Multi Day Ski/Split Touring help

OP
P

Poser

WKR
Ive been on Phantoms since the early years of their development. Ive known John (Phantom Mastermind) since the first splitfests in Silverton. The boots options these days are amazing. And can be dialed in and actually feel even softer than some soft boot setups. What I like most is that once you get used to them its a very predictable response.

I can't imagine going back to soft boots for longer missions and mountaineering style missions. I have ridden the hard boots on resorts when I've been on split board trips but it was going to be a pow day. But for Purg or Wolf Creek I just ski.

Phantom does have plans to ramp up and start offering more demos so keep an eye on that.

I’m open to it long term. Especially as specialized soft boots get more expensive. The 2021 Jones Thirty Twos are $650, pushing within $150 of a pair of hardboots.

Presently, however, his boot offering stops at size 12 mondo point 29.5. Im a size 13 with a mondo point 30.5. Im one of the weird exceptions who wear the same size street shoe as a boot. If I spent some time and $ with a boot fitter, I could probably have them customized to the point of fit, but that would be $$. I’d be interested in checking yours out in person some time.

I’m open to it long term. Especially as specialized soft boots get more expensive. The 2021 Jones Thirty Twos are $650, pushing within $150 of a pair of hardboots.

Presently, however, his boot offering stops at size 12 mondo point 29.5. Im a size 13 with a mondo point 30.5. Im one of the weird exceptions who wear the same size street shoe as a boot. If I spent some time and $ with a boot fitter, I could probably have them customized to the point of fit, but that would be $$. I’d be interested in checking yours out in person some time.
Being a big guy, the slipper bay even be too soft for you. This years batch was the first run and therefore only offered in a smaller size. I believe next year will have a larger size offering. Im actually still using modded TLT 6 because I have gotten used to them and they last forever. The investment over time will be way better than soft boots. You can also find great deals on the atomic backland and then add the phantom link lever.

I thought I’d ask here since there will be more of an understanding of hot tents and load shelves vs. the non hunting crowd.

Been planning on doing more Overnight splitboard trips this winter for both aesthetic reasons and to get further away from the shitshow that will be the winter backcountry scene this year. I had a overnighter planned for this weekend as a shakedown trip, but my partner bailed because he didn’t want to skin in with such a heavy pack. I was all packed up and not happy with my setup at all so here’s a chance to ask for some advice and tips.

Details:

-Hot tent is necessary.
-Would like to ideally have my airbag/Avy bag with me, but, ugh... the weight.
-original plan was to use my Exo 3500 and carry the Avy bag empty of all contents except the canister and air bag in the meat shelf, but it was way too bulky. I downgraded to a BD dawn patrol pack for this trip, but for certain terrain, I will absolutely want my airbag in the future.
-all the usual winter gear: puffy, down booties, etc.

Question:

Skinning in with camping gear + Avy gear, tools, repair kits etc. any tips for packing all of this gear + piggy backing a touring pack or airbag setup? Anyone just tour with their full size pack? (Don’t really want to do that, but open to ideas).
Best way to carry a helmet on a backpacking pack without it dangling?

Approximate pack weight for an overnight trip including Avy gear, helmet, goggles, tools, spare parts etc? (I felt like I was way heavier than anticipated).

What is the breaking point for pack weight vs. pulling a sled? I don’t want to pull a sled as the terrain around here is too steep. Also, as a snowboarder, I am a shit split skier. Working on getting better, but going downhill with a sled on split skis is out of my wheelhouse.

Any other tips or considerations?
Just to be clear I'm not looking to debate WHY I do NOT use an airbag system as I know they are pretty popular and used often these days BUT they are very heavy and take up alot of space. I use good ol terrain assessment , common sense, and checkout the avy report / weather report. Ive never been a powder hound and could give 2 shits about skiing POW . Ive always just went out wether its corn , breakable crust , mank, POW or whatever but find myslef usually on "variable" snow. If its high Avy danger then I'll ski low angle stuff that isnt prone to slides and again use common sense. Skinning can also trigger slides so I'm always aware and assessing terrain whether going up or down. Ive had friends die on the mountain and am aware of avy danger. Common sense prevails. Day trips are 99% of what I do and have only done a handful of hut trips and bivy type ski trips but was able to get away with a 60 L pack and ultralight packing. Not sure about weight ? You can get bye with very close to your usual fall backpacking set up ( your only adding basic ski / binding repair kit, hand warmers to warm your boots, probe, beacon, shovel) and digging a snowcave or dugout will add warmth and protection . I see you mention goggles which are heavy and take up space. Sunglasses usually work for me. I can backcountry ski from my house and average about 25 days a season in the backcountry x 13 years for reference. I admit I am sorta a "weight weenie" especially after competing in a few SKIMO races the last few seasons. Skiing down the "gnar" with a heavy pack BLOWS ( takes some getting used to and definietly throws you in a different balance point) but 99 % is skinning anyway were I dont mind a heavy pack as much. Setting up camp , dumping the weight, and lapping the zone you have scoped out with a semi empty pack is the way to go. Have fun!

Last edited:

peterk123

WKR
Following. I mostly alpine, but do a fair bit of tele skiing. Looking into an AT setup for backcountry skiing in Montana at some point real soon. Gear is pretty scarce and expensive these days though.

Dec 30 full moon skin.
8e5479bc1a112fb564d1dcb217d0f8ad.jpg

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

OP
P

Poser

WKR
Being a big guy, the slipper bay even be too soft for you. This years batch was the first run and therefore only offered in a smaller size. I believe next year will have a larger size offering. Im actually still using modded TLT 6 because I have gotten used to them and they last forever. The investment over time will be way better than soft boots. You can also find great deals on the atomic backland and then add the phantom link lever.

One of my partners had his Phantom boots completely crack wide open down the seam on him.