Hog Father vs MPG Pro

• Hog Father

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • MPG Pro

Votes: 14 60.9%
  • Other

Votes: 4 17.4%

• Total voters
I have been using a Spot Hogg Fast Eddie XL for a couple years and love the sight. With that being said I am wanting to upgrade to something with a little more in terms of micro adjustability doubling as a hunting and 3D sight. I have my eyes on a Hog Father or the new Black Gold Pro sight. I am going to order a custom configuration with 3-4 pins through S&S archery, price is within a few dollars of eachother. I have no experience with Black Gold sights and know the Pro model is very new to the market. All help is greatly appreciated.

LineandBuck

Lil-Rokslider
I tried both at the local shop, both seemed really well built, the MBG had the edge as far as the fiber optics and really preferred the tapered pin throats. Also really like that MBG has the sight tape visible from the arrow side.

Ended up with 3 pin Pro sight

I had a few fast eddie xls I wasn't crazy about but I have a 5 year old tommy hogg I cant seem to part with. I took off the old faithful and put on the mbg pro 3 pin .019,.019.,.010. pins are way brighter on the BG sight and the micro adjustability is so nice for setting the pin gaps I always fought with the spot hogg getting it perfect, and its far lighter. don't put your spot hogg tape on the BG, I had mine dialed for the spog hogg and thought its the same arrows its gotta be the same tape, shot at 50 and sailed one over the target the BG has a different reduction. I know the tommy hogg isn't what you asked about but its the same head as the hogg father just without the dovetail. ive been super happy with mine so far

TravisIN

WKR
I shot an MBG Ascent Verdict 4 pin last year. It was a good sight. But I went back to my Hogg father. Kinda apples to oranges as far as a direct comparison of those two exact sights. I don’t think you can go wrong with either one. Both companies are fantastic with amazing warranties. On my MBG I had a fiber break and I called them and they sent me a new pin no questions asked. At the time I asked about ordering new pins to change colors while I had them on the phone. The guy told me to just send mine in and he’d change out the fibers without charging I just had to pay to ship them there. When I switched back to my Hogg father I somehow lost of the mounting screws. When I emailed them asking what size it was so I could order another they sent me it free of charge. I also had the level on my sight go clear which makes it tougher to see. I emailed and they said to call and they’d set up the return to have it shipped in and repaired. I haven’t done that yet because now I’m used to the clear level and kind of like it. Long story but basically saying pick whichever one tickles your fancy bc you can’t make a mistake on this either way in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't messed with the mbg so I can't say which is better. I do have 3 Tommy Hogg sights and a Hogg Father. So clearly I like the spot Hogg sights.

Option 6 is one I was curious about. Not sure who has it as a new sight now. Still some of the trophy ridge versions on eBay. I noticed one in the classified section the other day.

For anyone using the MBG sight. How easy is it to either clean the fibers or cut them? I have found that every year or every couple years I pull a little bit of fiber out from my pin and then cut the end off. This brightens the pins back up. Curious how easy it is to do with any of the other sights. thanks

Wapiti1

WKR
I went MBG Verdict simply because the yardage tape is visible while I am at full draw. To me, there doesn't seem to be any other practical difference.

Billy, the pins are easy to work on. Take the translucent cover off, and you can do what you want with the individual pin fibers.

Jeremy

MT257

WKR
I really like my MBG, fiber is super bright and sight tape is visible. I have not yet tried the Spot Hogg models your considering.

renagde

WKR
MBG is tough to beat when it comes to durability and pin brightness. Also, I always preferred a dial with my yardage tape on the inside vs having yardage tape on the opposite side of my bow like Spot Hogg.

Trial153

WKR
Owned both. MGB for sure. I have bought a pair of MGBs on here from Bean, excellent prices and service

OP
E
Graves14, I was planning on ordering the custom configuration through S&S for sure. They have got a lot of my business over the years, purchased my custom Fast Eddie XL through them.

Thanks everyone for the responses, I think I’m going to go with the MBG Pro. Lighter than the Spot Hogg, offers a little more adjustability it seems, might be slightly less durable but that’s ok.

ndmarine

Lil-Rokslider
personally i like the 2 pin version of the fast eddie. Clean sight picture and you can interpolate range changes. 4 pins all moving dont why you'd bother with a moveable sight.

karltime

FNG
I use a black gold verdict, 5 pins with the bottom one as my slider from 60 yards down. Haven't ever had a problem with it. They are exceptional sights. I would say MBG Pro.

noroads

FNG
Hogg Father for me and I've had multiple MBG sights. I love the MRT Rings on the Father and I have a 2 pin head, 3 pin and 5pin head to choose from. The marked Dial is really useful not just for 3D but for getting accurate sight tapes fairly easy and works great with Archers Mark app (I prefer to use the Dial marks on the app for 3D because of the precision over the tapes).

The pins are plenty bright on the Hogg Father and its super durable. Both are great sights but I love the Hogg Father for an all around great sight.

I just purchased the new Spot Hogg Tommy Hogg sight and have been struggling with the pin brightness. I switched over from the MBG sight and know I am questioning my decision.