are a personal choice. A packer style hunting boot is what I prefer. More narrow profile with a heel. They aren't as forgiving on your feet on steep slopes however.

I find good mules sell for more than horses do. Probably cuz there's fewer of them. Make sure you know what you're buying. A soured horse or a mule that's been abused can be your worst nightmare. The term "kicks like a mule" can take on real meaning.............. Make sure they are easy to shoe and are easy to load in a trailer or truck.

I've seen nice riding mules go for $2500 and up.

Last edited:

wyosteve

WKR
I'll second what Rokn said. I've had mules for 25 plus years. Still have 3 of my original ones. They are 31,29 and 28. I still use them and have never needed a vet for anything with them. Cost wise, as Rokn said, 2500 is probably minimum for a good mule. But, having said that, at Jake Clark's Mule Days in Wyo. this past June, the high selling mule went for $61,000!

rayporter

WKR
some points;

you can buy stirrups [cheap] to fit large boots- it is not a saddle thing. a diy hunter cant afford the weight penalty of several pairs of boots.

saddles are sized to fit your butt. 14 in, 15 in.,and 16 in. being most common. most guys take a 15 or 16in. i am 6 ft and weigh 200 and a 15 fits me ok. there are many styles or shapes of saddles to discuss later.

mules can be very hard to cozy up to. there is a steeper learning curve with them. the bad stories you have heard-----well a novice should get a very good mule, VERY GOOD!

mules dont generally work out as loners. most want a buddy. if you only have one mule, and no horse, he may be a poor companion. equines are herd animals and mules can bring out the best and worst of the herd relationship.

personally, i feel you are better off starting with a horse [a good one] and getting a mule later. either way if he is free or they only want 200 bucks-run.

kickemall

WKR
Horses for riding and mules for packing, in a round about way because of the reasons posted above. Mules are generally lower to the ground and that makes it easier to load stuff on them. Mules are smarter ( well, smarter when it comes to taking care of themselves) and won't do anything to hurt themselves so when the time comes I need to urge a horse to do something, especially if I need to do it fast, I can get a horse to do it. A mule is going to think about it before it decides if its o.k.

Hardstalk

WKR
Keep in mind as well. (This is coming from a guy with a wacky work schedule and limited vacation pick days) when I get the chance to go hunt it takes me a day to round up all my gear and double check my list before I bail out. I own horses and have wanted to use them hunting. The thought of packing, loading, trailering, saddling, repairing anything on the horse tack (if need be) makes me cringe when I get some free time to hunt. I usually just grab my pack and go. Just imagine a flat on a horse trailer while you have been planning a morning hunt in a certain canyon for weeks or months. Not as easy as a truck tire to replace when you have to unload horses and reload. Or unload tack to get to the spare. By no means am I trying to be a Debbie downer on your idea. Just keep in mind there is a lot of work and time and effort that go into even the soundest of pack stock. Also a lot of $ to get dialed in right. Everything equine is 100 bucks. Seems like every time you turn around there is something that needs bought.

Horse hunting seems to be a different breed of hunter. If something were to happen in the field with a horse and it ruined my hunt I would lose my $(-)It! But horse hunters love having the horse there and accompanying them in the journey. They have a lot more self control than I do. If a horse costs them a hunt to them it's a learning curve. To me it would be a dead horse (kidding..kinda)

If your buddy owns decent horses see if he will let you make a solo trip with a good horse to get your feet wet for a couple days? Do it on a hunt not just a wilderness trip. The added pressure of having a tag is when the inevitable usually happens 😀

Im just assuming and mentioning these things because I get the drift this will be your first time owning equine. If you have the time, patience and money to take on the task I'm sure you will do just fine. I'll keep tabs on the thread, I'm curious to see which way you decide to go. Good luck.

Last edited:

rayporter

WKR
and that is a fair argument to make.

except, i have to note that i can change a tire on a trailer with horses on it far far faster than you can change a truck tire.

I prefer mules for riding rough country 100 percent. They do need more work and understanding but on a single track trail with rocks and rain and a cliff on one side I would not be on a horse. There are some horses good on rough stuff but I've never seen one compare to a mule. I would not spend less than 3000. And I would not ever buy without serious references or the chance to use the animal for a period of time. That goes for horses or mules as far as buying.

PNWGATOR

WKR
I'm new to the equestrian world and have had a lot of the same questions. I'm fortunate that my wife is a seasoned horse woman with a kajillion miles on the trails, has done all of the rodeo games and is an aspiring mounted shooter. So, I've had the luxury of a mentor. I also have invested in truly attempting to build a solid foundation of horsemanship. I've learned a ton and I'm still green, by a wide margin. I've learned a lot by reaching out to experienced backcountry horsemen who use stock to hunt and pack and do so regularly. Many on this fourm have been very gracious in their insight. I have an affinity for mules. I am an active member in a local/regional saddle mule club and have contact with lots of great mules and have ridden many backcountry miles with others who ride mules. I badly wanted to start with a good saddle mule, but long story short I have an incredible and very experienced horse.
Based on what I've learned in my short journey, I'd recommend finding the right animal. Don't focus on a horse or mule or a specific breed. Find the right animal. Go into it with an open mind. Find a mentor, someone you trust who's invested decades into horsemanship and the backcountry and the equestrian world and have them help you. Have them help you find an animal. It's a daunting task to find that right animal. The horse/mule world is interesting and filled with a lot of great people. That said, there are horse traders out there who will take advantage of your naivete and take your hard earned cash for something other than what was represented. Btdt.
Tack is very personal. Learn to ride and get a feel for as many saddles as you possibly can. Fit for the animal and you are crucial. Robby loves his lightweight cordura and that might be a good place to start. Find a good saddle vendor in your area and go look. When you get your animal(s) have them fitted and pick out what fits you both.
Packing is a whole different subject. Smoke Elser's book is the cornerstone of the basics. Dan Aadland has a good article on Deckers vs sawbucks. Royaltines website has a lot of good tutorial videos online as well.
It's a lot of fun! Oh, it's also incredibly expensive....beware. lol

GKPrice

Banned
this thread quickly turned into a darn good read ! Here's another insight personally learned - I used to live and breathe horses but not really in a hunting scenario for quite awhile - We had a group of guys who hunted together every year, usually on more than one hunt - One year we were all talking about the prospect of trying a "horse hunt" and me being excited to share my love of horses and all my "knowledge" I took the reins (no pun intended) and organized the deer hunt the next year with all my stock and a couple of borrowed horses as well, AND one of the guys brought his wife's "favorite" horse (BIG mistake, just trust me) Well, I very soon learned that when you are in a group of 8 good friends and 7 of them don't (or don't claim to) know beans about horses OR livestock there will be ONE in the group who worries about water, food, exercise, injuries, lose horses, yada yada yada .....and all of a sudden a forked horn buck looks "good"

Now SOLO is a different thing altogether - I've spent many of my most enjoyed moments/hours/days on earth setting a trusted horse in the middle of nowhere BUT at around midnight with 3,4,5,?? mules behind and "something" comes crashing through the train in the middle of the timber, while you're frantically wondering where all your mules are (if ya didn't get bucked off in the wreck) it might pass through your mind "what the HELL am I doing ??"

It's a very special, albeit adventurous, way to live and that's a GOOD thing

MTredneck

FNG
You're looking at a pretty big commitment, as you're probably aware. Truck and trailer, feed, tack, shoeing, worming & misc vet expenses and the rest rack up quickly. They also need to be used throughout the year to be decent during hunting season. You can't just turn them out and expect them to be ready to go. Works best if you have enough land for grazing that's big enough to ride out your door. If you have to trailer in order to ride, you're probably gonna have some fat worthless critters that aren't going to do you much good. Mules are great for packing and can be good for riding but it's hard to find a good riding mule and they usually have one slow gear and a grudging trot, so don't expect speed. You'll have to monitor a horse more closely to make sure it doesn't founder, though, unless you're using it a lot.

I'd say the individual animal and how much you use it is going to be more critical than horse v. mule. A couple horses and a mule or two is usually a good combo - you have an extra saddle horse if someone else goes and you can pack half an elk over the saddles in a pinch, or head back and pick up the mules for a tough extraction. After they've bonded you can generally turn the mule loose in camp and it won't stray too far from its horse buddies. I'm a fan of the portable electric fence for camp pasture, cause you're not up three times a the night unwrapping picket ropes and grinding whatever meadow into a bunch of circular mud holes.

I worked for uncles who outfitted some really steep country (in MT) and horses did just fine, although mules are certainly tougher when it comes to packing. It's more a matter of making sure they are in shape and have enough time under their belt to become "mountain horses" versus "riding arena horses" that balk at every stream crossing and buck when you get near 'em with anything bloody. Your best bet is usually to put the feelers out with some horsebacker friends and pick them up that way. Winter is a great time to pick one up because people are looking to dodge feeding for the season. Wait until hay is really expensive and you'll have more options.

I live in town, so although I miss having horses, I sure haven't been tempted to pick up a few. The elk tastes sweeter with a sweat marinade.

cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
I had an old timer tell me many years ago there was 3 things to look for when you went to buy a horse or mule to be used for hunting:
1) Attitude
2) Attitude
3) Attitude

I've owned many of both and the old timer was right.

GKPrice

Banned
I had an old timer tell me many years ago there was 3 things to look for when you went to buy a horse or mule to be used for hunting:
1) Attitude
2) Attitude
3) Attitude

I've owned many of both and the old timer was right.

I only wish I could say it as succinctly as the last 2 posts did .......

I am no expert and have limited experience but after riding with groups for years and watching countless numbers if horses lift their head and flail through rough country stumbling through a lot of it and the watching mules put their head down and pick their way through the sane country missing every rock and stick I will stick with mules. I love riding horses as well but if I'm headed into the woods its mules all the way. Until I see a sure footed horse someday I'll keep the odds in my favor.

You're looking at a pretty big commitment, as you're probably aware. Truck and trailer, feed, tack, shoeing, worming & misc vet expenses and the rest rack up quickly. They also need to be used throughout the year to be decent during hunting season. You can't just turn them out and expect them to be ready to go. Works best if you have enough land for grazing that's big enough to ride out your door. If you have to trailer in order to ride, you're probably gonna have some fat worthless critters that aren't going to do you much good. Mules are great for packing and can be good for riding but it's hard to find a good riding mule and they usually have one slow gear and a grudging trot, so don't expect speed. You'll have to monitor a horse more closely to make sure it doesn't founder, though, unless you're using it a lot.

I'd say the individual animal and how much you use it is going to be more critical than horse v. mule. A couple horses and a mule or two is usually a good combo - you have an extra saddle horse if someone else goes and you can pack half an elk over the saddles in a pinch, or head back and pick up the mules for a tough extraction. After they've bonded you can generally turn the mule loose in camp and it won't stray too far from its horse buddies. I'm a fan of the portable electric fence for camp pasture, cause you're not up three times a the night unwrapping picket ropes and grinding whatever meadow into a bunch of circular mud holes.

I worked for uncles who outfitted some really steep country (in MT) and horses did just fine, although mules are certainly tougher when it comes to packing. It's more a matter of making sure they are in shape and have enough time under their belt to become "mountain horses" versus "riding arena horses" that balk at every stream crossing and buck when you get near 'em with anything bloody. Your best bet is usually to put the feelers out with some horsebacker friends and pick them up that way. Winter is a great time to pick one up because people are looking to dodge feeding for the season. Wait until hay is really expensive and you'll have more options.

I live in town, so although I miss having horses, I sure haven't been tempted to pick up a few. The elk tastes sweeter with a sweat marinade.

Lots of good advice here

cowboy300

WKR
I will take a mule over a horse any day in rough steep nasty country. I own and hunt off both horses and mules and have no problem saying it takes a great horse to keep up with an average mule. Mules are tougher and smarter than horses. They require less feed and water than horses. Mules also travel with a smoother gait than horses on a trail. Now for cowboying or chasing steers in the arena give me a horse but steep, slick, rocky, deadfall, nasty country hunting and packing, give me a mule.

mntnguide

WKR
I have been around mules and horses in the mountains hunting extensively...I personally prefer to ride a good half draft/quarter horse mountain bred horse. I like to have an animal with whithers in the hills, which mules do not have, and you need a britchen or crouper if you are riding them in the hills to prevent you from going over his head on a downhill. . That being said, I used to always put my clients on mules when i guided in the Frank Church in Idaho because of the steep and nasty terrain we covered everyday. I trust mules with their feet much more when putting an inexperienced rider on them. But at the same time, the stubbornness of a mule can drive you crazy at times. My personal "dream string" will be a couple good mountain horses, and a couple good mules broke to pack and ride, so i can switch whenever i need to keep animals fresh.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Ah the Ford vs Chevy debate!

I ride horses but only because that's what I grew up with and they have never left me lacking. I've been around a few mules and lots of friends with them, only downside is they are smarter than their owners and if they don't wanna do it, they won't. I can usually coax a horse into about anything.

I'm really not the person to say which is better, I've just been very happy with most of the horses I've broke and ridden.