Multi pin sliders - share your knowledge

So I have been noodling with the idea of a new sight. Currently using a 5 pin fixed set at 20-30-40-50-60. I hunt the east in PA and NY where shots are going to be 20-40 yards. I hunt mainly from the ground with a little tree stand action now and the.

I want to stretch out my shots in practice to 80-100 so have been researching sliders. I was honing in on single pin models but have since reconsidered.

I seems like a 3-4 pin slider might be the best of both worlds. I could run a 20-30-40 set up and have the ability to dial out as far as I like for long shots. It won't clean up my sight picture but I also retain the ability to shoot quickly at my main engagement distances without having to adjust the sight.

Thoughts?

Graves14

WKR
I'm in CT, hunt what is likely similar terrain to you. I have a Montana Black Gold 3 pin slider. 20/30/40 for hunting and use the bottom as a slider out to 110yds for practice and 3D shoots. I am totally sold. Love this setup.

I really like my 3 pin slider. I cleared up my sight picture a ton when I eliminated 20 and 30 pin and instead went to a 20/30 pin then a 40 pin and 50 pin. I am about 1.5" high at 20 and just less than that low at 30 if I am dead on with that pin. Now I actually adjust my aim once I have that pin set perfect. I cannot tell you how much getting the 20 and 30 pin spread our helped my aiming. My 50 is my slider and a smaller pin diameter.

honestly, if you skip the 20 yard pin you will be just fine. your 30 yard pin will only hit 2-4 inches high at 20, just aim a little low.. sliders are ok but they take a ton ton ton of practice. I have used 1, 3, 5, back to 3, back to one, and now 1 am on my second double pin rom spot hogg.

hosestly, if you put a bunch of pins in there just for the chance that you will practice that far out then I feel like you are wasting your money and weight.

its really nice to have a clean sight picture, and i love the vertical pin on the hoggs. The doubple pin with the double pointer is perfect for me. I set my top pin at 35 90% of the time and i know the bottom pin is right at 50... then my top pin s the slider. it will be nice to know what the bottom pin is though for if the animal moves as you draw etc.

I have tried them all, 3 is great, 2 is my favorite, 5 or more you may as well jsut stick to a fixed pin. I used to set up my bubble to hit right at 80, then my five pins were 10 yard increments to 30. worked great.easy to stavk pins and reasch 100

Joe

lintond

WKR
I really like my 3 pin slider. I cleared up my sight picture a ton when I eliminated 20 and 30 pin and instead went to a 20/30 pin then a 40 pin and 50 pin. I am about 1.5" high at 20 and just less than that low at 30 if I am dead on with that pin. Now I actually adjust my aim once I have that pin set perfect. I cannot tell you how much getting the 20 and 30 pin spread our helped my aiming. My 50 is my slider and a smaller pin diameter.

Can you elaborate? Is your pin set for 25? I set mine for 30/40/50 and just hold low for 20.

Kilboars

WKR
Thanks. I didn't read that thread due to the title. Good info.

True. Doesn't sound like the same topic.

I shoot the Black Gold Pure 75 with a 5 pin slider. I like the slider for practice out to the farther yards. Also nice to choose all your pin sizes and colors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive shot a single pin slider whitetail hunting for years so im use to moving my sight under pressure, but this year i decided to try something a little different. I bought a 3 pin housing for my sight so i can take quicker shots without making an adjustment. I have yet to shoot far distances with it due to just getting a new bow and weather factors here. It seems like it will be a slick setup though.

I have an Axcel Accutouch sight with one of their accustat housings. Lots of adjustment with this sight.

Can you elaborate? Is your pin set for 25? I set mine for 30/40/50 and just hold low for 20.

My top pin is set more like 27. I just shoot a few arrows at 20 then step back to 30 aim at the same spot and see where they hit. I adjust my pin until they are equally low and high or the 30 is a little less low than 20 is high. The difference for me is about from the tip of my index finger to the second joint or just under for both 20 and 30. Then once the pin is set I will hold the pin low, dead on, or high to match what distance I am shooting 20, 27, 30.

Really no different than using a 30 pin and knowing how high you hit at 20. Biggest advantage for me is you don't have two pins basically touching that block out that portion of the sight housing. I never thought they did until I combined those into one pin and I could suddenly see so much more.

lintond

WKR
My top pin is set more like 27. I just shoot a few arrows at 20 then step back to 30 aim at the same spot and see where they hit. I adjust my pin until they are equally low and high or the 30 is a little less low than 20 is high. The difference for me is about from the tip of my index finger to the second joint or just under for both 20 and 30. Then once the pin is set I will hold the pin low, dead on, or high to match what distance I am shooting 20, 27, 30.

Really no different than using a 30 pin and knowing how high you hit at 20. Biggest advantage for me is you don't have two pins basically touching that block out that portion of the sight housing. I never thought they did until I combined those into one pin and I could suddenly see so much more.

That makes sense. I went with 30 so I could still gap between 30 & 40. I also figured at inside of 30 I have better groups which allows me to be off more in my aim. What I love about archery is each person can get similar results out of the different setups.

gansettx

FNG
I have both an Axcel Armortech fixed 5 pin and an Axcel Accustat slider 5 pin. Honestly if you learn how to split gap you can shoot out to 80-100 using your 5 pin fixed if you currently go out to 60 yards with your setup. Much easier than fumbling around trying to move a sight imho.

CareyJAF50

Lil-Rokslider
I just put a 5 pin Hogg It on my new Carbon Defiant and I feel its the best pos both worlds in my opinion. I get the 20-60 fixed, and if I need a longer shop I can dial with a little more precision. Sweet setup.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I also run a 5 pin with a slider. Go .19 on the top 4 then .10 for my bottom reference pin. Shooting the Spot Hogg Tommy Hogg. Working on getting their new model with the multi ring ability for the housing, and write a review article on here. I'll have the configuration the same as now for that.

I tried swapping to a double pin, but I can't get away from the 5.

Dameon

WKR
I also have a 5-pin Tommy Hogg and have really come to love the dang thing. I used to think that I needed to remove a couple of pins to open up the sight picture, but I use all my pins and the slider on a regular basis at the local 3D range. I previously had a single-pin HHA slider and I just couldn't get used to always having to dial in shots that I would have already had pins for, typically 40 and 50 yards. If I did change my Tommy, it would be to get the new MRT head with all green pins and smaller 0.10 pins for the bottom two pins. I have green, yellow, and red alternating 0.19 pins now and I find I have a hard time seeing the yellow and red pins in fading light. The green is always bright and clear for me.

mtfallon

Lil-Rokslider
I ordered a 4 pin Tommy Hogg from SouthShore archery and love it. Like many others have said, I went .19 .19 .19 .10

This way I have fixed out to 50 and can dial beyond that, I think it's the best of both worlds! I almost went with the 3 pin housing but have shot several deer at 40-48yrds and opted for the 4th pin so I'm covered to 50 without sliding.

mtfallon

Lil-Rokslider
The other thing to keep in mind when using multi pin sliders is that you generally use your bottom pin as your "slider pin" to get maximum yardage before you run out of clearance. if you run a 3pin sight in the large housing, you won't get as much clearance unless you set your first pin dead center. It took some getting used to having most of my pins in the bottom 2/3 of the housing but now I don't even notice it. It takes some playing around to get the right starting point but hopefully you get the jist of what I'm saying.

WKR
Just picked up the Axcel accustat housing for my accutouch sight. It is green red green on the pins. Thinking of having my red pin be the slider and that way, even when dialing, I will have a plus/minus reference point in case the animal moves slightly after dialing. The plus/minus will be different for every dialed range but I'm thinking it will give a reference point for more refined guessing. Not exactly sure how I'm going to use it yet.

So I have been noodling with the idea of a new sight. Currently using a 5 pin fixed set at 20-30-40-50-60. I hunt the east in PA and NY where shots are going to be 20-40 yards. I hunt mainly from the ground with a little tree stand action now and the.

I want to stretch out my shots in practice to 80-100 so have been researching sliders. I was honing in on single pin models but have since reconsidered.

I seems like a 3-4 pin slider might be the best of both worlds. I could run a 20-30-40 set up and have the ability to dial out as far as I like for long shots. It won't clean up my sight picture but I also retain the ability to shoot quickly at my main engagement distances without having to adjust the sight.

Thoughts?

black gold makes a fantastic slider sight with multipin...if you need more help just let us know

SquidHC

Lil-Rokslider
Spot Hogg Fast Eddie XL 3 pin - 20, 40, 50. Pin gapping from 20-40 is easy, especially with a flat shooting bow. Anything past 50 you can dial. Best of all worlds.