Multi Purpose Pack Questions

I’m in NC, and looking for a good pack that is big enough to load up with 50lbs of gear and be used as a check in when I’m flying to a hunting trip, yet easily able to compress to a day pack or 1-2 night solo trips. Kind of thinking something with attachments such as a lid or other pouches might be a good route, but I’d like some suggestions on that. As far as price, I’d rather spend the money up front and have what I want and what works rather than not be satisfied and doing this again a year or two from now. Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: scp
I'd highly recommend Exo Mountain Gear. Their 4800 is pretty awesome, and would meet your requirements. I have an older 5500 and I love it, cincnes down easily but also can expand and carry a ton. I also enjoyed mystery ranch, but for my body, exo fits better.

22lr

WKR
I have a Stone Glacier Sky Archer, and love it for just this. Can go from day pack to 10 day pack with a few strap pulls. Only need 15lbs of gear for the day, cool, no problem. Need 65lbs, no problem. I love how easy these things are to cinch down and adjust. I use a large duffle for when I check it, just helps protect the bag and keeps all the straps tucked in.

Fedster

FNG
Caveat: the best pack is a matter of personal preference -- in an ideal world you should test different packs than decide.

My own experience about a pack that flies a lot on the overhead compartment: a Seek Outside revolution frame + breakaway bag. I flew every week for 4 years with one at the lowest setting (SO frames can be made shorter or longer with extenders the user can handle). The lowest setting is actually 2 inches longer than the maximum allowed by airliners, so if you must be extra sure, cut 2 inches from the top of the frame, and fly in that mode, while carrying two long extenders -- when you land, reconfigure the pack (2 minutes of work?), adding the extenders. I think you'd be able to go from 26 to 22 inches and back trivially easy.

That is the frame done.

For bag you can choose one of SO bags or rig up a different bag (that's why I love external frames). That should sort you out ok.

Elkhntr08

WKR
I know they’re not popular on here, but I like my eberlestock F1 mainframe. Sold my EXO and put together the system I have now.
Get the tall frame. I put together the rifle scabbard, saddle bag, drybag and transformer pack. I like that I can taylor it to whatever hunt I’m on. The EXO or most other packs lock you in to their idea of what you need with a few add on pack or pouches.
Guys will say the Eberlestock is a heavy pack, but the frame, saddle and dry bag weighs less than the EXO for a day pack. Plus it’s a lot easier to pack meat with the frame.
I’m not sure it it would qualify as a carry on because of the shelf. There’s a thread in DIY where a member made it foldable. I haven’t went down that hole yet.

I’ve taken my Bikini Frame/DT1 when flying. Thing compresses down to around a 2200 and expands out to 7200. I wouldn’t hesitate to take my Hoodlum.

Fedster

FNG
Dang, I did not read the OP properly -- if you are happy to check in the bag I think any of the high quality packs would do (the trick is being able to find the one that works best for you). If you check in a pack, to avoid airliners destroying straps/belts, etc, I'd find a very large stuff sack that can envelop the (packed) bag, frame, and straps all in one go, and check it in like that, as one large, smooth package, so straps, buckles and so on do not get stuck someplace and ripped off.