Multi State Turkey Hunts?

TreyPound

FNG
How many of you hunt multiple States, and if so, which ones are you hitting this year?

I'll be hunting MN, WI, SD, and maybe IL this year, and possibly more depending on how the season goes for me from the start.

hobbes

WKR
When you say "this year" I'm assuming you mean spring 2020. It's been a while since I hunted multiple states. Been staying in MT and hunting across the state the last few years.

Hoping to hit SD next season in late May and my wife is on board with a trip to FL in March for Osceola and some beach time.

I hunt 5+ states a season. Right now my plans are to hit Maine, NH, and VT for my 'big trip' next spring. Will tie on Mass if I have the time. I hit Missouri every spring, 2020 will make 13 consecutive yrs there. Also be hopping over to AL to hunt some. If I draw Arizona or Nevada, I'll tie California into that trip.

Yeah, I got it bad.

hobbes

WKR
I hunt 5+ states a season. Right now my plans are to hit Maine, NH, and VT for my 'big trip' next spring. Will tie on Mass if I have the time. I hit Missouri every spring, 2020 will make 13 consecutive yrs there. Also be hopping over to AL to hunt some. If I draw Arizona or Nevada, I'll tie California into that trip.

Yeah, I got it bad.

Are you making an effort towards all 49?

joshn

FNG

Yeah, I got it bad.

What kind of turkey do you have in the NE? Asking as a Kansan that will be in ME this spring.

CutBait

FNG
Personally I haven't ventured more than a few hours from were my home is, which means MN, WI and IA on a routine basis. Went to the Black Hills of SD a handful of years ago with a buddy and had an awesome, but very short trip. Went on a solo camping trip to NE earlier this year, was successful, and certainly want to head back in 2020 if time allows.

However, I would really like to head "south" for an Eastern bird. Perhaps MO, TN, KY, or MS. I clearly haven't put much thought into it. Due to family, little kids, and work schedule my spring trips are typically limited to one out-of-state hunt per year. I need to be able to drive and hunt within the same day so it limits my travels to 8 hrs from home, which presently keeps my trips within the Midwest.

Personally I haven't ventured more than a few hours from were my home is, which means MN, WI and IA on a routine basis. Went to the Black Hills of SD a handful of years ago with a buddy and had an awesome, but very short trip. Went on a solo camping trip to NE earlier this year, was successful, and certainly want to head back in 2020 if time allows.

However, I would really like to head "south" for an Eastern bird. Perhaps MO, TN, KY, or MS. I clearly haven't put much thought into it. Due to family, little kids, and work schedule my spring trips are typically limited to one out-of-state hunt per year. I need to be able to drive and hunt within the same day so it limits my travels to 8 hrs from home, which presently keeps my trips within the Midwest.
You'd definitely don't want to pick MS of those four! This coming from a resident there.

I'd choose MO or KY. Go to MO the first weekend of their season so you can kill your second bird the following Monday. (you can only kill 1 the first week)

I plan on trying to hunt Nebraska and Missouri this year, they border me in Kansas . One day Florida, in the palms and the pines. Kansas has both Rios and the Eastern.
I went through and looked up all the no-res costs for turkey. I think I’ve got them mostly right. Some states are pretty convoluted. When possible a “tourist” license was accounted for, usually 3-7 days.

• Alabama - $136-193
  • Alaska - AK
  • Arizona - $105
  • Arkansas - $55-350-
  • California - $175
  • Colorado - $151
  • Connecticut - $117
  • Delaware - $75-199
  • Florida - $175
  • Georgia - $170
  • Hawaii - HI
  • Idaho - $80
  • Illinois - $75-125
  • Indiana - $120
  • Iowa - $144
  • Kansas - $155
  • Kentucky - $235
  • Louisiana - $336
  • Maine - $135
  • Maryland - $130
  • Massachusetts - $105
  • Michigan - $166
  • Minnesota - $96
  • Mississippi - $145
  • Missouri - $190
  • Montana - $130
  • Nebraska - $109
  • Nevada - $205
  • New Hampshire - $144
  • New Jersey - 152
  • New Mexico - $165
  • New York - $120
  • North Carolina - $160
  • North Dakota - $80 Fall only
  • Ohio - $218
  • Oklahoma - $152
  • Oregon - $120
  • Pennsylvania - $101
  • Rhode Island - $32
  • South Carolina - $240
  • South Dakota - $100
  • Tennessee - $214
  • Texas - $226
  • Utah - 166
  • Vermont - $138
  • Virginia - $111
  • Washington - $225
  • West Virginia - $155
  • Wisconsin - $60 ?
  • Wyoming - $75

dtrkyman

WKR
I hunt Illinois, Missouri, Indiana, Michigan and Nebraska most every year. Going to try and get some new ones in next year, Wisconsin for sure.

Want to hunt some Western states but seasons run at the same time so one of these years I will just skip the midwest, but its so easy to hunt multiple states in the midwest.

I killed 7 birds in Illinois,Michigan Indiana and Missouri in less than 3 weeks. Had one heck of a season, even called in a few more for others during that time frame!

hammerguy

FNG
I plan on trying to hunt Nebraska and Missouri this year, they border me in Kansas . One day Florida, in the palms and the pines. Kansas has both Rios and the Eastern.
I went through and looked up all the no-res costs for turkey. I think I’ve got them mostly right. Some states are pretty convoluted. When possible a “tourist” license was accounted for, usually 3-7 days.

• Alabama - $136-193
  • Alaska - AK
  • Arizona - $105
  • Arkansas - $55-350-
  • California - $175
  • Colorado - $151
  • Connecticut - $117
  • Delaware - $75-199
  • Florida - $175
  • Georgia - $170
  • Hawaii - HI
  • Idaho - $80
  • Illinois - $75-125
  • Indiana - $120
  • Iowa - $144
  • Kansas - $155
  • Kentucky - $235
  • Louisiana - $336
  • Maine - $135
  • Maryland - $130
  • Massachusetts - $105
  • Michigan - $166
  • Minnesota - $96
  • Mississippi - $145
  • Missouri - $190
  • Montana - $130
  • Nebraska - $109
  • Nevada - $205
  • New Hampshire - $144
  • New Jersey - 152
  • New Mexico - $165
  • New York - $120
  • North Carolina - $160
  • North Dakota - $80 Fall only
  • Ohio - $218
  • Oklahoma - $152
  • Oregon - $120
  • Pennsylvania - $101
  • Rhode Island - $32
  • South Carolina - $240
  • South Dakota - $100
  • Tennessee - $214
  • Texas - $226
  • Utah - 166
  • Vermont - $138
  • Virginia - $111
  • Washington - $225
  • West Virginia - $155
  • Wisconsin - $60 ?
  • Wyoming - $75

RealTree puts out an annual Turkey Nation report, which includes the math for residents and non-residents.
For instance, Iowa charges $144 for your NR hunting license/habitat stamp but then you still need to buy your turkey permit - so you're in for over $250.