Muley hunt wish list

Bfish22

Lil-Rokslider
So I’ve only ever hunted whitetail in my home state of Michigan. I really have an itch growing to do some mule deer hunting in the future. It will take me a few years to save up enough $ to be able to do it anyways. Does anyone have a recommendation on what state I should start acquiring preference points in? Right now I’m targeting probably 4-5 years down the road. Thanks in advance for any help you want to give!

OP
B

Bfish22

Lil-Rokslider
Yup, his book his on my Christmas list, I’ll be buying it in January if I don’t get it as a gift!

Bobbyboe

WKR
All of them cause once you're hooked there is no turning back,haha.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Exactly! But in all seriousness, Wy and Co for sure. Sprinkle in NV, AZ or Ut for good measure if you have the extra cash. If your only going to hunt once every 3-5 years then only apply in one or two states. Id is OTC, Nm is lottery.

OP
B

Bfish22

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, it’ll only be a once in 3-5 year thing for me, with time to save up $ for each hunt, am trying to figure out where to focus...was thinking Nebraska maybe. Colorado and Wyoming are probably the two closest to me after that

rich99

FNG
any and all. i am an easterner and have been going to colorado for the past few years and i love it.

Utah may be more expensive to hunt but the draw system is reasonably priced compared to surrounding states...

OP
B

Bfish22

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the ideas guys, been trying to read a lot of forums and will continue to do so....

TravisIN

WKR
I dont know your finances and am not asking. Im just gonna throw this out there to think about. I’m a regular blue collar guy, I live in Indiana. I have two very active kids and my wife stays home. So I’m the only income. I’ve been the last two years to Colorado elk hunting and have been solo so there’s no splitting gas and I drive an f150 that get 13 mpg. The first year was a little more expensive bc there were some things you HAVE to have but those things can be had fairly inexpensively if you are smart about it. So with my gas guzzler and a an elk tag it cost right abound 1100 bucks. A deer tag is about 250 less I believe. So you could do a self guided mule deer hunt for under a grand pretty easy I would think. I’m only saying this bc I never really knew how cheap it could be done if you look at the bottom line. Cheap in comparison to what I thought it would be, figured it be 8-10k for a guided hunt. I’d rather have a tough ass hunt and do it on my own for 8-10 years for the price of one potentially good hunt once. All I’m saying is the next 4-5 years aren’t a guarantee. I know that even 1000 bucks can sometimes take a while to build up in some cases. Man I was broke as a joke before, laying all my bills out on a table trying to pick which one got paid that month so I complete get it. I’m not making this post to sound like it’s “just a grand”. Just to encourage you to really dig into it and see if you can do it sooner bc I know how much I love going and Wish i had went sooner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fatlander

WKR
Wyoming would be high on my list. I saw some hammers driving through Wyoming this past fall. I tend to agree with the guy above about budgeting and it’s really cheaper than you think. I used to chew a can of cope snuff a day. In one years time, I save 1,825 dollars. That’s my yearly elk hunt. Not saying that you haven’t cut all you could, but a fives bucks a day adds up. Just a thought. Good luck!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

Bfish22

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys, I am going to try to concentrate on a couple states and continue to save up. Sounds like you’ve been in my shoes not that long ago. And I totally get the 4-5 years not being guaranteed, I recently had a buddy lose his life in an accident that you can’t see coming....I will learn as much as I can, and hopefully talk a buddy into joining me to cut some costs and go sooner than later....thanks all, enjoy being here and the generosity of this forum community!

BrianReno

FNG
If you plan on doing it every 3-5 years you may want to just start buying points in the states that offer like NV. Also you didn't mention archery or rifle, some times the odds are better for archery.

Archery is way easier to draw and can lead to super fun high country hunts. Good archery options in Colorado, Utah, Idaho, and Nevada. Nevada is ideal if you can draw.