Muley hunt wish list

OP
B

Bfish22

Lil-Rokslider
If you plan on doing it every 3-5 years you may want to just start buying points in the states that offer like NV. Also you didn't mention archery or rifle, some times the odds are better for archery.
Guess I was thinking I’d start with rifle and then maybe try archery after gaining some experience with that type of hunting...

Guess I was thinking I’d start with rifle and then maybe try archery after gaining some experience with that type of hunting...

Very different hunting experiences. Rifle is usually October hunting when deer are hard to find. Archery is early or late when they’re easy to find and hard to get in range.

Marble

WKR
And to add to what has already been said, especially when it comes to finances and hunting a long way from home, listen to the guys above.

My .02 is to get experience. Go OTC and learn backpacking, glassing, general woodsmanahip and the behavior of the older big bucks.

I've read lots of books about all sorts of hunting, but none of those can replace the experience of success or failure.

I’m kinda in the same bot as OP...was looking at Wyoming and Colorado . I’m a school teacher with limited time off during the school year. Anyone spend time in Nebraska? It’s closer to me coming from Ohio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always thought western hunting was way too pricey for me. Probably because the guys I know that go out every year spend about 6 grand on there MT hunt. I spent 2,400 this year for a MT mulie hunt, gonna be 400 cheaper next year. Stayed in a hotel w/ a kitchen for 8 days in MT.
Save for optics, pack, clothes, rifle... this year. Hunt next year and every year after.

Rich M

WKR
It took me 38 years to get on my muley hunt. At 12 I read a book and wanted mule deer & antelope. Dad said no. Finally reached a point where I said if I wait too much longer I'll be too old to go.

Said, heck I'm going. Hooked up with a dude online and did a 2017 antelope hunt - got 2, had no so good time due to dude breaking code and said personal friend/family or solo for the muley hunt. Not gonna get stuck out on some chunk of land in WY by someone ever again.

Did muley hunt 2019 - CO. Went and stumbled around w 2 buddies and my old man, helpful hunters and a nice landowner helped me land a 159 inch buck - had an earlier opp at small 2x2. Of the 2 buddies - 1 cut & ran early due to being sick and cold weather coming, 2nd had 2 opps - 3x3 and 2x2 - missed both due to not being familiar with his rifle. My dad froze his old butt off and gave up being cook, instead hanging out in wall tent with heater - then we got a couple motel rooms.

All I'm saying - do your research, figure out what you want? A fun time? Just decide what you want - mtns, plains, mix - then pick a place that fits and go. It will fall into place. Most guys go years without success, just plan on hunting the whole time you are there - sunup to sundown. Go and enjoy the experience, the success will follow.

Our next hunt is antelope 3 of us collecting points for this, 2 are collecting WY mule deer points. Odd guy wants an elk hunt. I'm not sold on elk, sounds like a lot of work.

I've spent between $2,000-$3,000 this year including a $600 spotter and $500-600 on license fees and $500 truck rental and gas, and and.