Muley Freak Video

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I mean don't trespass, don't poach, and don't be like Erik and I think you won't have much to worry about

Everyone ***** up... everyone. Not just talking hunting here. I just find it funny how tough people are here. Most would not say this to his face.

IMO, they should have banned him for five years, he knew what he was doing. Five years would have made Muley Freak irrelevant. But they didn't and calling him names on here won't change that.

Last edited:

rustneversleeps

Lil-Rokslider
Everyone ***** up... everyone. Not just talking hunting here. I just find it funny how tough people are here. Most would not say this to his face.

IMO, they should have banned him for five years, he knew what he was doing. But they didn't and calling him names on here won't change that.

Trust me I would have zero qualms saying it directly to his face and probably have a few other choice words too. If it was old times I would slap the **** out of him.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Ryan, these are egregious actions that I'm confident you, Robby, and most of the honest guys on here would never do.

I'm not sure why it's important for you to make your point. He's a human being, certainly, but not worthy of much respect at this point as shown by the response here. It's good for others to be aware of this.

I am not defending his actions in the slightest. But I find people piling on stupid! State the facts and move on.

Some people need to read the rules again.

Lowndes

FNG

IMO, they should have banned him for five years, he knew what he was doing. Five years would have made Muley Freak irrelevant. But they didn't and calling him names on here won't change that.

Did he just **** up or did he have a pattern of behavior that basically waves two fingers in the air at hunting, animals and the hunting community? People make mistakes. There is a difference between making a mistake and simply not giving two shits until you are caught and suffer the consequences.

This guy has also shown to have zero ethics when it comes to taking an animal. I hate to know how many animals he has wounded due to his lack of awareness of his poor shooting abilities.

At the end of the day hunting is a privilege and he has repeatedly shown he can’t handle that privilege.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Did he just **** up or did he have a pattern of behavior that basically waves two fingers in the air at hunting, animals and the hunting community? People make mistakes. There is a difference between making a mistake and simply not giving two shits until you are caught and suffer the consequences.

This guy has also shown to have zero ethics when it comes to taking an animal. I hate to know how many animals he has wounded due to his lack of awareness of his poor shooting abilities.

At the end of the day hunting is a privilege and he has repeatedly shown he can’t handle that privilege.

I agree! We need more posts like yours instead of he's a tool or a dbag.

jmcd22

WKR
I'm not a fan of Erik or their terrible long-range videos.

But, I've never met so many perfect people. The court of public opinion is a bitch I guess. Watch out you might be next.

When you put yourself into the spot light, you are subject to the court of public opinion. I am FAR from perfect but I respect this sport, other sportsmen and most important, the animals that we hunt to know what is right and what is wrong. Do people screw up? Sure they do but when you're a three time offender (likely more but has only been caught three times) I have zero sympathy for him. If the courts won't give him the proper punishment then I believe it is up to sportsmen to make him irrelevant.

FWIW, I would say everything I've said on here to his face. I don't need to insult the man (no one else needs to either) but I can make my opinion known that there is no place for his actions in the sport that so many of us hold dear.

Azone

WKR
No ethics ✅
Piss poor shooting✅
Horrible ambassador for hunters✅

Being a repeat offender like him I agree that a five year ban would have been fitting. It strikes me this is a person who is hunting for fame and fortune, a "stick" measuring contest is what hunting has become for people like him.
This guy is a victim of the mass marketing of modern day hunting and the pressure that comes with staying relevant to push a product and be cool.
Clearly he took a passion, turned it into a job, loss sight of the reasons why he really does it and got greedy. Broke the law to get a kill on film to make money. One word for people like him.....desperate.

Just seen Ryan's comments about the name calling, not trying to instigate with the desperate comment. Just calling it how I see it.

Reactions: OMB

jmcd22

WKR
My sense is that Ryan is really just not okay with the name calling idea. I think it's splitting hairs to divide between name calling and denouncing actions but I will respect Ryan's call on this. Obviously Erik's actions are despicable and there's no other way to describe it. Watch his content for a couple minutes and you'll see that it's everything that hunting shouldn't be, apart from the legal issues he's had as well.

I agree and I have edited my post accordingly. I get wound up pretty quickly when people do things that put us and our sport in a bad light. Especially when that person has the notoriety he does.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I have been known to not have the best wording and type really fast being a coder:)

I agree with most of these posts. Let just keep the name-calling out of it.

Maybe he should consider a line of work that doesn't involve breaking the law to be "successful". Searching for fame and notoriety on the interwebs isn't my idea of an honest days work.

In my opinion monetizing hunting beyond license, tag fees and licensed outfitters is detrimental to the community as a whole.

Elite7

FNG
I went ahead and commented on his Instagram post asking about what year it was shot also. I believe most of his followers don't know about the conviction.

Trial153

WKR
I think some conversation and self introspective from inside the industry is needed, meaning how they respond and associate with violators after they are tried and convicted. That has to include sensible responses that are appropriate to the actions. Mistakes are mistakes, egregious and willfull volitions are different matter and I don’t believe it’s that difficult to differentiate between the two. Too often the industry lets these guys off with a wink and nod.

wrkn2hunt

FNG
I hunted deer a few years ago and stayed at the same cabins as Erik and his buddy whom I don't recall the name. Erik was actually decent to talk to and share info but the buddy he was hunting with was about as stand offish as they come and too good to talk to anybody. All I know is they left early and came back late so I figured they were hunting hard. Don't know much else about him but that was before things got too big for him with the Muley Freak deal.

mntnguide

WKR
He's the same grade of human as Jeremie Lewis aka wyo_highcountry... who was shooting big bulls on a private ranch in Idaho and claiming public land Wyoming. Until he got caught red handed then he tried to justify he made a mistake etc. Some people and their social media egos and what they will do to feed it it's down right shameful as a hunter. Muley Freak knows that they ignore it long enough people will seem to forget about it. It's unfortunate.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
I could honestly care less who follows and still likes Muleyfreak content and I want to leave this conversation to rest. But just seeing that the Mule Deer Foundation is still following and liking content made me cringe hard. I really hope they’re just ignorant to the facts and lack of ethics they have.