Multi Day Ski/Split Touring help

OP
P

Poser

WKR
@Poser: I went with that Weston Backwoods and Union Expedition bindings. Putting backpacking and snowboarding together is almost as exciting as when I realized backpacking and hunting together were a thing.
Haven't made it to WC yet this year cuz of the travel restrictions and it being a sensitive issue at work. Apparently real dangerous on the other side of that line.
I've got a heli waiting for me at Silverton so travel restrictions gonna be damned soon.
I ride with skiers and my wife tele skis so as far as splitboard mentors, this thread is the closest thing I have. Exciting times. Glad to see a few other people chipping in too. The transition from late season elk hunting to snowboarding is my favorite time of the year. Especially when the freezers full.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Awesome. I’m riding a Weston Backwoods as well. My first split was a Venture, but a flat rocker just didn’t seem to bite well as camber under foot when skinning. Several of my friends ride a Jones Hovercraft which, magnatraction certainly has appeal, however, I’d have to ride a 166W in order to get a board wide enough for my foot size and Incan ride a 163W on the Weston for a little more compactness. Riding a 166 in tight trees is bullshit.

Let me know when you come down to Silverton Mtn. I have a spring pass and will pony up for a guided day if there is more than 30+ inches.

This gig sounds like a ton of fun. I don’t ski or snowboard but use the hell out of snowshoes. I have a kifaru sled as well, which has several winter treks on it. I wouldn’t mind trying these split boards, but up until now I didnt know anyone who did it.

OP
P

Poser

WKR
This gig sounds like a ton of fun. I don’t ski or snowboard but use the hell out of snowshoes. I have a kifaru sled as well, which has several winter treks on it. I wouldn’t mind trying these split boards, but up until now I didnt know anyone who did it.

It’s a great hobby for anyone who feels like they have too much money

For winter trekking, you should consider a pair of XC skis. Check the used market and you’ll typically find a good selection. It would be way more efficient and enjoyable than snowshoeing. You do need to develop some basic skills to get around, up and down, but not the barrier of entry of downhill skiing.

I tried XC skiing a bit last winter, but I wasn’t too serious about it. I’ve thought about giving it another go this season

BBob

WKR
Or if you want something to efficiently get around (more efficient in the steeps and IMO more efficient overall than snowshoes) check out Drift Boards. Originally designed for snowboarders to get into the backcountry but ride a regular board.

BBob

WKR
Awesome. I’m riding a Weston Backwoods as well. My first split was a Venture, but a flat rocker just didn’t seem to bite well as camber under foot when skinning. Several of my friends ride a Jones Hovercraft which, magnatraction certainly has appeal, however, I’d have to ride a 166W in order to get a board wide enough for my foot size and Incan ride a 163W on the Weston for a little more compactness. Riding a 166 in tight trees is bullshit.

Let me know when you come down to Silverton Mtn. I have a spring pass and will pony up for a guided day if there is more than 30+ inches.
Ha! Who’d a thought there’d be a split board conversation on a hunting site. I’m on a Jones 158W Explorer that I picked up unused but second hand (cheap) and went with w Union Expedition to keep the cost down. Also on Drift boards and whatever board of the day I want to ride. As soon as I can take care of a few things (and more snow hits) I’ll be trekking up WC way again.

Clarktar

WKR
The rest are still in a closet.

First splitty was a burton wide that I cut myself.
1a1e57b39cba5c8c7c29cc7359adf0eb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Here ya go, gear junkies!

Sort of a thread drift, but still related!

Poser I've done some winter camping in the San Juans. Picked warmer temps and stable snow. No hot tent just a four seasons and a good bag. Liquid fuel stoves work better in cold temps.
0632bf350e5fc2fbaf2e79ffb0f37b7e.jpg
8c46be436a8a16dac523a9c51dc7555d.jpg

Sent from my F1 using Tapatalk

BBob

WKR
And another side drift, how many of you Powsurf? I suck at it but it’s sure a lot of fun and unless you’re really good small slopes can be a ton of fun.

And another side drift, how many of you Powsurf? I suck at it but it’s sure a lot of fun and unless you’re really good small slopes can be a ton of fun.
So much fun, can make mellow terrain difficult and those high Avi danger days it's perfect. Watching your buddies tomohawk is priceless as well.

OP
P

Poser

WKR
Here ya go, gear junkies!

Sort of a thread drift, but still related!

Poser I've done some winter camping in the San Juans. Picked warmer temps and stable snow. No hot tent just a four seasons and a good bag. Liquid fuel stoves work better in cold temps.
0632bf350e5fc2fbaf2e79ffb0f37b7e.jpg
8c46be436a8a16dac523a9c51dc7555d.jpg

Hmm. Hard boots. I’ve been hearing and seeing a lot about the phantoms possibly being the break thru hard boot for splitboarding, but just not convinced on them. I like the ability to adjust my bindings relaxed or tight depending on the terrain. Ive been using the Thirty Two Jones for 2 seasons and have a pair of K2 aspects that I’ve been dialing in the fit on. A few partners have switched to hard boots and like the weight saving for skinning, but I think I’m gonna hold out another couple of years before diving into that. I really don’t like super twitchy bindings even for free riding, so I feel hardboots would be over responsive.

I assume you still ride soft boots for chairlift terrain?

OP
P

Poser

WKR
That might be fun!!

RMNP would be a obvious contender, but so
Many people in that area. I have some super deep holes in the Weminuche I’ve been eyeballing while summer scouting for elk. This would have to be mid May or later to be safe. -not posting pics on a hunting forum, but if all parties are sworn to absolute secrecy, I’d be willing to host that idea. That being said, it’s deep enough that would be a minimum of a 5 day trip. 6-7 days would be better. That’s probably too much for a bunch of strangers. For “front country” riding, Silverton CO is always a good base of operations.

I’d also be open to a PNW volcano split tour or something out of the Bozeman area
Depending on where the interested folks are based. That being said, a get together of backcountry hunters who split and ski in the backcountry would potentially make for a great trip.

Maybe just Rokslide Skinfest? I'm in, if it's just a fancy way of saying a Backcountry snowboard trip with strangers.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Clarktar

WKR
RMNP would be a obvious contender, but so
Many people in that area. I have some super deep holes in the Weminuche I’ve been eyeballing while summer scouting for elk. This would have to be mid May or later to be safe. -not posting pics on a hunting forum, but if all parties are sworn to absolute secrecy, I’d be willing to host that idea. That being said, it’s deep enough that would be a minimum of a 5 day trip. 6-7 days would be better. That’s probably too much for a bunch of strangers. For “front country” riding, Silverton CO is always a good base of operations.

I’d also be open to a PNW volcano split tour or something out of the Bozeman area
Depending on where the interested folks are based. That being said, a get together of backcountry hunters who split and ski in the backcountry would potentially make for a great trip.
I'll keep tabs. Just got shoulder surgery Friday. Rotator & Labrum.

Hmm. Hard boots. I’ve been hearing and seeing a lot about the phantoms possibly being the break thru hard boot for splitboarding, but just not convinced on them. I like the ability to adjust my bindings relaxed or tight depending on the terrain. Ive been using the Thirty Two Jones for 2 seasons and have a pair of K2 aspects that I’ve been dialing in the fit on. A few partners have switched to hard boots and like the weight saving for skinning, but I think I’m gonna hold out another couple of years before diving into that. I really don’t like super twitchy bindings even for free riding, so I feel hardboots would be over responsive.

I assume you still ride soft boots for chairlift terrain?

Ive been on Phantoms since the early years of their development. Ive known John (Phantom Mastermind) since the first splitfests in Silverton. The boots options these days are amazing. And can be dialed in and actually feel even softer than some soft boot setups. What I like most is that once you get used to them its a very predictable response.

I can't imagine going back to soft boots for longer missions and mountaineering style missions. I have ridden the hard boots on resorts when I've been on split board trips but it was going to be a pow day. But for Purg or Wolf Creek I just ski.

Phantom does have plans to ramp up and start offering more demos so keep an eye on that.